Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta W 2023 .........................

Welcome to the Ws. A letter so great it took two Vs to make it.

Do you trust me again? Go ahead turn it over! Trust me ..................................

I pass by this old mailbox every day. The old rusty box is nailed to an oak that has to be 150 years old. After years of passing, it by, I decided to open the box to see if anything was inside. After all, there isn’t even a house nearby to which it could serve anyway. Any home it serviced long ago is torn down, I’m sure.

I noticed an old letter inside, as you can see in picture #2. I looked at the postmark date, and it said July 7, 1903! Due to age and moisture, the addressee on the envelope was not readable, so I opened up the envelope hoping to find some local history and a good story I could share with you. Here is what the letter inside said. “We have been trying to reach you about your vehicle’s extended warranty.”

Vegas Baby! Get out your wallet.

I can think about better places to chill but what a view.

Give us a great view today with your Ws:

Comments (27)

• Saija_Finland
    2 months ago

White On

Wide Brim

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 months ago

Out of all the things that the letter could have contained...great story! Nascargo lol! I especially like that it was sponsored by Morton Salt.

Nice White On Saija.

White Dove late season a little the worse for wear.

Wide Brim

Wind Beneath My Wings. Another behemoth I have to find room for.

Winsome

Winter Snow

Wolverine with a hunk out of it from a fallen branch.

Woodland Elf

Wylde Green Cream on planting day in late Sept.

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    2 months ago

White Bikini -- the only white-centered hosta that has done well for me:

Waterslide:

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

Unbelievable the money spent on the super bowl and the Lions aren't even in it.

Whirlwind

Winter Warrior

Wolverine

Wishing Well - "wish" it would do something

White Christmas - last good year of it, I've given up on it, always tattered and slug magnet.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Paula, great jokes and stories today, but I didn’t fall for the turning the iPad around this time, though I wanted too! Haha! I love the photo of the ram high up on the ledge…..so majestic! I am wondering what his next steps were as there don’t seem to be any.

Saija and Laurie, very nice Wide Brims.

Laurie, if my Winter Snow gets as big as yours, I may have to move a whole bunch of hostas! I was looking at Wind Beneath My Wings and considering it, seeing yours is very tempting! I often wonder how much land you have as you have soooooo many hostas and such beautiful landscaping. I think you could do tours for a good cause……or maybe just to BUY MORE HOSTAS! 😂😂😂

Ben, White Bikini is lovely….. also looked at buying that one, but thought Slug magnet…..so glad to hear it isn’t. Nice Waterslide!

Old_dirt, your Whirlwind is terrific! Really really great coloring! I also love White Christmas. Even in a pot it’s a slug magnet hey? Do you do vinegar or ammonia drenches! I really like the hosta and may try it in a pot like you have it.

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Paula..I saw the shark!..

we bought a new car 11-3..I’ve received several letters that started with ”call immediately before your warranty expires”..the car just reached 700 miles..

old_dirt..I wanted the Lions to be in the Super Bowl too..🙁

nice W’s everyone..

Laurie..I have room for Wind Beneath My Wings!!!..love it..

Wheee!..April 29 2023

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Now my Ws:

This one keeps its color all season. Later in the season. I have 2

New last year, before mulch. In fall it developed 2 late blooms. It looks smaller because

I cut off the burned leaves.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Couple more: this one hold it color pretty well

I have 2 of these also

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

I hope this leaps this year

New last year and before mulch

debra

• garyz6ohio
    2 months ago

Warwick Comet

White Christmas

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 months ago

Amazing how comfortable the ram is up there! Vertigo must not be a thing for them.

Old_dirt, very pretty Whirlwind.

Gary, your White Christmas is beautiful!

A newly planted Wu La La. I hope it will be a fast grower.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Haha, it does resemble a happy shark!

debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 months ago

My only W from last season. Wheee is happy in a pot.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 months ago

Sherry..your Wheee is gorgeous!..mine is cute but not thriving..I think mine needs a new location..

• mbug_gw
    2 months ago

Nice W's everyone!

