Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

New seedlings 2024

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last month
last modified: last month

This is the last alphabet post for 2024. Show us your new seedlings today.

we had some nasty weather this evening. tornado, hail and high winds. I dont think there was any damage in the immediate area…..high was 72* today, high tomorrow 30*……. good grief😵‍💫

My son lives about 20 miles north of me. A home a few doors from him got hit by lightning and started a fire. Thankfully no one got hurt, house is a mess but still standing.

This photo is Debra’s baby , Chance Encounter X Never Been Kissed….it likes my garden.

My bee pollen daylily

Sherry

Comments (19)

• shive
    last month

Sherry - I love how well that pink seedling does in your garden. I'll start with my first-year pink seedlings. These are all babies from my intro, Bubblegum Queen.

Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen 1 - Semi-evergreen with 7.5-inch bloom, 18 buds and rebloom

Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen 2 - Semi-evergreen with 7.5-inch bloom and 16 buds. There was a third one in this cross that is very round and rosy red but I never photographed it because it had too much thrip damage.

Pink Aloha X Bubblegum Queen #1 - Evergreen with 7 inch bloom and rebloom

American Doll X Bubblegum Queen #1 - 6 inch bloom

American Doll X Bubblegum Queen 2 - 6 inch bloom

Pink Lemonade Party X Bubblegum Queen 1 - 5.5 inch bloom

Jurassic Pink X Bubblegum Queen 1 - 6.75 inch bloom

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Brad KY 6b
    last month

Sherry, Chance Encounter x Never Been Kissed is really pretty. I like the bee pollen one too.

Debra, wow, Bubblegum Queen makes some good children. I like both of the Judy's Jewel crosses the best, especially 1.

Wind Frills x VT Rose Rosy, 12 buds. 7", 15". late.

Wilson Spider x Carmen Renee, 9", 33' 9 buds. late. love the color.

Christopher Russell x Orange Velvet, 6" 16" em 16 buds

So Lovely x North Wind Dancer, 9", 34", 11 buds, mid

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    last month

Next I'll show my first-year bloomers from UF breeding:

Freedom of Expression X Violet Sabrewing gave me three nice seedlings. I still have a fourth to bloom from it this year. I didn't record any stats on these.

The next two are from seeds I bought from Laura. The cross is Pink Panther Paws X Sultry Girls.

This one is a unique shade of orangey pink.

Confessions of a Hemaholic X Entwined in the Vine

Carolina Cool Down X Crintonic Rain Dances

This one did not come from UF breeding, but it has skinnier petals and a 9-inch bloom. The cross is (Symphony of Praise X Henry Lorraine) x Bubblegum Queen. It had 18 buds and rebloomed. Semi-evergreen lavender wine colored bitone.

(Cowgirl Spurs X Blazing Saddles) X Skater - It doesn't always show the pattern

Blue Eyed Bandit X Twirling Tower - In person the blue tones in this one are amazing!

More seedlings to come!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    last month

Debra, the ones from Freedom of Expression X Violet Sabrewing are very beautiful!!!

• shive
    last month

Brad - Yes, Bubblegum Queen has shown itself to be an amazing parent. I crossed it with all my pinks to see what kind of 7 and 8 inch kids it would produce. All four you posted are nice. I think the second one is my top favorite because of the color.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last month

Sherry, I like the big yellow throat on your bee pollen seedling.

Debra, that's a beautiful collection of pinks. I especially like American Doll X Bubblegum Queen #1. It has such a rich rose coloring. Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen #2 catches my eye too. Of the second group I like the patterned seedling. It would be nice even without the pattern.

Brad, I like the Christopher Russell seedling. I like the big open form and the bright coloration.

Here are some of my first year bloomers. I will group the dip and tets separately.

I'll start with dips. This was our third year working seriously with dips and it has been interesting. Most of these are small flowered or at least that is what they appeared to be in their first year.

We were a bit surprised to see this color out of a yellow crossed with red. This is Adavier X O Positive.

This is Brer Rabbit's Baby X Out of Balance.

I like the color on Little Strawberry Shortcake X Out of Balance.

