Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Super impressed with hortico

Hi rose friends !

I just wanted to report on two bare roots I received from hortico .

I used to order from them a long while back but their website isn’t as modern as it could be and I do remember they used to send itty bitty plants which always grew fine but were small. They do ship later bc of their weather as well .

But I have been on their waitlist for 4 years for a chandos beauty ! I had it in my Tennessee garden and really wish I had kept it and somehow mailed it to my place here . I got on the waitlist right away and without me following up or harassing hortico they emailed me asking if I was still interested! I was so excited !!

I ordered st ethelberg as well . A beautiful rose with fantastic fragrance.

They just arrived . All told it was $95 for two roses but here in California that’s on par unfortunately so I’m not complaining. They look fantastic and are much much bigger than I remember in the past .

I just wanted to share in case anyone was wondering how they have been doing . I planted them right after taking this pic and I know they are going to take off !

chandos on left :)

Comments (10)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    17 days ago

They look terrific, Jen! Hortico’s catalog is once again listing a huge selection of roses, during the pandemic year it had become really skinny. Glad their rose business has turned a corner.

• Diane Brakefield
    17 days ago

Some my best roses came from Hortico years ago, and before they got kind of bad mouthed on the forum. The roses were all bare roots that looked pretty much the size of Lilyfinch's new roses above. These included Augusta Luise in 2013, and I've never regretted ordering from them. Lilyfinch, your roses look great. I agree with Ben that a year ago, Hortico's offerings really decreased. I need to check their website again to see what they have. It was a pretty odd website, I thought, but what do I know? Maybe they've updated it. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    17 days ago

They look great! Thanks for posting this, Lilyfinch... I'll have to re-visit their website. As others said, last time I went there maybe 2-3 years ago, it was bleak. I used to get a lot of their roses via Regan, who did a good job of triage-ing them. They did have a well-deserved rep for sending mislabeled roses, while also sending many good ones.

• Diane Brakefield
    17 days ago

I never got a mislabeled rose from Hortico. But they had Tantau roses back in the day, and I got three Bernstein-Roses (around 2008) from them, plus Kordes' Blue Bayou, and Royal Bonica. Nobody had that one but Hortico. Interesting stuff. Diane

• rosecanadian
    17 days ago

I've had mostly mislabeled roses from them and almost all of the roses they have sent me are 1/2 grade or less. I've given up on them. I CAN'T believe Hortico sent those roses!!! And you got a Chandos Beauty...oh my heavens you are so fortunate!!

• erasmus_gw
    17 days ago

I got my Hortico order in Wednesday. Had ordered from them a few years ago and while the plants were a bit small they took off once they got established. I had gotten Chandos Beauty, St. Ethelburga, Jessica, and Imperatrice Farrah. Jessica didn't make it. They ship kind of late for NC.

This year I ordered nine roses and my friend ordered 2 in the same order. 10 out of 11 were a very good size. Nicole , the office person, was nice to deal with.

I got :

Oklahoma

Meg

Summer Dream

Eustacia Vye

The Lady Gardener

Darcy Bussell

Horatio Nelson

Olivia Rose Austin

James L. Austin

The smallest was Oklahoma. All others were close to Palatine size. Multiflora really does well here and since Palatine quit selling Austins on multiflora I was very glad to find them at Hortico. Shipping to NC was a bit high...$59.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    17 days ago

Thank you, Lilyfinch for your post with pictures. I’ve never ordered from them but I’ve been on their website several times recently because they carry St Ethelburga, a rose that’s been on my list. I see you got that one!! Now I won’t be scared to try them. And Diane, they have Royal Bonica still/again.

• Dave5bWY
    17 days ago

Those look great @Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca! I agree - the ones I received in the past were smaller than say Palatine but they all have done well. These should really take off.

• Diane Brakefield
    17 days ago

Judi, thanks about Royal Bonica, but one is all I've got room for. It's enormous. Diane

Royal Bonica from Hortico 2013

• rosecanadian
    16 days ago

Erasmus - good job on getting some well grown roses!! Maybe I'll try them again next year.

Diane - absolutely incredible!!!! What a winner!