Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_309882238

Help creating cohesion!! Any advice appreciated!!

Lucas R
last month

Hello Houzz!

I hope everyone is having a nice start to their weekend! I wanted to see if anyone would be able to help point me in the right direction or give me advice. Design doesn't really come naturally to me, so I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what I could do to make my place feel cohesive.

Long story short, I recently moved into a new condo. I am trying to create a modern, earthy, cohesive vibe in the place. I've purchased some new furniture and am trying to repurpose what I already have as much as possible to save costs.

A few things I've already done:

- I'm replacing the teal kitchen backsplash with white tile

- I am refinishing the concrete countertops, which are a bit worn

- I am considering installing pendant lighting in the kitchen and a large, modern light over the dining table?

- It's a south facing condo, so it gets a lot of natural light, I am trying to create a light place as much as possible.

- I have purchased a credenza/ server to go on the wall across from the kitchen island.

- I am planning on getting some vibrant art for the walls to get some color in the room.

I am open to painting/ remodeling within reason.

Here's a few specific things I would love some thoughts on:

1) Do you think that my kitchen and furniture clash? Are they two different styles, or can they blend well? Is it just a matter of cleaning up those glass shelves or is there something here that inherently will not blend? I am trying to find a way to make it work but can't shake the feeling there is something I am missing here in the kitchen. I do think adjusting the backsplash will help.

2) Do you think the grey couch is taking away from the space? I am considering a white softa (traditional instead of a sectional), with two chairs opposite and a new coffee table. What about pillows or accents?

3) Is there something better I can be doing with the large bookshelf?

As well as anything else that comes to mind, or just your general thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all and excited to hear what you think!

Comments (38)

• deegw
    last month

You've made lots of lovely choices and your adorable dog seems to approve! What is your budget? You are proposing a lot of things that will add up quickly.

What color are the walls? I'm seeing different undertones in different spots. I think they might be too cool, which is why the space doesn't feel right.

Pendants and a dining room light fixture are good ideas. Your kitchen looks very dark in the photos. Some side tables with lamps will help as well. They'll add some light to the people level and some shape and texture.

The coffee table does look too delicate for the space, a more substantial one will look nice.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! Budget is somewhat flexible, within reason of course 😁

The walls are white, but a dull white. Interesting that you think they are too cool. I am open to painting and have previously thought of a light beige.

Yes the kitchen is dark. I considered redoing the cabinets to a lighter color, but the existing cabinets are expensive it didn’t feel right ripping them out. Im trying to see if I can work with it to brighten it up somehow. Where would you add side tables and lamps?

Thank you for your thoughts!!

• deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month

Do you know the actual wall color? That would let us know if it has the cool or gray undertones that appear in the picture. Whites are hard, they change depending on the light, the time of day and look different on people's monitors. A warmer white will probably help. It will be a big and expensive job to paint your space so it's best to proceed with caution!

I would put substantial side tables next to the sectional. On the far end away from the outlet you can run the lamp cords under the sofa and along the edge of the rug. You can try the floor lamp next to the chair., it might be a little small for it.

You can also put a lamp on the brown cabinet on the small wall.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks. I looked and found the original wall paint, but all I could see on the label is white, N549 and eggshell finish…

• Emily
    last month

I don’t mind the wall color but think your space could use some additional color and textures by way of sofa pillows and accessories on the bookcase. I like the bookcase but not crazy about it being off centered from the dining table. I’d suggest finding a new home for the mirror and cabinet below it, and the moving the bookcase so it is centered with the dining table. You have nice things on the bookcase but they seem to be place uniformly on the shelves. Try moving some items closer together and adding in a couple of pops of color.

• chispa
    last month

I'm not a fan of glass cabinets as I don't have pretty kitchen stuff to display, so I would replace the glass with matte/opaque glass to minimize the visual clutter caused by the items inside. Or cover from the inside with a matte/opaque plastic film.

If you want to give your Frame TV a chunkier look, decotvframes.com has a wide selection of aftermarket frames. I just bought/installed this one on my 75" Frame TV. Five minutes to assemble and it clips on over the TV in seconds

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all!

