Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_stage

Help! Stoning the inside of tower, yes or no?

2 years ago

Trying to decide if we should bring what’s outside, inside, to make it look as if the tower is actually made of stone? This is a rendering of the tower from the inside with drywall and one of my very amateur tries at copy and paste from our actual construction photos of the dining room, which is in view from the foyer.
I’ve also included a photo of our house from the outside and a close up of our actual stone. I am thinking of bringing our stone inside the tower, and also planning on using the stone for an accent wall in the dining room, attached to the foyer. Thoughts? Too much? It will also be used for the fireplace in the great room also attached to foyer.

Comments (47)

  • 2 years ago

    painting with a dark tone would be more interesting, less bulk.

    and another complimentary tone for the door wall to highlight the space.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! Yes sorry I should have said this is just scratch coat on stucco. Actual color planned is same as soffit, like a cream/light tan, with windows as the accent (olive green). I just posted the outside photo for style vision for my interior question 😊

  • 2 years ago

    The white on the inside isn’t the color I’ll pick. The inside of that arch is a wall and I’ll likely put my buffet in there but definitely won’t be white walls anywhere

  • 2 years ago

    I tried to see what it would look like with copy and paste but white walls won’t be my actual choice. Here’s a look at the dining room construction so you can see that back wall would be stone with an inset area of drywall

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Treat stone as if it is a structural material, and not as a paint that colors a wall that can be selected at a whim. Assumedly the designer of the house had an intent of continuity and varying from that could destroy it.

  • 2 years ago

    Yes. He has two diff versions with stone wall in dining room. I liked our stone, so I thought I’d go that route. Also, I thought in treating the stone as a structural element, it might make sense to stone the inside of the tower also since the outside is stoned. Just wanted to see if anyone liked the idea or if I’m making a huge mistake

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I'm not crazy about the idea, but I like more formal interiors anyway.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    There may be issues with applying a long flat stone to a curved surface. The outside of the tower appears to be a series of flat surfaces.

  • 2 years ago

    @mark bischak, architect - the walls look curved on the rendering, but they aren’t. They mimic the outside

  • 2 years ago

    Cool house!! On the interior rendering anyway, it looks difficult to decide where to end the stone around the stairwell if you did do it inside. And there is enough detail in the stairwell with the windows, sconces, and railing details so i'd skip it also.

  • 2 years ago

    Kind of like this?

  • 2 years ago

    The doorway you see is the lower level, and we would also use stone on the outside walls going down the steps going down

  • 2 years ago

    Horrible copy and paste but you get the idea hopefully

  • 2 years ago

    The inside of the house is relatively open plan, and the tower you show in the finished photo is not a contained space, so a bit of stone applied would not really make sense.

    We have looked at some Tudor Revival houses and these had entry/staircase towers that were sometimes dressed stone, but the "towers" were always a complete form, closed off, and the exterior materials of the houses were generally reiterated and executed all over the interior like dressed stone fireplace mantles and door surrounds on some of the main rooms and such--but all done in a comprehensive way. This really is not a material you want to tack on, here and there.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 2 years ago

    I think this is all going to look obviously like a veneer, which is not a great look in my opinion. i’d leave it outside.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! I love this group and respect and appreciate everyone’s opinions!!

  • 2 years ago

    The green is so gorgeous. What color is it?

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! Andersen Windows Olive Green. Plan is to make stucco a cream color, same as soffit so windows are the accent color. Tower and small front porch is going to be copper.

  • 2 years ago

    Also agree to leave it off. There's no good stopping point on the interior either - at least the outside can give the illusion that it's a cylinder shape.

  • 2 years ago

    Um okay thanks?

  • 2 years ago

    Love love love the green windows! The wood trim and beams and iron railings in the rendering look lovely. Beautiful house!

    I agree with everyone else - no stone in the tower. It would look heavy. (And from a practical standpoint, so hard to clean.) I am a little unsure about where exactly it would be in the dining room but I think I would skip it there too.

    It might just be my screen but the trim of the house looks a little peachy to me. I assume that’s not what you are going for, so I would make sure that the stucco doesn’t have that undertone.

