Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_hill9294

Shower Door Help

Sue Hill
26 days ago

Our guest bath has a shower door that opens out into the bathroom and water always leaks onto the floor. I am curious if there is a way to make the door swing both ways without buying a whole new door.

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    26 days ago

No. The frame of the door acts as a door stop by appearances. Does the door have a sweep at the bottom? Maybe install a dam strip?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

No, Because it is a badly designed shower in what I would guess was formerly a tub/shower combo. There was not adequate room inside to swing the door inward as it appears they used a 30" door on a 30" x 60" space, and the framing prevents the inward swing in any case.. It HAD to swing out for code and safety. god forbid a fall in the shower.

A "sweep" won't help, it will simply "sweep" THE WATER to the same bath floor......every time someone steps from the shower.

In applications this tight?

You lower the floor in the shower and use a slide door , especially with no curb to contain water.

A replacement to a slide is your only good answer: ) without a total rip.........and that would at least allow for a mat outside the shower!

Sue Hill thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Maybe a dam strip could help there are tons on Amazon.Butut poorly designed and IMO you start messing with something else and the waterproofing might be damaged and that will be a lot worse than the water on the floor . It ooks like you do not even have space for a mat there

• Valinta
    26 days ago

keep a floor squeegee handy

• apple_pie_order
    26 days ago

Hang a shower squeegee inside the shower. Show guests what will happen to the water when they open the door, and explain that squeegeeing the shower door before opening it is necessary. If they can't manage a squeegee, hang a small towel over the door for them to mop off the door.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    26 days ago

It's not just the door swing, it's any and all water remaining on the shower floor : ( when the out swing door is opened..

When folks shower, the want out when finished, and they want a darn towel!

Fix it with a slide, or just be glad it is only guest space.

• Sue Hill
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thank you for the suggestion of the door slide. I didn't even know that was a thing, but seems to make a lot of sense and would fix the issue. Yes, (lol) I am thankful it is a guest space. I use it to wash my dogs! They don't care if water is on the floor anywhere - ha!