Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

First bloom goes to.....

I was surprised to see my first daylily bloom a couple of days ago. I had repotted and refreshed it only about 6 weeks ago. It's usually a double but its ffo was a single. Small but mighty.

Little Dream Caster.

Maryl

Comments (14)

• organic_kitten
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

lovely Maryll! How are you doing with the shingles?

i have six plants with scapes up but I think it will be a week or so later than last year to bloom since first bloom was the 16th last year and these are not ready to bloom yet but but they are pretty heavily scaped.

kay

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked organic_kitten
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    12 days ago

So pretty! Looking forward to seeing yours and Kay's starting to bloom.

Nancy

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Kay: Did you have a cold early spring that set back scapes? We almost hit 90 today, but it's supposed to cool down this week-end............ Shingles are still with me. Thankfully much better then February when I first had them, but still painful. Since it's nerve endings that are the most effected now, some days even a shirt is painful to wear. A half naked old gardener is not what passersby want to see however, so I grit my teeth throw on a "T" and carry on. I remember you said you had them twice. I've read that's not usually the case. I can't imagine going through this again...........Thank you Nan. You'd have liked this small but perfect bloom. So cute............Maryl

• organic_kitten
    12 days ago

Maryl, mine were on my face both times.. I was very blessed not to have them in my eyes but it was close and I saw the doctor the first day they break out happened so waws fortunate to begin on medication very early and always have it on hand. The immunw suppressants probably help with my getting them twice but I really feel for you having them on your body. They are indeed little devils and the after pain is mean too. Here is hoping and praying they are gone for good. quite soon.

Yes, we di have some early quite cool days but no polar freeze like last year. I think this may be a more typical year really. Your bloomis a lovely color and form.

kay

• Brad KY 6b
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Looks Great! Hard to believe you are having blooms already!!! Praying for recovery.

Brad

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    12 days ago

Lovely first bloom Maryl! I hope those nineties disappear for a while, too soon!

Sherry

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • mantis__oh
    11 days ago

Nicely patterned flower. By all means, get the new shingles vaccine. No one should have to go through that. My mother suffered terribly from shingles in her last months.

• shive
    10 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

What a pretty first bloom! This is earlier than normal for yours to start, isn't it? No scapes here yet, and I'm fine with that. I'm still weeding like crazy, I spent five hours weeding today. It was perfect weather for it - 63 to 66 degrees. It's supposed to stay cool for three or four days. Last week was in the high 80s - way too hot too soon.

Debra

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b
    9 days ago

Beautiful first bloom, Maryl. So happy when you and Kay start posting blooms. I have not been out this morning, Dumortieri looks like it might bloom any day. Buds are fat and showing color. I have scapes on Martin Blondeel, so it is going to be an early one. Fern stone does not have scapes yet, but Fern has not been happy for several years. I tried moving her a couple years ago, the plant looks better, but not blooming like it used to. I suspect she would like a bit warmer zone. Still, I will be watching for blooms for our southernly members and enjoy those til I have my own.

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Nancy 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    9 days ago

So sorry about your shingles, Maryl. I have known a few people who suffered with them, hope yours clear up soon

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Nancy 6b
  • organic_kitten
    9 days ago

Debra, are you sure about no scapes? I have 40 with scapes now and I know I am ahead being so far south, but surely not that far ahead. Every day I am finding more and more scapes...probably today because we finally had a good rain last night but it is quite cool so no bloom yet although there is color on Fwrnstone so it shouldn't be long. now before blooming starts here. And I am still putting out mulch in some areas too so I wish it would hold off a week or so but it does what it does,

kay

• shive
    9 days ago

Kay - I actually found two this afternoon - one on a seedling, and the other on Kiss of Paradise, which many years is the first to bloom. The end of April is when I usually start seeing the first scapes.

Debra

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked shive
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I checked my Happy Returns after reading Kay's comment to Debra. Because Happy Returns is in ground it suffers none of the disturbances that my pots have to go through in early spring. Sure enough scapes with buds are arising as I type.......... Little Dream Caster opened another single bloom today. Golly it's a cutie even as a single........Thank you Nancy on the well wishes. Let's see who of my Kentucky friends goes first - you or Brad.........................Maryl