Warwick Comet

Waterslide 6-22-23

What's That 5-14-23

Wheee! 7-7-23

Whirlwind 6-7-23

White Bikini 6-3-22

• hosta_maker
    2 months ago

Here is a seedling similar to white on, it is an early attempt at blushing in variegation. i will keep at it, so i suspect eventually i will succeed.

the goal is a pink margin.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Ben and mbug, your pictures and comments have convinced me to get White Bikini! Love it!

Gary, I just ordered Warwick and hope mine will look as good as yours. I also LOVE White Christmas…. I am going to try that one, maybe in a pot first. I drench 2-3 times a season so maybe I won’t have slug problems old_dirt has had…..I’m wanting to add more medio-variegated hostas.

Sandyslopes,it looks like you got a nice Wu La La and I hope it grows fast for you! 👍🏽

Sherry, that is a fabulous Wheee! I have had mine for years and it’s only have the size of yours. Maybe I’ll pot it and see how it does…..

Ann, maybe pot your Wheee for a while and see how it does….🤔

Ben and mbug, I must be doing something wrong…. I’ve had my two Waterslides for 5 years and they are still so small……

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Hosta_maker, a blushing margin in hostas would certainly be terrific and quite an accomplishment! Love it!

debra

• garyz6ohio
    2 months ago

debra, I grow my White Christmas in a pot that's then set in a pedestal urn to keep it away from the slugs.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 months ago

Running a little late on posting. Great W's everyone.

Waterslide

Wave Runner

Wheee!

Wide Brim

Wolverine

World Cup

Wu-La-La

Wylde Green Cream

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Beth,love ALL of yours! You are another one that has such good sized Waterslide and Wheee. I think I will have to dig my WSs up, after 5 years, maybe the roots are being choked by the nearby arbotvitae trees. Sigh…..so much to do!

debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 months ago

Very nice White Bikini Ben.

old_dirt you certainly captured Whirlwind at the perfect time. Exceptional specimen.

Debra I think your Wheee is quite nice and World Cup is really coming along. We all have some that seem to dawdle don't we? I hope you get WBMW it has so many characteristics I look for. I garden around 1/4 of an acre but I have never measured. It is a good thing most of my property is forest. Lol If I had that million dollars I would fence against deer and get a whole bunch of new ones aside from planting the ones I have in a holding pattern. You are incredibly kind Debra and I thank you!

Ann go for it! You have the room and I know how much you love a great blue!

Gary WC is so nice. I had one in a pot but lost it.

Lisa I hope Wu La La leaps quickly but you have a great start on it.

Sherry your Wheee is incredible! You could teach a master class on pot culture.

mbug you have such perfect specimens of...everything!

hosta_maker I have no doubt you will succeed, very nice!

Beth what a great collection you have! World Cup has such great form.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 months ago

Love the ram photo! Makes me wonder where the photographer was hanging out to take this picture.

I have a few W's.

Wheee! Unfortunately is being crowded out. I think it should be bigger by now, but is holding its own.

Wolverine

Wu la la

War Paint. My War Paint began to deteriorate at one point. I planted it here in this very small space as there wasn't anywhere else to plant it. And then it just kept getting better and better. This year I need to remove both of these hosta but I am worried it will be difficult to get most of the roots.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 months ago

Waterslide takes a long time to get going. Last year was the 6th year I had it and it finally is looking mature. My husband ran over it with the truck this winter, hopefully it doesn't mind too much.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 months ago

Time to catch up. I have so many Ws and I didn't even get pics of them all. I love War Paint in the spring and since I don't have Niagara Falls . . . it's fine later.

Wave Runner is a fav so I have two. This one in full afternoon sun.

and this one in dappled morning sun . . . (oh never mind, no pic).

Wheee!

Well Shaked

Wildest Dream - hoping for a leap year this year.

Winter Frost

and the super-photogenic Wonderland

Now where did I put Wunderbar and Wundergold, they should be here somewhere.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 months ago

Oh here they are: