Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Home Depot getting serious about good offerings?

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
last month
last modified: last month

Here are some deals some of us may not be able to turn down:

Bare Root, two (2), pack:

Savannah, Kordes, ADR winner $37.39 ($18.70 each)

Oh Happy Day, Kordes, ADR winner, $26.66 ($13.33 each)

Plum Perfect, Kordes, ADR winner, $27.18 ($13.58 each)

Earth Angel, Kordes, ADR winner, $24.98 ($12.49 each)

Bliss, Kordes, ADR winner, $32.20 ($16.10 each)

Michelangelo, Meilland, $37.39 ($18.70 each)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Moonlight In Paris, Delbard, 3 gallon, $35.48.

There are more on the Home Depot web site. All are postage free, returns within 90 days of purchase, return to your local HD.

I believe more roses will be added as the season progresses, so check them out from time to time.

Moses

Comments (48)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last month

Moses , I ordered “ rise up lilac days “from Home Depot and it actually is coming tomorrow. I’ll share pics when it does . I’m so happy they offer some nice plants I can’t hunt down here . Believe it or not I don’t have many nice nurseries to choose from close by . Only one that is a a nice garden center ( and they arent partnered with proven winners )the rest locally are landscaping places . So I’m glad I could order some when the mood strikes me !

I know they had some of the brindabella roses last year too but oddly they were not available for delivery to Ca.

Also I found on Home Depot’s site a really nice decorative fence to hide my pool equipment. It made such a difference in my yard . It was delivered the day after i ordered it ! Super pleased .

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • erasmus_gw
    last month

Hope they're correctly ID'd. I might order one or two. I always order perlite in a big bag from Home Depot.

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked erasmus_gw
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

The twofer price is certainly right.

Now if they only could pencil Apricot Candy into their lineup.

Moses: In years past, you asked some tough and probing questions about Bliss, but I see it turned out to be a keeper for you. Can you please give a brief updated review here?

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Communication just now with NPN re: Apricot Candy.

The news is discouraging.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    last month

Oops! Neither Savannah nor Plum Perfect have an ADR designation. This surprises me because the reports on their superior qualities, particularly being Kordes roses, gave me the readiness in assuming they were ADR awardees.

Original Author
    last month

Rifis,

Bliss - vigor beyond compare, black spot cries briny tears as it dies a thousand deaths attempting to infect Bliss, blooms very freely, rock solid winter hardiness to the tips without protection of any kind. I have three of them now. Bliss' only fault is its flatish bloom when fully open. So many roses end up having no depth/height in the blooms' final stage before petal drop, that I try to just accept this as a mild irritation anymore.

Good ole' Lady Ashe's blooms were like a 5 layer birthday cake in depth/height, a joy to view from any angle. Quietness also has very good bloom height/depth because the outer petals recurve. Unfortunately Quietness is among the 'a bit short of bloom duration,' until petal fall. At least the petals drop cleanly. Still, Quietness is my favorite rose bush among many close runners-up.

Moses

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Thanks. How tall (Bliss) for you? Fragrance? I know several posters have commented it’s less than hoped for. Habit suitable for relatively ”narrow” site? Maybe you can tell I’m thinking of going for it. Your recent list of ”best tenants” is my roadmap.

Just about an hour ago I received a nice follow up email from NPN, from a named individual who apparently reviewed my email inquiry ( and initial NPN response) about Apricot Candy. He wrote ” We would have them but due to the drought last summer there were massive crop failures on roses.“ My review of NPN’s website ( I provided the link earlier, here) suggests their customers are retail sellers, not the general public (people like me). And it’s their busy season, I imagine. I am thus very impressed by their customer service. I sent my inquiry less than 12 hours ago.

Original Author
    last month

Looking closer at the photos of the 2 fer's, I believe that they are field grown own root roses. Possibly they were greenhouse grown their first year from cuttings started that first year early on. Perhaps kept growing over winter 2022/23 or put into cold storage for that period. T

Then, next year they were planted afield, and grew more robustly their second year. Harvesting and placing into cold storage last fall and put out for sale now in late winter/early spring 2024 is what Home Depot has for sale. Anyone think I'm right?

I suspect that they will be smaller than traditional grade A #1 grafted roses, but just about the same age.

