Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliekrawchuk

New Exterior Railing and handrail

juliekrawchuk
18 days ago

Help please!

Need your advise on what style of railing and handrail woud best compliment the style of our home.

Ideally requires no maintenance and be reasonablely priced. The interior of our home is contemporary.

The walkway, curbs and stairs will be replaced with Techno-Bloc Raffinato cream beige stone. The porch will be clad with the same material.

The door is black and the window trim is very dark brown black.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (32)

• wdccruise
    18 days ago

How about leaving the fences in place and just cutting off the curly doodads?

• juliekrawchuk
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Thats a fine idea, but the exisiting railings need to come out as they are embedded in the concrete curbs, which are being replaced. Thanks.

• juliekrawchuk
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Many thanks Beverly, so no glass then?

y- so no glass then?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    18 days ago

Go horizontal which works with the predominant lines of the house.

• HU-363388633
    18 days ago

Thanks Shady Willow Farm

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    18 days ago

This is an old building. It sags here and there. If you do glass the sags flaws will become more apparent. The house needs the style of a railing that will command attention. You may think the plain railing boring......but it draws attention.

If you want something more contemporary consider a thick grid railing.

or consider a pipe railing

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Beverly, very many thanks! How did you superimpose your suggestions over the house image - super helpful!!!! Would love to see the others.

• Kate Cowers
    17 days ago

Westbury railings. Multiple styles and colors. We went with the Rivera IV line, black fine texture, powder coated aluminum. 3/4 inch square balusters.

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Looks great, thanks. What was the number of years guarantee?

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Sorry I should have added we are in Toronto, where horizontal railings are not to code.

• Kate Cowers
    17 days ago

I looked quick at the DSI website

All Westbury® railing systems are covered by DSI’s Aluminum Lifetime Limited Warranty which includes a five-year fade warranty and includes areas influenced by bodies of saltwater or contaminant conditions.

Ours (deck railings) have been up for almost 3 years and no issues. All we do is wash them down or spray them once or twice a year to get rid of the pollen (ugh..lol) - just mild soap and hose rinse.

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago

Just saw that horizontal railings are not permitted in Toronto but wonder if something like above would be...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 days ago

I use MS Paint and Remove BG to create any photo adjustments. It's just finding the right photo, cleaning out the background on Remove BG and then pasting it on my photo using MS Paint which is on every Windows computer.

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

I would have to take a class 🤣

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Would love to also hear from anyone who has glass railings as to how much maintenance they require. One company told me they are just like windows.

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Lisedv, you did a lot of work many thanks. Funnily we do have an umbrella on the front porch and the shrubs are beautiful and ancient rose of Sharon. The stump was our beloved peach tree, which will be replaced. We grow flowers in the front garden in spring then plant veggies. The narrow curb to the side is filled with raspberries. Cant wait for spring.

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Is there a proportion for railing to size of house?

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

The height for a railing is usually 36 inches. I'm happy you have nice plantings, being spring it's not the best time to judge on what's there but they seemed overgrown for the area, perhaps you can partly trim them down giving the a nice natural shape.

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

Great idea and thanks again

• HU-910663146
    17 days ago

Do not go horizontal (will make the house look fat) or glass (do you seriously want to clean that all the time?). Salespeople will say anything to make a sale. Two sides of glass, with people and children crapping up both sides whenever they walk through. And that doesn't include the weather. Children pushing on the glass will make you nervous, etc. Lisedv's suggestion looks great.

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago

Here's another railing and this time with your shrubs in bloom...

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

This looks amazing! Thank you so much!

• HU-363388633
    17 days ago

HU-….146 many thanks, that why we reach out because companies will say anything and I am so over that!

• Kendrah
    17 days ago

@Lisedv's most recent rendering looks the best. Simple black vertical railings, not too chunky, and a little horizonal extra bar at the top is nice.

• PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

And, last but not least, the look with a glass railing...

• HU-363388633
    16 days ago

Just came across these- what do you think?

• HU-363388633
    16 days ago

Lisedv thank you soooo much. Was still trying to figure out how to download a programme for Mac 🤣🤣🤣

• PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

I like it but is it legal for the 2nd floor porch?

• HU-363388633
    16 days ago

Probably not 😩, thanks again for all your work, if you ever need any advise re cooking / baking feel free to give me a shout (am retired chef)

• PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

Oh thank you for your cooking offer, I might take you up on it... My grandson is a baker and also just graduated this year from cooking school so now also a young chef!

• HU-363388633
    16 days ago

Great, which school?