This is O Positive X Ahoya. It appears that this flower is full-sized.

This is Twiggy X Out of Balance.

That's all for the diploids.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last month

Weatherwise, it's a really nasty day here. It's cold with strong gusty winds. It's partly sunny now but that not helping the temperature much with such strong winds.

Most of the tets I will show have eyes and hopefully edges.

These are some seedlings we were super exciting about. We have been working with Tom Adams look-a-likes for some time and finally are getting what we had hope for--a dark purple flower with a near black eye.

This one made us do the happy dance in the seedling field. It is Blackbird's Song X Eggplant Luminosity.

This is Ebony Pools X Eggplant Luminosity. The petal color is not as dark as we had hoped for, but I think the color is nice.

This one is Snidely Whiplash X Eggplant Luminosity.

Sometimes (many times) you don't get what you are looking for, but it's pretty nonetheless. This is Ebony Pools X Eggplant Luminosity. I love the rosy color with the big eye.

We got a lot of nice seedlings using Cherry Pie a la Mode X Rosie with a Ring.

Here is a sibling to the previous one. We are getting bigger eyes with more intense color and at least a partial red edge.

We had hoped to get a white with a patterned eye so we crosses Cherry Pie a la Mode with Jeepers Creepers. I think there might be a suggestion of a pattern in that eye. We'll see what it does this year. It's not white though.

One characteristic of some daylilies we believe to be overlooked is edges on sepals. Many Salter eyed daylilies has a bit of a picotee edge on the sepals. In most of the flowers showing this, it is not all the way around the sepals. Here is a picture of Shipwreck Cove showing this feature.

Of course, the problem is many of these daylilies are tender or at least under-performers in our climate. We would love to see this feature one hardy daylilies. It would be great too if the picotee edge would go all the way around the sepal. So we crossed Shipwreck Cove X Empire of Dawn and Dusk. We didn't get any edge on the sepals, but we got a really white flower with a great eye and edge. Hopefully, it has the hardiness of Empire of Dawn and Dusk, which is a great grower here.

More to come

Nancy

• shive
    last month

This group will be reds, patterns and near whites.

The Ultimate Sacrifice X Blood of Martyrs is my favorite new red bloom because of the depth of color and the white edge.

Roman Cohort X The Ultimate Sacrifice had tall scapes (31 inches) when most of my registered daylilies and seedlings did not. The cherry red color is a happy one.

Click Bait X (The Ultimate Sacrifice X Red Edition) - This one is interesting because of the dark sheen.

Unknown X Unknown (believed to be a Diver Down kid) - I really like the large triangular watermark and the white edge.

Gypsy Cats Kid X Ripsaw #3 - It had 12 buds and 28 inch scapes on its first bloom. Semi-evergreen that multiplies well. I think the bloom was just under 7 inches.

Sword of Justice X Warm In Winter

Tully Mars X Venetian Pools had 13 buds, which was excellent for an early bloomer in my garden last year. Good multiplier.

Kiss of Paradise X Facemaker bloomed in the late season last year. I hope it will continue to be a late bloomer since there are so few patterns in that bloom time. It had around 12 buds per scape. Excellent multiplier, great colors, and double edge. Scapes were 27 inches tall on this evergreen.

The next two are Stenciled Infusion X (Aztec Headdress X Banded Broadbill)

Last are two near white seedlings that bloomed very late last year. I don't know if they will be lates in the future or not.

(August Frost x Winter's Angel) x Last Snowflake

(Zuzu's Treasure X Dearest Valentine #2) X Believe in Angels had 15 and 17 buds.

That's all folks!

last month

Here is my last bunch.

I like the color and the edge on this one. It is Sihir X (Bodacious Bite X (My Friend Mary Jane X Crimson Stories)). Sihir and Bodacious Bite have been great growers in our garden. The original seedling in the cross was My Friend Mary Jane X Crimson Stories. My Friend Mary Jane is a puny grower and Crimson Stories is tender. I hope the two good grower's genes win out.

This one is a sibling to the previous one.

The last two are out of Bob's fulva program.