Moses

Original Author
    last month

Lily,

I hope your Rise Up Lilac Days becomes a much beloved rose for you. Have a special spot for it?

Moses

• dianela7analabama
    last month

Wow this is certain a good surprise. I already purchased a bliss this season to try from ARE but this is just too tempting. I do not have a good place for them but here I am drooling over that two pack :)

edit: 5 minutes later, what is a few more pots. Thank you for sharing this info Moses. I hope they are labeled correctly.

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    last month

Rifis,

Looks like my oldest one, year 4 this 2024 season soon to be upon us, should maintain a 30-36" height. It's not bolt upright, bushy and well behaved. I put 2 younger Blisses in the same hole whose approximate former resident was a Julia Child the spotty girl. Wanted to make an impact.

Moses

• marascz9b
    last month

...I couldn't resist. Thanks for the info. Thank you for the update on Bliss as well.

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked marascz9b
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last month

Moses , here is my rise up lilac days . it areived very well packaged ! im very happy with it and it was on sale for $30 .

i have a space earmarked for it once i fill the bed .

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    last month

Lily,

Looks like there are some nice canes there. Hope it exceeds your expectations!

Moses

• Helen B. Denver Area 6a
    last month

I bought a Snow Pavement from Home Depot maybe 8 weeks ago, and it’s a beaut, nice big rootball and well branched. I bought it in a fit of pique after my roses (all potted) were exposed to -10 to -5 temps for 4 hours in our garage. I lost some, sigh. But that’s another story …

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked Helen B. Denver Area 6a
  • Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    last month

I was wondering about their roses because the specifications tab does not provide useful information regarding size or grade.

I am tempted to try the climber golden opportunity.

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Excellent point, Markay.

I believe the HD site would allow you to post questions which NPN then answers (I’m assuming they are the grower of GO.)

You could also email them at help@nationalplantnetwork.com. When I did this last Friday (early morning) with my question about Apricot Candy availability thru HD, they responded 2 hours later. And then their General Manager sent his own more detailed personal response that same evening.

I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on Bliss.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Never mind - I now see it’s Spring Hill Nursery, not NPN. Consider posting the query at the HD listing, or contacting Spring Hill directly, and report back the response you receive.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

I also am interested seeing Distant Drum bare root. I already ordered from Garden Rose Llc otherwise I would bought one fro HD

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • dianela7analabama
    last month

I just received my Bliss Parfumas. They look to be own root bare roots. They are small but appear healthy. I am super excited about them, specially since they appear to be own root. I am sure with proper pruning and care they will shape up nicely.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

dianela : can you please confirm that you are holding just one rose in that photo?

Original Author
    last month

Dianela,

The roots look great, but the tops are one year younger than the roses in the photo provided at Home Depot web site 🤔. I am sure you can work your wonders with them as you have on your other inspiring roses which we on the Roses Forum drool over! However, Home Depot is practicing the fine art of misrepresentation. Shame, shame, shame, on them!

Moses

• dianela7analabama
    last month

lol yes Rifis only one. I purchased 4 but this one is a good representative for the group.

Did you give any of the Home Depot offerings a try ?

• dianela7analabama
    last month

Moses I am not surprised at the difference. I think their picture is just a generic representation of a bare root and not meant to indicate the actual quality of their stock. These bareroots are as big as any one gallon I have purchased from Heirloom or any other retailers tho. If they are labeled correctly I am going to be very pleased.

Original Author
    last month

You're too generous with your leniency. The photos at HD are clearly an additional year of field growth which makes for a better take either in a pot or in the ground. I also hope the roses you received are accurately labeled.

Moses

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last month

Thank you, Moses and Helen, for bringing this up. I didn't realize you could get these roses from Home Depot. I ordered myself a 'Snow Pavement' today!

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    Original Author
    last month

Nancy, you will love it. The bloom is unlike most hybrid rugosas, being cup shaped and not disheveled like so many in this group are.

If you want to try the two other HRs that I found to be the best of the 20+ HRs I trialed in my garden years ago, they are: Roseraie de L'Hay, a 5', well flower formed beauty (HRs are characteristically sloppy bloomers, IMHO), and Henry Hudson, a short, 30", very well neatly rounded bush with 2.5" neatly formed double white blooms.