Emily appreciate the bookcase idea. It is built in, I will need to see if I can move it to the right. The dining table is also extendable so maybe I can try shortening it and lining it up with the bookcase differently to see what it looks like.

Chispa, yeah, I actually have someone who will be taking the glass doors off and powder coating it so that it is not see through. I thought the same, no need to show the clutter. I don’t think that frame example will go with the space but I’ll check out the site and see what they have, I think more substantial decor in the living room seems to be a theme to look at.

• Yvonne Martin
    last month

Have you thought about books in the book shelf? Maybe 1/3 books would brighten up the space.

• Tachch
    last month

You have a very nice space, but yes, there are a lot of things that need to be worked on.
    What you can do right away: leave only one large flower to the left of the TV and move it to the right towards the cabinet as far as possible; remove the cabinet from the passage (on a narrow section of the wall). The main thing that caught my eye is that your kitchen area is massive (both physically and visually), and in the living room area there are many too “light” elements. Therefore, there is no balance and I think this confuses you. It is worth bringing 2-3 more massive/solid objects into the living room area, for example another table, and I would think about another sofa.

We have already written to you about the coffee table and closing the glass on the kitchen facades. I would suggest closing the shelves between the glass blocks if possible. If this does not work, then make the back wall white. I'll try to try out some ideas in Photoshop. I would love to work on your space. I would also replace the chairs in the living room with white/light ones.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

I think you've done a very nice job. Get some textured pillows for the sofa and maybe a chunky throw. Then add some large, colorful artwork to bring a little more life to the space. I probably would have done colorful area rugs, too.

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Tachch
    last month

I’ll also add: if the budget is very limited, you can, of course, leave the table and chairs (but I would definitely replace the sofa) - there are different ways to balance the space. And by “I would like to work on your space” I meant, first of all, maximum feedback from you (perhaps better in private messages) and willingness to take the necessary photos (as many as needed), send the required dimensions and generally actively participate in the process). Then, for my part, I will be able to show you various options (in Photoshop based on your photos) and accompany you in the process of changing the interior until completion. Think about it.

• housegal200
    last month

I think you're space looks (mainly) great. What I do notice are the many, many rectangles--island, dining table, sofa, TV, doorway cutouts, console under TV. So a round table or oval would soften all those lines. I do love your chair choices bigtime. Sofa is fine, though a live edge console sofa table matching dining table wood would make that more dynamic with existing table.

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

If you keep that table, consider changing out rug that echoes gold wood and the floor--light and dark pattern with some color you can add with throw pillows.

Caftan Stripe Multi Rug, 8'x11' · More Info

Or if you're staying in neutrals, just a pattern that picks up gray, gold, dark brown

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

All-

Just catching up now after a busy night and morning. First of all thank you for the suggestions, there are excellent and can see where you all are going with this!

Tachch I really appreciate the notes and I think you have been able to articulate well what I’m feeling in the space. I see where you’re saying that the contrast is too heavy- a visually heavy kitchen and “airy, light” furniture is making it feel incoherent. I’d be curious your thoughts on what specifically to bring in that is more massive and substantial. I have some ideas as well. I’d love to take you up on your offer of working closely together on this and sending pictures as it progresses. I will send you a DM! Also I tried moving the small bookshelf to the wall as you suggested. I will add a picture below. Let me know what you think.

Sabrina, thank you. My thought has been to keep furniture and rugs somewhat neutral and bring in some really colorful, bold art on the walls. The place needs some serious color and I’m thinking that should help. Then I can get accent pillows as you suggest and match to the art. Thoughts on that?

Housegal- I think a round table is a great idea. I also have a server/ credenza coming for across the kitchen island which will be another square shape. Maybe we combine with Tachs comment and get a new table that is more substantial AND oval or a different shape. I like how that sounds. Maybe match with the coffee table. I would like to keep the chairs.

Below is the credenza I ordered for across from the island, do you all think this works well? I tried to keep the dark colors from the cabinet and match the hardware.

Thank you all!!