This is ((Fulva Korean X Empire of Dawn and Dusk) X Sonoran Desert Rose) X Candy-coated Confection.

This is (Fulva Korean X Crimson Stories) X Brazilian Flamingo.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• shive
    last month

Nan - I especially like your Brer Rabbit seedling - nice color and shape! The other ones that stand out to me are the first Sihir seedling, the Blackbird's Song Kid, and Shipwreck Cove X Empire of D and D. I like both seedlings from Cherry Pie. Thanks for your comments about my pink seedlings. The American Doll #1 has almost neon color when temps are cool, and I like that it's so very, very round. That patterned seedling you like always has patterned sepals but only has the patterned eye when temps are cool.

Brad - Thanks for your comment in the Freedom of Ex kids. I love the look of all blooms. I'm hoping at least one of them will develop good plant habits too. They're planted in part shade right now.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last month

I’m a bit overwhelmed here…where to start?!

Debra, several of these newbies caught my eye….Judys Jewel X BQ #2, Freedom X Violet the second bloom, Blueyed Bandit seedling, Blue Over You X All thing to all Men, Untamed Heart X Theres a Place and the Click Bait seedling. so many beauties!

Nancy, I love Brer Rabbits Baby X Out of Balance, Snidley Whiplash X Eggplant Luminosity, Fulva Korean X X Candy Costed Confection…..Bob came up with a really nice bloom.

Brad, I love the Wilson Spider X Carmen Rene seedling….such great color and a late

bloomer, would love to see it here.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    last month

Nancy, I too say WOW to Blackbird's Song X Eggplant Luminosity!!! Love the color and form and design. I really hope it takes off for you. I like the Snidely Whiplash kid too, and also (Fulva Korean X Crimson Stories) X Brazilian Flamingo.

Debra, Blue Over You X All Things to All Men is excellent!! I too like the red of
    The Ultimate Sacrifice X Blood of Martyrs, so rich!! I like all three of the Freedom of Expression X Violet Sabrewing cross, but the first one is WOW. Love the color and form and design.

Brad

• shive
    last month

Sherry - I see you are liking the ones with the blue tones. Thanks also for the love for the Click Bait seedling. It's different from what I usually produce and really has a velvety look.

Brad - Thanks for all your feedback! Blue Over You X All Things to All Men has pretty colors. I prefer its sib, which I failed to get a good picture of, that has a bigger triple edge. I'm looking forward to seeing both of those this year. I was surprised by how good the Freedom of Exp. kids were. There's one more sib to bloom, and I'm so curious to see what it will look like.

Debra

• shive
    last month

I left out out one of my new purple seedlings that I really like. It's $exy Samantha X Spacecoast Night Vision.

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    last month

There are some fantastic seedlings in this posting.

Debra: BLUE OVER YOU x ATTAM (love the color)

THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE x BLOOD OF MARTYRS (rich color, halo and white edge. I think I commented on it during bloom season.

ROMAN COHORT x THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (Great color and tall)

Nan: BLACKBIRD'S SONG x EGGPLANT LUMINOSITY (Awesome rich dark colors!)

Brad: WILSON SPIDER x CARMEN RENEE (Great color and I love the size of the bloom).

Here is my only new seedling to bloom this year.

This is out of EMERALD STARBURST x CLIFFJUMPER. I love the petal color and the big green throat. Not really happy with the petal placement. I will have to move this one out of the seedling bed to really see what it can do.

This is the first bloom ever for this seedling out of BASS GIBSON x SASSY SHANNON. Most likely a bridge plant. I will have to see what it does this year.

29 Flags over Conway x Ultimate Illusion. It is ok. May be heading for the compost pile after this year.

Here is another one of the EMERALD STARBURST x CLIFFJUMPER. Petals are better placed. I would like better color saturation on the sepals.

That is all from me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • shive
    last month

David - I like both of your Emerald Starburst kids. I hope they do well for you!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    last month

David, I too like your Emerald Starburst kids!!!

Brad

• shive
    last month

Here are a couple more purples out of Thunder Glow X a seedling that I thought had potential:

Debra