There may be other well flowered HRs of recent breeding results out there, but these three: Snow Pavement aka. Schneekoppe, Roseraie de L'Hay, and Henry Hudson stood head and shoulders above the rest of the many I tried about 20+ yrs. ago when I was into OGRs.

Moses

Original Author
    last month

Dianela,

Bliss was grabbed up quickly. It is now on back order....which probably means out of stock until 2025 at best.

Moses

Original Author
    last month

Ditto for Earth Angel, also BO. A flash sale, I guess.

Moses

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

Update: I guess they restocked? I was just able to order:

-plum perfect
    -bliss
    -Michelangelo
    -earth angel

The earth angel is the only one they listed as backordered. They confirmed it’s coming, but with an arrival date of April 10th instead of March.

Original Author
    last month

Good news Jena...just ordered some Bliss myself.

Moses

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Me too, just now.

Moses the Influencer.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

Bliss is a great rose. you all will be pleased

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last month

Moses, thank you for the suggestions. I currently have five rugosa roses and I know what you mean about the blooms. Sometimes they are beautiful, other times not...As it happens, I've been curious about Roseraie de L'Hay for a long time. I've been thinking about getting rid of a large peony and substituting a good sized rose there. Being where I am, I love the hardiness of the rugosas. However, I have a small yard and fear their suckering.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last month

Moses, thank you for the suggestions. I currently have five rugosa roses and I know what you mean about the blooms. Sometimes they are beautiful, other times not...As it happens, I've been curious about Roseraie de L'Hay for a long time. I've been thinking about getting rid of a large peony and substituting a good sized rose there. Being where I am, I love the hardiness of the rugosas. However, I have a small yard and fear their suckering.

Original Author
    last month

Hybrid Rugosa suckering is not rampant at all. It is a slow process and easily controlled. Just shove a spade or round shovel straight down on the parent plant side of the sucker and it pops right out. No fuss or muss. If you let the sucker stay in place after you sever it from its parent and wait a while, you can dig up a new plant....just make sure it has grown a good set of its own roots before the removal to pot or new garden spot.

Moses

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

I agree, Moses, suckering is not a problem.

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

Some of my roses arrived today!
    Plum Perfect:

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

Bliss:

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

Michelangelo:

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

I know it’s tricky to judge the size, so for reference, none of them were less than 10” top to bottom. Michelangelo is 14-16”. All the roots and canes seem robust with the exception of one Bliss which has a single cane with a damaged spot on it.

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

I was honestly so pleased that I immediately bought a few others 😂

Speaking of which, FYI, they’ve updated their inventory with a few more barefoot pairs.

Original Author
    last month

Got my Bliss the other day. They were comparable in size to the ones posted. Oh Happy Day is due in next week. It throws lots of split blooms, but is still a nice looking, black spot resistant rose. It's an ADR winner, so that means a lot. First Crush also threw lots of split blooms....I think it has fallen out of popularity, possibly for this very reason. Will keep the bare roots as cold as possible to hold back candle making since I will not plant out in ground until early May or thereabout.

Moses

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

What zone are you in, Moses? (Your username is too long to see all of it in the app! 😂)

• Jena Ithaca, NY 6a/6b
    last month

I know what you mean about Oh Happy Day—it wouldn’t be my first choice of rose, but it’s beautiful, and at $13 for a healthy bareroot? Including shipping?! The house/land I bought last year has no gardens, so it’s wonderful to be able to build them up with some inexpensive options from HD as well as some beloved choices from High Country, DA, and rogue’s valley.

Original Author
    last month

Jena,

I'm in Pittsburgh, right in an old city neighborhood of postage stamp back yards ( mine is 16'x18' total of growing space!), technically zone 6b, but if any plant of any kind is not spot on hardy to zone 5a it limps along or just dies outright within no time at all. Butterfly Bush, Buddleia davidii varieties, are a perfect example. The short varieties are annuals here and the big boys are case by case, mostly goners.

BTW, the Michelangelo are really nice looking. They look like they are grafted?

Moses

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    22 days ago

I found pretty in pink eden as a two pack on their website and couldnt resist, they arrive from fedex today :)