Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevys

floor tile color to go with shower tile

Bev
last month

Our old bathroom is under construction. Room floor is 6’6”x4’6”.
Trying to decide on a floor that would compliment the shower tile. There’s a lot of movement in the shower wall and though I like the hexagon flooring , not sure they go well. I’m thinking a larger floor tile like 12x24 in a solid black or gray or white.

Comments (32)

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

The shower floor will be a black pan

• jo mu
    last month

You can't change the floor pan?? That black looks off white would be better even if the undertones are off

If you must keep the black then I'd do a black floor tile

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

I just bought the floor pan. It’s a true black.
    It has a plastic cover on it while workers get grout on it. Looks pretty nasty at moment.
    I did a pic in a black floor and one in white

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

• jo mu
    last month

I would have preferred the a light tile but with the black pan it just looks off

If you do the black hexagon use small grout lines and black grout the same shape tile in black I think can also work

Alternatively I kind of like how this combination looks I couldn't move the direction of the tiles but you get the idea

• jo mu
    last month

You're doing glass door there I assume?

What color are your fixtures?

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

Glass door. Black fixtures. The picture your marked up. Is that a wood tile?

• jo mu
    last month

Okay black fixtures and hardware with all black floor would look nice

Yes the wood is floor tile

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

Picked up 3 different black tiles today.

• NIKKI DALE
    last month

normally I would say match was to floor but your right I think it may have been too busy. I do like the black hexagon. that could be stunning

• NIKKI DALE
    last month

walls(

• jo mu
    last month

All those could work

I like the hexagon if you can keep the grout lines small and dark like it looks in the picture

Is there a light and darker black hex?

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, there’s one real dark hex. It’s by the rectangles. I liked it best

• mmc429
    last month

Usually smaller is better in a shower floor

• violetsnapdragon
    last month

I would like a black or grey hex.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

you need a small tile to allow for the slope of the drain... like a 2" tile

• susan49417
    last month

Remember that the black floor tile will show all water marks, lint, etc. It would drive me crazy but everyone is different.

• Bev
    Original Author
    last month

Lyn, the pan is a black pan to be used as is. It just looks nasty due to plastic covering and thin set drops during construction.

Susan, This bathroom will be a 2nd and less used bathroom. So I’m hoping that less used + less mess. We will be tiling our master bath next in a different style of tile. :)

• L.D. Johnson
    last month

I note the grab bar next to the toilet. If the primary user if the bathroom has mobility/stability issues, please choose the least slippery option.

• Bev
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Update:
    Getting closer to the finish line. Which white would go well on the wall?
    I was thinking reflective white or ultra white.
    Open to other whites

• jo mu
    29 days ago

Nice job! Get a couple of white samples and just put it up next to the white tile it will be hard for us to advise. The undertone of white paints is only visible next to other whites so just use your instincts.

The white of your tile does look like a stark white so maybe yeah ultra white could work. Are you painting that wood trim as well?

• Bev
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Yes…it will be white too

• Bev
    Original Author
    29 days ago

So if the undertone of shower tile is a slight gray, any white in that family would work? I’d prefer it to be much lighter than shower tile. A bright white. Will keep the thread posted

• Shawna
    29 days ago

Sherwin Williams Pure White has gray undertones.

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

Wow the space is coming along nicely.

Paint? Super White OC-152 by Benjamin Moore it is a cool white that could work for you. I like it because it is crisp and definitive.

enjoying watching your space come together.

• Bev
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Would the towel bar be better placement on wall where silver grab bar is or inside the shower?

• jo mu
    27 days ago

Can you zoom out and show more of the bathroom like the top all the walls so we can advise on the shower bar I'm going to say probably no shower bar inside shower since it's small and in general I find that towels get wet when they're in the shower lol even larger showers

But that bar is next to the toliet so not sure if that's ideal either

You could do black hooks on that sliver of wall that's framing the shower

• Bev
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Maybe a shower rack that hangs on the door?(we don’t have door up yet) . More importantly, there’s a problem with the niche.
    He did isn’t surround it with trim that I wanted and the bottom niche he has a jolly ledge on it and water will pool in the space. It’s a 1/4” deep. I’m wondering if I should start a new thread on how to repair it. My concern is water standing. I won’t be asking the installer to fix it,

• jo mu
    26 days ago

I'd put a hook on both side and yeah maybe a black shower bar on the outside to put your towels away folded up when they're no drying on the racks. You could add a bar above the toilet but that would be more for a hand towel

• jo mu
    26 days ago

Id start a new thread for that issue I'm not sure but common sense would dictate there should have been a slight slant towards shower or at least level

• Bev
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I totally agree. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it.