Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_423641629

Budget friendly ideas on how to tackle this enormous fireplace?

2 years ago

Hi everyone -


We've just closed on a new (to us) house. It's a 1989 time capsule that I'm very much looking forward to updating. There a few challenging elements that I'm not really sure how I want to update them. #1 is this massive brick fireplace in the corner of the sunken family room.


I'd say my prefered design esthetic is something akin to vintage/rustic Mediterranean/Southern European.


Does anyone have any great ideas on what we could do with this fireplace that won't bust the budget? (FYI - the floors won't be changing, but the walls & trim colour, lighting, and all decor will be changing. This is a photo from the listing - this isn't my furniture)


Comments (29)

  • 2 years ago

    IMHO, the fireplace is pretty awesome. I think the real issue (as you note in your description) is its size. If it were my house, I would be investigating if the angled section of brick on both sides can be cut off with an angle grinder (or other tool) to cut the fireplace down to a size that is more in line with the room.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You can limewash the bricks or do a German Smear technique on the bricks. Both techniques can be viewed in videos on YouTube.





    Andrea D thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 2 years ago

    I don't know what color you're thinking of painting the room, but yes to what Beverly said, depending on how you plan to paint the room. The wash effect would help the fireplace blend in and be deemphasized if the wall color is similar.

    Andrea D thanked kandrewspa
  • 2 years ago

    I wonder if hanging a large art over FP & adding a wood mantel would visually shrink the impact of the current size of it. I’d think about trying that before making a permanent change to the color first thing. Do everything else you want with the room first.

  • 2 years ago

    I'd whitewash the brick, put the TV on top & forget the rustic beam: https://www.houzz.com/photos/oro-valley-remodel-transitional-living-room-phoenix-phvw-vp~171637634

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks - that photo really helped visualize it. Much appreciated.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I'd remove all the bricks above the mantle.

  • 2 years ago

    I agree German Schemer could work nicely.


    You could also paint the brass with heat friendly black paint like this.





  • 2 years ago

    I sure kind the idea of removing the “ wings” and the brick above the mantle, if that’s doable. Probably would need some sheet rock repair. But then you’d be left with a pretty “ normal “ tidy brick fireplace.

    You could arrange your furniture, and see how you’d colors work, and how brick & floor tones work together. And what is your “ vision” , if you find you are leaning toward new furnishings & color scheme, and decide whether the brick as-is is all wrong for that vision. Lime- washing or similar can be considered after all that, or maybe you find the brick is just fine as-is when there is less of it. I think that’d be better than a hasty whitewash just to make things look a little better right away.
  • 2 years ago

    I think limewash would look pretty cheesy in here. I would just try to draw attention away from it. Point the lights elsewhere in the room instead of on the fireplace. Paint the brass black. Put a large nice very green plant to the left on the opening. Don't put a TV next to it. That is where all the focus point goes to in the room.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Whitewash or German Smear the bricks. Paint the brass trim on the fireplace black, then add a Mediterranean fireplace screen in front to cover the artificial firebox.


    Custom Fireplace Screens by: Fireplace Treatments


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    How bad is it really?


  • 2 years ago

    Wil the walls remain white? If not, the German Schmear or whitewash may not minimize the brick.

  • 2 years ago

    Yes, the walls will be a creamy/white colour.

  • 2 years ago

    I would paint the walls an interestng color before I painted the brick, which I like. Hang a piece of art on the FP. I would put the TV on the wall opposite your large sofa.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    You don't need to remove or whitewash the brick. Maybe try to partially cover it on the sides and top with woodwork or plaster.


    From Tired Trad to Terrific in Clarendon Hills · More Info


    Connecticut Estate · More Info


    Massachusetts Farm House · More Info



  • 2 years ago

    The realtor pics are very odd. The room looks too full but sterile at the same time. Maybe it's the lack of proper window coverings? Why did they leave the TV trays???? The fireplace is large and in charge but it's quite beautiful. As suggested above move slowly whatever you do to it that you can't undo. Maybe find a fireplace look you would really want first.

  • 2 years ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Diana does it again. Gorgeous ideas. Now that I see her images, I say keep the brick and build a cover that over time will enhance the space not try to disguise it. Once German Schmear fades you will be stuck with a fireplace that can't go back (easily) to it's original color.



  • 2 years ago

    personally I would not paint the brick or do anything off the bat that I could regret - get the room figured out and I think what to do with the fireplace will become clear

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Thanks, Boxer. I happen to like red brick, especially old, used red brick. It has a lot of character.

  • 2 years ago

    What a nice room! Congratulations on your new home 🏠! Will you do a floorplan? The room is a bit of an odd shape. Will that be your main tv viewing area? The view out the window is lovely, not sure I would put a tv in front of it. I don’t mind the fireplace. Is it gas? I don’t like glass doors or the sliding curtain screens, flat panel screens usually look much better. I would get moved in before deciding what to do with the fireplace. You can paint indoor brick yourself, just check that the products are intended for high heat areas.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I have to agree the wings are odd but the rest of the FP is good . I dislike corner FPs but that was the in thing in the 80s for sure. Please no TV in front of a window but maybe on the wall with the little shelving thing that is also too high .Then rearrange the furniture to enjoy the view too. Can you check to see if the wings can be removed I think that would be all I would do. BTW this is monster FP that I actually came to love during a huge renovation



  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Would suggest either painting the fireplace or using a German smear technique. Either one should lessen the impact of the fireplace and make it blend more with the surrounding walls. Attached is the German smear technique used on a stone fireplace.


  • 2 years ago

    Agree with Diana, good idea!


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I'd be careful about trading one time capsule for another. Painting/schmearing brick fireplaces to change them has been used forever but has been heavily suggested over the past 10+ years. And it often ends up as exchanging one bossy element for a different one.

    The brick color works nicely with the space. I'd try to figure out how to minimize the fireplace by removing some of the brick or with finish carpentry ideas like Diana mentioned above.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I would fear trying to remove just the wings or cutting the brick would be a nightmare but it would look something like this. EDIT: now I see the 3D below, it might not be so bad.

    You could remove the wings and also remove the brick on top and then drywall the angled substructure.


  • 2 years ago

    I like Joseph’s idea of removing the bricks above the mantle.

    While I'm not opposed to painting ir smearing, this brick is nice on its own.


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    This may be helpful. I found a link to view the fireplace closeup in a 3-D room viewer here:

    Link To View Room in 3-D


    When you zoom in on the brick wings, it does appear they can be removed, but there may be some gaps that need to be filled with bricks on the lower sides as the upper and lower walls do not appear to be on the same plane. Good thing is, when you remove the bricks, you will have plenty of bricks to work with.


    I would have a mason come in and give you a bid to remove those wings and discuss the possible downsides and remedies.