Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhouseguy

Chimney Flashing

Hi - I've been reading up on flashing for my chimney and it is quite different from what I see in this photo. Here the flashing curves on top of the roof shingles. Shouldn't that flashing be under them?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    22 days ago

There is flashing under the shingles and bent up the wall. You're seeing the counter-flashing which covers it and ties into the brick.

Old House Guy LLC thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • kevin9408
    21 days ago

If you enlarge the picture you can see the step flashing under the shingle. 3 years ago I replace my chimney crown and re tuckpointed the grout 5' down. I did it similar to the picture Joe posted, but did it the clean better way.

I don't like step counter flashing and I don't like caulking it like you see in the picture, it just looks messy. I used a continuous piece of counter flashing and made a 75 degree bend 3/4" wide at the top with another 1/4" bend to make a V on the edge. I then snapped a line on the chimney brick and ground a 1/2" slot all the way down at a 75 degree angle sloping down. I inserted the V the slot and tapped it in. Finally I drilled 1/4" holes trough the counter flashing and into the mortar joints every couple feet and slammed in hammer set anchors. I DID NOT use any caulking.

If you decide to do tuckpointing grind out at least 3/4" of the old grout first. and rake your joints out to the original depth. If you're going to replace your old crown do Not use Masonry cement and use Portland cement with wire in it. Overhang the crown from the brick by 1-1/2" and leave an air gap between the crown and clay liner and caulk the gap with high temperature silicone.

I've done Brick and stucco houses the same way as described above with 6' lengths to get a nice clean look and less likely to leak then with the individual step and caulk shown in the picture.

Old House Guy LLC thanked kevin9408
  • PRO
    Old House Guy LLC
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thankk you both!