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

I cannot figure out how to DM! Haha. I go to the profile but don't see a section to create a new message.

• Tachch
    last month

Lucas, I'm glad you agreed to accept my offer.
    As for the small bedside table, the point was to remove it from the place where it stood before, and in the new place it looks quite good, but whether it will stay there, I think we will see later.
    And before offering specific ideas, solutions, decor and furniture, I am going to work out the general structure of the room (its architectural part) and based on this create the necessary balance. That is, first we work with the skeleton and muscles, and then we select clothes for this))

I will be waiting for your message in Direct to learn more about your preferences and draw specific options in Photoshop that are close to your requests, and not just sort through an endless variety of variations at random. We will also agree on the method and time of communication there.

And of course, for now I suggest refraining from any actions or purchases.

Also, please send me an apartment plan (I need a kitchen plan with dimensions).

• Boxerpal
    last month

I like your space. can you pick 2 or 3 colors that you love and find various patterns, textures and even some of the color in a painting or wall hanging you are thinking of. I am no sure bright or bold is the way to go. Focus on patterns or color of what you like. What makes you smile.

Maybe add a throw, pillows, a newer runner and rug ....this can create texture.

Maybe use a peel and stick wall paper to put inside the built ins to create some movement, depth and warmth.

Teal and Gray Landondale Peel and Stick Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Moroccan Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper, Mint, 24"x108" · More Info

Metallic Sequins 18"x18" Art Silk Teal Blue Accent Pillows, Teal N Silver Rings · More Info

Large Abstract Painting on Canvas Modern Acrylic Skyline, 36x36, Blues, Gray · More Info

Betsy Drake Blue Marlin on Teal Kitchen Towel · More Info

Moore Street Kitchen & Addition · More Info

• elcieg
    last month

The wall color is from B.M Regal and referred to as a Ready Mix White. I think that is B.M. Super White. So, it loves

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

I like the pattern idea boxer, I was thinking something similar on the wall and like that painting. I’m not super concerned around colors as I think the art will definitely help bring some color to the space.

Thank you elcieg for finding that! I like that slate grey! Maybe that is an accent wall color candidate?

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

I did receive the message by the way and thank you!

• latifolia
    last month

I don't see anyone else mention the shape of the island. Why does the end stick out like that? I'd probably bump into it, in addition to it looking odd. Could you get that side straightened? it would help to reduce the bulk.

On the glass cabinets, any chance of having regular shelves and matching doors made? You can deal with the dark with lighting. Right now it accentuates something for no apparent reason.

• NIKKI DALE
    last month

I don't have suggestions but just wanted to comment that I LOVE your space! the layout is great and I love the modern clean lines

Lucas R thanked NIKKI DALE
  • Paul F.
    last month

There are lots of little things adding up to a lot of visual chaos with all the different ceiling heights. I'd try turning the weird opening above the kitchen into storage with doors and lightening up the island (or adding a color) so it comes closer to relating to the living space. Even painting your TV frame to black would help that wall.

• drdeb1234
    last month

Nice space!! No specific advice here, just planning to follow…

• drdeb1234
    last month

Paul, whenever you do your crazy amazing photoshops, I find myself playing the game of “spot the 10 differences” (and I do wish you’d post the original pic next to it!). Speaking of “Spot”, you photoshopped out the pooch lol!!

• Cara Fidler
    last month

That's a beautiful condo. I suggest painting the kitchen cabinets and island in a light color as it looks so dark as it is. I also suggest looking at some of the beautiful Impressionist paintings like Water Lilies by Monet and his other works as they are full of light and color. You can purchase prints or even canvases online from Etsy, Wayfair, etc that are gorgeous. Some colors to consider: Sage green, dusty rose, pale turquoise for the cabinets and island. Good luck and enjoy this fantastic space.

• drdeb1234
    last month

And I agree that the mismatch between the dark heavy kitchen and lighter airier rest is problematic, but I would also prefer you lighten up the kitchen if possible, rather than add heaviness to the rest.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all for your responses! A few thoughts..