  • 2 years ago

    k8cd Thank you!! I fought for those and insisted on the green windows!! Yes it’s very hard to capture the true colors of the stone and the cream soffit. I’ll be sure to stay clear of peach tones! It’s so hard to pick colors.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Is it natural stone or man made?

  • 2 years ago

    Man made

  • 2 years ago

    So the walls inside the tower are not curved. I was thinking of placing stone like this. But I’m not sure how the transition would look to the drywall on the upstairs wall and after all the comments I will likely scrap the idea

  • 2 years ago

    Angela - the stone on the interior wall could be kind of cool. But it is also a big expense, visually and physical heavy, and takes away from the intricate details on the stairwell. Plus it could make resale difficult in the future.


    Do you feel like your space will be too bland? Keep in mind you will have rugs and furniture to add interest and detail. You could add wall tapestries if the castle look is what you are going for. They can be easily changed and removed if your syle changes. I'm excited to see the rest of the build - the green windows are awesome!

  • 2 years ago

    I just thought it would make it look like a structural element because the outside is stone and add yes interest to the foyer. It’s not real stone though, so maybe that should be taken into consideration. We already have the stone, as we bought the whole lot on clearance. There’s a lot left after we did the outside. I really like it but we will also use it for the stone fireplace in the great room so maybe doing the staircase would be too much. We’ve got it to use, but we may just use it outside for a stone fence or use it for whatever patio garden we do. Thank you so much :).

  • 2 years ago

    Here’s a couple more pix of the stone from other angles of the house. This house is hard to style! I really like it but it’s out of my comfort zone a bit. Trying to go French country more than dark gothic castle but it’s hard! Stucco will be cream to sort of blend with stone and make green windows pop.

  • 2 years ago

    No stone - it will limit your decorating choices

  • 2 years ago

    Rhonj

  • 2 years ago

    We’re adding a couple of stone veneer accent walls inside our new build and because of the weight that was something that had to be decided early in the planning as engineering had to account for the weight on those walls. Since it’s man made that you are using it should weigh less, but may still need some additional support and engineering? I’d save the extra for a retaining wall and fire pit in the backyard.

  • 2 years ago

    Oooh good to know! I had no idea!

  • 2 years ago

    If you do it, I'd install matching doors.


  • 2 years ago

    Ha ha ha. So funny! Thanks 😘

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    No matter many times you post pictures of interior stone-ing and discuss how you think it will tie the inside to the outside - my vote is no. As others have insinuated, it looks fake. (And actually, if the stones are manmade, they are.)

    - from someone who once owned a natural limestone house with three natural limestone fireplaces

  • 2 years ago

    Alrighty then. You’ll see no more photos from me about this. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly and it has helped me a lot so thank you. I will leave my fake stone outside. We will only use it on the fireplace in the great room. Hopefully it looks okay there. Thanks again.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    No stone.

  • 2 years ago

    @James Overton: "Its just one of the worst and most pretentous examples of a phallic appendage imaginable."

    No, she's performing a public service by putting a beacon inside the tower to prevent wayward ships from crashing into the neighborhood.

  • 2 years ago

    Trurhfully, James is not tactful or polite. He’s also not wrong.

  • 2 years ago

    @wdccruise Does houzz have community standards for idiots like you and @James Overton? Why so mean? I think you must be in the wrong forum. Struggling comics go away. This is not for you.

  • 2 years ago

    @littlebug Zone 5 Missouri. Thanks so much for that. If you don’t like the style, fine. To each his own! Let’s just help promote and encourage their unhelpful terribly mean comments because it makes the world go round, right. Wow. This is not what I thought this forum was about.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    @Angela Stage: "Struggling comics go away."

    What? Instead of providing directions to visitors, you can just tell them, "Just look for the lighthouse!" James and I will sail over for crab cakes after the house is complete.

  • 2 years ago

    Since the trolls are out, the thread is really not going be productive anymore, so you should still be able to delete it: there is a series of boxes at the bottom of your version of the original post with Delete over on the far right.

  • 2 years ago

    I’d be more than happy to invite you over when we’re done. I’ll introduce you to my husband who would love to meet you. He has a great sense of humor also.

  • 2 years ago

    People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.