Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drdeb1234

Wall oven thoughts?

drdeb1234
14 days ago

So my trusty 22 year old (!!!) kitchenAid wall oven seems to be finally possibly dying. A couple of times recently it has just turned off on its own, and one time there was a brief blue-screen-of-death type flash on the screen. So I'm thinking maybe it's a (unfixable) motherboard problem. Sigh. I had actually been thinking that when I eventually re-do my kitchen I would just keep using this old work horse cuz it seemed likely to last longer than any new thing out there.

So now I'm looking at getting a new oven probably sooner rather than later, and I have several thoughts:

There is a new floor model Fulgor Milano oven on deep sale for about $1400 (original price about $5500). I imagine there are some not-insignificant scratches or whatnot accounting for the deep discount, but that wouldn't bother me a bit. But, I've never heard of this company, and can't find much about it. I would pony up another $315 for a 4 year warranty for sure. I'd also check it out in person, but frankly, how much can you really tell before it's installed and cooking.

Second option is maybe a Miele. They are having their rare "free 10 year warranty" special at the moment. I am all about reliability and long lasting appliances so a 10 year warranty is very appealing. (got that with my Miele dishwasher and it really was very worthwhile). But that would be a much more expensive proposition, probably around 6K. (aackk my trusty kitchenaid set me back about $1200 back in the day).

Final thought might be check out another kitchenaid/whirlpool whatever for presumably not too much money and hope for the best. It seems to me that it's a big ol' crapshoot anyway; I have a friend who got the top-of-the-line wolf ovens and they have been major lemons.

Thoughts??

Comments (13)

• dadoes
    13 days ago

There are services that repair appliance boards. My mother's 2005 Whirlpool wall oven had the board fail in 2011. I sent the board to one of the services. It's 19yo now, continues working nicely.

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Interesting. I didn’t know that.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    13 days ago

Yes to researching a repair. We were told our KitchenAid built-in fridge was a goner. ($12k to replace). We found a repair place that replaced the motherboard for $1700. Still running after 10 years.

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Ok thank you! I had assumed a motherboard problem was fatal. I will definitely explore the possibility of a repair. I am strangely attached to this old clunker!

• awm03
    13 days ago

I had a 2003 KA wall oven, my first convection oven. I liked it very much too. Not only did it begin to turn off in the middle of cooking, it turned itself on one time!

I replaced it with this GE Profile Twin Flex double oven. It bakes better than my old KA, which was a good baker but the GE bakes so very evenly & on time. Switching to the small double ovens has been wonderful. Versatile, better kitchen workflow, & I like the bells & whistles & modern conveniences. I've yet to feel a capacity constraint. We've fed up to 20 people with it, & 10-14 often.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Profile-30-in-Smart-Double-Electric-Wall-Oven-with-Convection-and-Self-Clean-in-Stainless-Steel-PTS9200SNSS/315999217

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I might eventually go for a double oven, but that could only happen in the context of a full kitchen redo; they wouldn’t fit now. I would be very happy to be able to repair this oven so I can buy time to make big decisions like that.

• awm03
    13 days ago

I should have explained. The Twin Flex is the size of a single oven: two small ovens that add up to single oven capacity (2.8 cu ft & 2.2 cu ft).

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying

• 3katz4me
    13 days ago

I have a range at my vacation home that has thrown a few errors sporadically. Fortunately an old school appliance repair guy took it apart and re-soldered the broken contacts on the control board. He said it was caused by power surges and we do have a lot of outages at that place. He didn't even charge me because I'd had such a hard time scheduling the repair. All I could think was that a lesser person would have told me it wasn't worth repairing.

• latifolia
    13 days ago

What size is your current oven? The first step is to go on a website like AJMadison and see what will fit your space. Maybe you have already done that. Then check for features you do and do not want; e.g. self-cleaning and wifi enabled.

Find out what brands have service in your area. No point getting the Fulgor Milano if you can't get service.

I'm in the process of selecting a wall oven, and was able to narrow down the options fairly easily.

• dadoes
    13 days ago

Fix Your Board dot com is the repair service I used. There are others. All services don't handle all boards. Check the model number or research the board part number to provide in a contact message or call if it's not listed on a given service's website.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

I have a 17 yr old KA double wall oven and will really hate the day it no longer can be repaired IMO the best one I have ever owned . Have you checked out a repair I live in a small town but my repair guy fixed my cooling fan in mine with KA parts last year. for $300 . As for the replacement I would probably do the Miele with that warranty.

• drdeb1234
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I do have an "old school" appliance repair guy, who has done work on this oven over the years. I have a call in for him and am keeping my fingers crossed. I have also done a quick visit to an appliance store, and it seems 30" oven cutouts are not a standard thing like dishwashers, meaning that I likely could probably not fit a miele in my current space. There was a kitchenaid oven that would probably work.

Hopefully my guy can keep this oven going, so all these bigger decisions can be put off for a bit longer.