Paul, it is funny how the lighter color on the island and filling in the empty space changes things so significantly..i have looked into this in a way. here's what i took away. 1) The cabinets are extremely expensive (arclinea), and if i wanted to redo them, i'd need to do the whole thing likely. I got some quotes which were very high. I don't see how else i could "skin" the island color. I did speak to a company to redisgn the kitchen cabinets and bring in a lighter color, but it was essentially paying a lot to rip out the beautiful, solid wood existing cabinets to put in a lighter melanine color. It just didn't feel right. I did get a quote to install a soffit in the open space above. Kind of similar to your thought I think, that is something I'm still considering. Do you know any relatively reasonable cost-ish was to install storage like you suggested up there?

Cara- for the same points mentioned above I have generally avoided painting the cabinets, it just didn't feel right to paint over the quality ones that are there and so I'm trying to find a way to work with them! I appreciate the suggestions though and the kind words about the space.

I am in alignment that getting rid of the clear doors in the kitchen would help. I am also getting a quote to refinish the concrete countertops to help get them looking a little fresher.

I just wish there were ways to brighten up the kitchen that don't have to do with painting over/ etc. the cabinets....

Paul, do you think there's a way to do the color you suggested without painting, or any other ideas on how we could brighten that up?

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Also- do we think this credenza is blending with the space, helping with cohesion? or is it contributing to the darkness in the kitchen? The plan is to put this in the space across from the kitchen island and use as a mini bar, with art above it. I looked for months to try and find one.. a lighter wood there just did not look right to me but open to ideas:

• drdeb1234
    last month

Lucas, apparently wrapping cabinetry (or just the island in your case) with vinyl is a thing. I'd never heard of it till a few weeks ago, but perhaps it's worth looking into.

Also , I don't know if you're paying much to frost those cabinet glass doors, but Wallpaper For Windows is a very inexpensive and easy to use window film. Applied with water (no adhesive) and has stayed in place in my house (bathroom window) for over 20 years.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

I will need to look into these both then. Never heard of either. Thank you drdeb!!

• Paul F.
    last month

Maybe use wood slats if you don't want to paint the island. Use sliding panels up top to close the big opening instead? I put the dog back!

• drdeb1234
    last month

Lolol

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

I really like that suggestion paul, and appreciate your bringing my dog back from the ether🤣

Thoughts why wood are only on the corner? More of an accent? And oak or walnut ?

• Kendrah
    last month

Wood and cognac color is your through line and cohesion for this space. Get some cognac velvet, suede, or leather pillows for your grey sofa. For the new piece across from the island, go with a nice walnut or medium tone wood piece. (The little cabinet around the side of the kitchen in the living room area is fantastic. Match that.)

Consider wood handles on the black buffet under the white bookcase.

I'd style the bookcase differently. All of the white pieces disappear.

I loathe dust catchers on top of kitchen cabinets. And yet, your empty rectangle in the kitchen feels like it is crying out for something, maybe a plant or two to tie in with the living room plants.

• Paul F.
    last month

There is a thickness to the slats so you don't have enough counter overhang to use it anywhere but where I put it from what I can tell. I was trying to get a similar wood color to your furniture so it will relate a little better.

• Lucas R
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Kendra.. ok here are the two finishes I was looking at for the piece across from the island. I liked the darker better. What do you guys think? Sorry ignore the mess in the corner.

• Otter Play
    last month

For what it’s worth …. § White tile might not be the best choice for your backsplash. Perhaps too high contrast with the black. Instead, you might consider a light-ish wood tone tile. Perhaps trying searching “reeded tile”. There are some Japandi tiles that might work for you. (Sorry, I lack the talent to link for you.) Odd suggestion: You could try this out with inexpensive rolls of white contact paper, and another of a wood tone/pattern. (This is just to assess if white is the way you want to go.) § As you know, your kitchen has lighting issues. If there aren’t lights in the underside of the niche over the cooktop, perhaps some could be added if you decide to make that area into storage. If the glass front cabinets don’t have lights inside, that is another potential place to add them. Maybe a visit to a lighting design store is in order. Good luck with your project.