Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendra_smyth

Curb appeal / exterior updates for cape cod

kendra_smyth
15 days ago

Hello! Would love your suggestions on how to increase curb appeal for our Cape Cod house, which is one of several in a row that look exactly the same.

A few of my ideas are as follows: 1) paint the brick and off-white, paint the door and shutters a light blue or light green; 2) update the stoop, stairs, and walkway with pavers or brick. Pricier updates – 3) add a bump out to create a foyer (right now the front door opens directly on the center stairwell); 4) add a portico or a covered porch that spans the whole length of the house (but would this make the interior too dark? The house faces east).

We also need to update our kitchen, so I’m a bit hesitant to spend a significant amount of money on the exterior but I also am excited to switch out the look of our house.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (15)

• HU-914643391
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I'd focus on the kitchen.

But changing up the color trim would be a change from the neighbors.

Urbane Bronze

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago

Just remember that if you decide to paint the brick, you don't use acrylic house paint. You have to use masonry paint or limewash so the brick can breathe and so the paint doesn't peel.

I would select a dark contrasting color as an accent.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

so........You would like more this?

Than this??

Pretty easy to see what is bothering you, yes?

Note, even the architect broke the rule for shutter proportion...: )

• kandrewspa
    15 days ago

I can only get behind painting brick if it's ugly. Yours is not. Why paint a surface that requires no maintenance, thereby turning it into a maintenance-required surface? You never paint just once. The windows are wrong. Perhaps a previous owner did it, but casement windows are not appropriate to the style. Single or double hung with muntins is what's called for. While the shutters aren't necessary on those wide windows, they do add some color. To save money for a kitchen remodel, paint the shutters and front door blue, green or dark gray. There is nothing wrong with the black, but if you want a change, any of those colors would work. Do you normally enter your house from the front door, or is there a back door that's used more frequently? A portico would be appropriate on a Cape Cod, a full front porch would not. You'll have to decide whether you would prefer to spend your money on that or your kitchen. I would have it architect designed if you do one so you enhance the appearance instead of remuddling it. Builders build what you tell them to do, they usually don't have the necessary artistic skill to design something attractive.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

It's a 1950 or 60 remodeled inside, cape. Yes the windows are "wrong" but fairly typical of that time.

She doesn't like the brick : ) and doesn't want the same as those around her.

I would change the windows if at all possible...depends the budget for anything beautiful and how far one can go. Landscaping and a prettier walk ? Certainly. It only takes $$$$$$

• cat_ky
    15 days ago

I wouldnt paint the brick. Its very nice brick. Your house is very nice. I would however change the trim, to urban bronze like the picture above. I would also improve the landscaping, so it isnt all just greenery and bushes like balls.

• Paul F.
    15 days ago

Green to accentuate the brick.

• mcarroll16
    15 days ago

Agree with others--landscaping would be a fairly low-cost way to make a big improvement. I do love the idea of a bump-out for a foyer though. Not to improve appearances, but to improve interior function. My weird Cape-Cod-MCM mashup has the same kind of door opening straight into stairs, and it's a daily annoyance.

• kendra_smyth
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Paul - what tool did you use to edit the paint color on the trim?! Amazing!

• Paul F.
    15 days ago

Photoshop, but I've seen others do a great job with a simpler app or online paint visualizer I believe.

• calidesign
    15 days ago

Your brick is beautiful and no maintenance. Save your money for the kitchen where it's needed, and just make some improvements in your landscaping to add some curves to your walkway.

Ranch House Driveway and Front Entry Paving installation · More Info

2015 Parade House · More Info

Cottage Garden with Curb Appeal · More Info

• housegal200
    15 days ago

Don't paint the brick but the trim. Remove the shutters entirely since they don't complement the style of windows you have. Save your money for a great kitchen and professional landscape design. Here are some different trims to consider:

LG HOUSE · More Info

Or sage:

Poppleton Park, Birmingham, MI Exterior Makeover · More Info

Magnolia Residence 03 · More Info

Here's a light taupe, but what really sets the house apart is the landscaping of shrubs, japanese maple.

• ptreckel
    15 days ago

Change your front windows. Note: Your notions of a front portico or porch might not be within the setback codes of your community. Your front steps might be marking the limit of what can be built street-side. Check before you commit to this option.

• okibujp
    14 days ago

No to painting the brick! Here's a mock up. I would also add some brick along the pathway.

• susan49417
    14 days ago

Personally, I would not paint your brick. I think it looks very nice. What I would change is as follows:

1. New house numbers. What you have looks cheesy.

2. New light fixture. Something bigger than you have.

3. Personally I would lose the shutters.

4. Paint your front door a vibrant color to stand out against the brick.

5. Landscape with some flowering bushes and get rid of all the depressing green bushes.

Re-evaluate at that point to determine if these relatively simple fixes are all you need. Good luck!..