Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmist

Does anyone have Ebb Tide?

Garden Mist
2 months ago

I was thinking of purchasing Ebb Tide but curious to know how it performs? I am in zone 8a, BC Canada. Any issues with this lovely rose?

Comments (15)

• Garden Mist
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Wow! Your Ebb Tide looks "AMAZING" and I love it with your pink Gertrude Jekyll. Lovely combination! roses. Thanks so much for showing your photo. I've been looking at Ebb Tide for the past year or so; I think I'm sold on it. Now, I'm just hoping my favorite nursery in my community has it again this year. They carried it last year but I was 'broke' haha - How tall did your Ebb Tide get? and how are the leaves for black spot and other diseases? Thanks so much for your help PDXRobertZ8

• SophiaTheReader .
    2 months ago

I love Ebb Tide! In cooler weather the flowers are a very deep purple. in hot and humid they do turn magenta.

So here you can see the difference in color. the deep purple was near fall and magenta was middle of summer. This is a first year own root from Heirloom and it took off! It was my favorite rose I planted this year ( I planted 13 and have already ordered 27 for this year much to the Hubby's chargrin since he's the hole digger LOL) it has a lovely spice fragrance. It did get some black spot by late summer; however, this rose got the least amount and did the best with it. Unfortunately in our hot and humid climate it's always a battle. Overall, very happy with this rose and excited to see it this season. I should add, it had roses on it for most of the season(basically a continual bloomer) and i loved the erect, tall, and straight habit of it. No octopus canes… can't say the same for my Austins and Orange n' Lemons

• PDXRobertZ8
    2 months ago

Thanks! My Ebb Tide is a standard on a 36" stem, and so I couldn't really say how big it would be in a shrub format. Maybe check it out on HelpMeFind to see what they say?

My Ebb Tide had zero issues with disease. I've noticed that all of my rose standards seem to avoid disease (higher off the ground maybe? able to dry more quickly?). But I think it's pretty well known for having good disease resistance.

• Blue Mountain Girl Zone 8 Va
    2 months ago

I have an Ebb Tide however it stayed pretty small for me last year. I planted it as a band in the spring. I think it was healthy though! I’ll have to update on it this summer once I can see how it does in its second season.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Two of my Ebb Tide plants which I've grown since 2006. They are grafted and hardy here in zone 7, hot and dry SW Idaho. I have a third Ebb Tide, about 10 years old, which is equally good. Their color is quite consistent. Twilight Zone is a little darker. No fungal diseases here in this semiarid desert. Great scent. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago

Looks like Diane and I both got our Ebb Tides the year it was introduced... 2006. It's just a perfect rose for me, blooms like crazy, no disease, plus it stays small... mine is around 3 foot tall. I grow many of my roses in large pots, so that's great for me. Mine is grafted, and has held up spectacularly well for 18 years.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Susan, I love Ebby with orange. I need to fit an Orange Dude in with by Ebb Tide in back. What is your orange rose? Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Diane, the orange is the darker orange version of Orange Splash (older and out-of-commerce). It's technically orange and white striped, but both of mine have canes that have sported to the darker version, while keeping some of the originals. Honestly, I kinda like the darker version better, due to the "painted" quality on the petals. Orange Dude would look so great with Ebb Tide! But I always put purple, yellow, and orange roses together :-D

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago

Diane, here's a pic of my Orange Splash the way it was bred to be. Same plant.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Susan, my front yard flower beds were planned with yellow and purple to predominate, and they still do. That's neat about the Orange Splash sporting. That deep orange just looks so good with purple. It's not loud and dominating. Diane

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 months ago

I'm going to join the chorus here, Ebb Tide is fantastic. Mine is own root. Great fragrance, great colors, great rebloom, great health. Compact plant and tidy plant.

• Garden Mist
    Original Author
    2 months ago

How tall does your EBB TIDE get please? I just seen it advertised at my local nursery and they say it is 2.5 feet. Is that about right? Thank you all.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Mine are between 3 and 4 feet tall, while the third plant in a different location is a bit shorter. ET is a floribunda, which mainly are smaller, but there are exceptions like certain monster Julia Child roses. Heh. Twilight Zone is taller and it's a grandiflora supposedly. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago

Mine stays to 3 feet, or under.