Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrenhoffmann

skylights in kitchen and bath

Wren
21 days ago

I currenlty have two 30" wide Velux skylights designed into a small kitchen above the island. They will have window shades. I will also have a 24" wide skylight in master bath. Does anyone regrete skylights like these? Or do you think two in kitchen is too many? aside from leaking (not my concern on this design).

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    21 days ago

Well I think they are great for natural light on a sunny day but you need to make sure they do not impede good lighting at night or early morning. So placement is a big deal .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

I love skylights and often add them to projects but hard to comment without more information.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    20 days ago

We had skylights in both the kitchen and master bath of our previous house. Loved the light and never regretted installing them. And they never leaked.

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

I love our skylight in our kitchen. It brings in light.

We do not have one in our bedroom. I know my husband would hate one in the bedroom. He needs complete darkness. We have heavy drapes that block out the light but every so often the moon is full and a tiny peak of light pops into the room. Drives him crazy. So if you like darkness make sure the shade closes to make it dark enough for you.

Oh... just read from RAPP that one in the bathroom. Yes put one in the bathroom as long as you can close off the bathroom or shade the window. Again light may not bother you.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    20 days ago

The OP is putting one in the bath, not the bedroom.

• acm
    20 days ago

yeah, we get a lot of posts wondering how to hang pendants from/around sky lights.

• la_la Girl
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

We have one in the master bath - love all the natural light in there - we have a big window in there but have treatments on it for privacy so the skylight makes a huge difference

FWIW we were going to cut it in the reno and our architect convinced us not to and we are so glad we listened to him

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    19 days ago

Lafayette · More Info

One of my baths with a large skylight. My only regret is not putting one over my shower...

Wren thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Wren
    Original Author
    18 days ago

@Hallett & Co. - I have the skylight placed over sink since there is a steam shower... even with the steam shower do you think you'd prefer placement over shower? Thanks!

• J Mig
    18 days ago

I love the 24 x 24 skylights that we put in our kitchen however, we had to put clear plexiglass over them, because they rained in the winter. And then we just put molding around the bottom to hold the plexiglass and make it look nice. I can’t imagine why a skylight in a shower would NOT rain? IN OUR RENTAL MASTER BATHROOM, WE PUT IN A SOLATUBE. BOTH OF THE OLDER SETS OF PARENTS WHO HAVE LIVED IN THAT HOUSE HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT HOW BRIGHT IT IS WHEN THERE IS A FULL MOON. Sorry, don’t know why it capitalized. I must’ve hit some thing with a control that I am not aware of. Not shouting at anyone.😁