Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_gonzalez16

Need help for a design plan!

Hey there! My friend, 23, male is moving into this space for only 3 months, but here’s the run down:

1. I hate the wall colors, but there’s no point in paying for paint for such a short lease, so I was thinking LED strips will help distract the wall color.

2. The bed frame is quite literally just the lift underneath, so I was thinking a few decorate pillows might enhance the space!

3. Potential color scheme: light grey, royal blue, with contrasting whites and cream white/ivory

Comment your thought for any ideas or to even agree, thanks!

Comments (9)

• 11 days ago

Please do not bother with led strips. I don't know about others, but I'm very picky when it comes to my personal space. Let him decorate it the way he wants. Decor is very personal. The ceiling light does zero for postive atmosphere in the bedroom - looks like a hospital. If you have to keep that, at least put it on a dimmer. Lighting is often seen as an afterthought, but it's actually quite important in a space. Please start (at the very least) with a substantial table lamp in each corner at chest height. Use a classic and simple style (one that is not trendy and won't go out of style). My Mom loved pillows, but I can't stand them. Again, let him decorate the way he wants. Only stick to two colors - NO MORE!!! Color has been my hobby for over 20 years. Rooms need to be either cool colors or warm colors - not both. The only exception is the popular combo of brown and blue. Please educate yourself about color and style. For reference, here are some cool colors: bright white, taupe, black, gray, silver, royal blue, purple, ice pastels, pine green, forest green, burgundy. Warm colors: peach, off-white, cream, tan, orange, red-orange, brown, olive green, golden yellow, gold. For style, put in top HOUZZ search box (one at a time) different styles. Examples include: traditional, transitional, casual.

• 11 days ago

Its 3 months. Forget About It. Spend the time exploring the area, focusing on the new job, or something else that matters.

• 11 days ago

My friend wanted me to decorate his place, I’m not trying to take control of his space. I have a very nicely designed room myself, but I’ve never designed a man’s room, so please relax on the aggressiveness. Thanks.

• 11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I would start with finding a comforter for the bed. I would then use those colors as a jumping point and coordinates large poster for the wall overvtge bed.

You could find free or very inexpensive furtunure on FB Marketplace. A comfortable chair and a small night stand and lamp.

That would be enough to make it homey.

• 11 days ago

@eld6161 Thank you so much! 🩷

• 11 days ago

I agree with eld6161's comments. One thing I did once was use pillowcases as valances. I just used clip rings and nailed into the top of the window frames (renter trick), but you could use the existing curtain rods. You might want to turn the bed so it's not against the baseboard heater. You could hang a tapestry on the wall behind the bed to act as a headboard.

• 11 days ago

So the paint kind of sucks but the bricks and marble are great. Get bedding, throw pillows cheap from Ikea - pickup on the grey tone in the marble. Use command strips to hang one poster or piece of art on the wall. Get a lamp, a cheap little stool for a bedside table, and put a plant somewhere in the room.

I wouldn't bother with the LED lighting.

• PRO
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Hon..........It's all Amazon

Sell it when you leave

Buy two, rotate and hang TOGETHER

But first?????

You say:

I made you a list!

Sheets

Pillows to sleep

Comforter set or quilt

Lamp!

Towels ?

A very inexpensive chair or recliner from Home Sense or Target OR AMAZON

A little art on the wall

Then you say......Lets go for coffee and to

THE INTERNET

Why do I say this? Because at 23, young men have been known to marry, to serve in the military, to even have a family or a child to care for, all alone.

He's your friend? That's what you do WITH a friend. For a man friend.

Your heart is in a good place, do no more than sit with him, go with him, or give opinion when asked. The gal you meet when he gets engaged is going to thank u: ) very much.

• PRO
    10 days ago

IMO 3 months will fly by . Get nice bedding for comfort a cahir to use to watch TV and a place for a computer . by the time thta is set up it will only be 2 months left . Not to mention where is he going then ? The less he needs to move on the better .