Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_265203895

Shower glass advice please

C B
last month

We have hard water and had our walk-in shower retiled because the pan was leaking after 25 years. Now we have to decide on the glass and it seems there are old posts that rave about a glass with a manufactured-in substance called shower guard. There are also posts saying it’s a waste of money. Our installer says plain tempered 3/8 glass is the way to go. The door is going to be a swing 26” wide. Realistically my husband will not squeegee after showering. I’d really appreciate hearing what folks think now about different glass options.

Comments (25)

• Gerry
    last month

I have Showerguard on my doors. I don’t squeegee them but I wipe them down with a towel after use. I have hard water, too. Husband usually made it a point to shower before me so he wouldn’t have to wipe it down. And, yes, you do need tempered glass. Also, pay more for low-iron glass so you don’t have a green tint that you get with regular glass.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Why the 6 inch sliver of glass? I like heavy glass, with shower guard. All shower glass is tempered.

There are grocery store products on the market that can further prevent soap scum build up and spots : ) but the best prevention of all is any shower gel, vs cheap grocery bar soap.

More important is below. Especially in 3/8 glass, assuming bench and solid wall locales?

• la_la Girl
    last month

we installed a whole house water softener and that helped a lot (we skipped the showerguard)

• C B
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the replies. I know some people get shower guard so I guess my question is am I gonna have a problem with 3/8 inch glass and hard water. It seems like Jan you are saying it is the soap we use that causes the problem not the water. Is that correct? I ask because my husband for the last 50 years has used dial bar soap. I know it sounds silly but he hates to change anything. Remodeling this bathroom because of the leaks… Well he got through it somehow… but I don’t know if he can manage changing the soap he uses.

• S M
    last month

We have well water and installed a light commercial grade whole house filtration system in new build. Definitely notice the difference in the water! We also opted for Showerguard coating. The advice given to us by the shower glass company was to squeegee after EVERY shower and clean with glass cleaner once a week. I admit that I don’t use the glass cleaner every week, probably every few weeks. I do think getting in habit of using the squeegee every time makes the difference. Our glass looks perfect after a year and a half. We have friends who purchased a home around same time as our build who remodeled their bath. When they saw our shower they asked how we keep the glass looking so good. Told them we just squeegee after every shower. They said they don’t bother wiping glass down or using the squeegee and that newly installed glass already looks bad.

• millworkman
    last month

Only you can decide but my opinion is definitely Showerguard. As far as Low Iron (ultra clear) glass, that depends on your tile and bathroom. Personally the slight green hue never bothers me but too each their own.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Can you scroll way back up and see my "sliver of glass " question"

I'd prefer not to have a glass to glass hinge and the six inch piece. A lot more important that worrying on spots and soap scum.

Also with 3/8 and a glass to glass hinge on that sliver? You aren't showing a frame at the top.. Which you NEED if you go the route of your own drawing.

• millworkman
    last month

I do not mind the glass sidelite and the glass to glass hinge as the piece is not that large and I prefer that over the door right to the wall. Just my preference Jan.

• chispa
    last month

If you have the space, I would want a door wider than 26". They just need to order the "heavy" duty hinges and the cost increase is minimal. I've never ordered the shower guard, but always order the low iron glass.

• C B
    Original Author
    last month

Wow! I really appreciate all these opinions. The lack of consensus… on anything… will make it hard for me to convince my husband to change to shower guard or to low iron or to a different size door… But in a way it reinforces that it’s an area where there’s no absolute wrong or right, and that and itself is very helpful. Thanks guys!

• C B
    Original Author
    last month

“ and itself” was supposed to be “in itself”. For the life of me I have not figured out how to edit my own posts on this app. Is there a way?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

To my mind? There is no advantage to glass hinged to glass unless necessary. The wall is solid as a rock,, and the fewer narrow/ tiny escapes for water? The better!

My glass shop wouldn't execute that door in 3/8 with no top framing, as drawn by the op. It's more hardware than necessary, as well.

• chispa
    last month

The door size ... imagine having a knee or hip replaced and needing to get into the shower with a walker or crutches? We aren't big people and still appreciate the wider shower doors.

Low iron glass ... I spend way too much time picking the perfect tiles for the showers, so I don't want them to have a green tint or have their real color altered in any way. If that isn't something that bothers you, then skip it.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last month

Ask your glass contractor to order glass that been treated. It will be much easier for you to keep it clean.

• millworkman
    last month

" Ask your glass contractor to order glass that been treated. It will be much easier for you to keep it clean. "

No, get the Showerguard, it is made into the glass when the glass is made, not an aftermarket applied product.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Lord! :)

The best after market?

Pretend it’s a windshield!

Rain X!!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

I redid my master bathroom in 2009 and used Showerguard and low-iron on the glass. It still looks good, and no one squeegees it anymore. Also the door is attached to the wall, not to another piece of glass.

• flannery2021
    last month

The shower door company recommended Enduro Shield, a cheaper alternative and have a similar effect as shower guard. We followed her recommendation.

• coray
    last month

Wish I had known about Showerguard☹️….we do not have it, but we did get low iron glass so it’s less green. We do squeegee after each shower, and I feel for you if hubby can’t do that…..it takes a couple of minutes! I also made hubby switch from bar soap to body wash (there are many out there that feel and smell fresh and won’t leave him feeling “oily”….that’s what they usually say), I just put my foot down; it’s not just for the benefit of cleaner glass, but also won’t leave the shower floor tile (we have marble) “scummy”….much cleaner and easier to keep clean….no residue!! Please tell hubby that it’ll make your life easier and keep the shower looking new for a long, long time!

• C B
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all for your advice, I got a chuckle out of the marriage advice… makes me wonder how many years they’ve been married :-)

• ffpalms
    last month

C B, I’ve discovered that you can edit posts from the Houzz website, rather than the app.

• C B
    Original Author
    last month

Oh Thank you! I’ll try that!

• wdccruise
    last month

Dulles Glass (https://www.dullesglass.com/shower-doors; MD/DC/VA) sells its Prima shower door with a left-hand knee wall and right-hand door. Only two pieces of glass are used and the door is attached to the wall. Dimensions are custom.

• Helen
    last month

Another Showerguard enthusiast. So glad I found out about it from this site when I was remodeling.

I don't squeegee or wipe down. At most I aim the handheld on the glass if there are bits of shampoo that had splashed there.

It was installed in 2018 - looks pristine and I live in a hard water area with no water softener or anything else. My prior shower looked like trash - although to be honest it wouldl have looked like trash even with no hard water deposits :-)

• Kate Cowers
    last month

Showerguard put on shower glass in 2015. We have slightly hard well water. We are faithful about squeegeeing after each shower. Still get some residual "stuff" on the glass but I try to be good about cleaning - I like the Windex with Vinegar product (no ammonia products on treated glass!).

My shower is similar to the OPs drawing - door swings right to left but there is a 6" sliver of glass along the right side. Just the way it was made and I never thought it should be any different.