Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kara_dial

Brand new Trane unit water underneath

Kara M
last month

I had our HVAC replaced last July 2023. i am noticing water droplets on the closet floor underneath the coils. Is this due to me not pouring bleach in the drain pipe yet for season? It was cleaned out totally several times last summer. i am ready for this issue to be put to rest, as it caused a total floor replacement last summer. The coils look perfect, slightly wet. pic of amount of water on the floor.

Comments (10)

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

Call the installing contractor to come out and fix whatever the problem is.

• klem1
    last month

Since it has been cleaned out several times and you say coils look perfect there must be something wrong with the house. Do lights flicker,toilets flush poorly or windows rattle?

• mike_home
    last month

Is this due to me not pouring bleach in the drain pipe yet for season?

I would not expect a drain line less than a year old to be clogged and causing a leak. If you are going to use bleach it has to be diluted.

I am ready for this issue to be put to rest, as it caused a total floor replacement last summer.

Have youi spoken to the installer? Water leaks and moisture due to condensation should be covered under your warranty during the first year.

Kara M thanked mike_home
  • Kara M
    Original Author
    last month

They did not replace any lines or drain pipes. i asked them many, many times if they were really ok. I also asked our floor contractor their opinion about the lines and had another man check the lines under the house once this was installed. Our old unit’s coils kept freezing over and we had major water damage.im sure you can see the watermark. The closet is in the middle of the house, so whole laminate floor was replaced with vinyl. i would not expect any water whatsoever under my brand new unit.

The old damage.

• mike_home
    last month

There should be no moisture on the floor. The installer needs to address this. A good installation will have an second emergency pan underneath the primary pan. The primary pan and even the emergency pan should have a water level float switch. This switch will shut down the AC or furnace if the water is not draining properly and before the water overflows. These items need to be installed whenever there is a possibility of water damage.

Kara M thanked mike_home
  • Kara M
    Original Author
    last month

• Kara M
    Original Author
    last month

• Kara M
    Original Author
    last month

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last month

The additional photos show a return air plenum constructed using 2" x 4" studs and oriented strand board (OSB.) While it provides great support for the air handler, OSB is not a good material choice for humid environments because it supports mold growth. I recommend covering the OSB and wood surfaces and air sealing the plenum.

Kara M thanked Charles Ross Homes