Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krupa_shukla

Agreeable Gray vs. Gossamer Veil or light her

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hello,

We currently have yellow vanilla type color. We want to paint our home to warm grey. Home is north facing with living room in south, foyer in north, kitchen in east and bedroom in west. Kitchen is bit dark and has brown cabibets.

Looking for single color that does with brown furniture as well as light gray sofa. Trim is hoing to be Pure white

Confusion: Agreeable Gray vs. Gossamer Veil. These colors are beautiful in south facing mid day. But in early morning and evening it is bit dark (without lights)

These colors look great in living room with lots of light, but on the hallway leading to upstairs look dark because of no windows.

I like warmth of Agreeable gray but lightness of Gossamer Veil. Gossamer Veil shows slighly green undertones, which is why am leaning towards agreeeable gray. However, agreeable gray appears little dark. Both AG and GV appear dark sometimes in the day. Am I overthinking? I am worried both AG and GV.

I dont like yellow vanilla type color currently, but I must admit it is more brighter.

Which is preferred AG or GV?

I have tried earlier repose gray (too dark) and drift of mist (too light).

Anything lighter than AG or GV? Should I go lighter? Is yellow making me not see warmth of AG and GV?

Between AG and GV, which looks good?

What about Crushed Ice?

Thank you.

Comments (30)

• 2 months ago

Agreeable Gray is very popular. One of my relatives painted her whole house with it and loves it. I think it's dreary. So each to his own. Have you looked at Drift of Mist? It's a little warmer.

Krupa Shukla thanked kandrewspa
  • 2 months ago

Please no gray!!!!!! That sofa will blend into the wall. Post pictures of the entire room.: you don't choose wall color before furnishings.

Krupa Shukla thanked jck910
  • 2 months ago

You have a house with multiple rooms and passageways. Each space will have different light depending on which way the windows face, and what is outside the window. In addition, the light in each space will change during the day, as the sun moves across the sky; the light will also change with the seasons.

Thus, it is nearly impossible to pick a single color that will work for every space in a house. Like you mention, Agreeable Gray is nice in some rooms, too dark in others, and sometimes looks green.* It will look drab in a low light room or space. And it's not a true gray, really; more of a greige.

When I moved into my house, there was a yellow peach color on the living room walls that I hated. And while the particular color was heinous, it had the right warmth for our mostly north facing house. You don't have to do a yellow, but you might find that a warm white works in your darker rooms, and Agreeable Gray works for rooms with more light.

My recommendations for warmer whites are: Benjamin Moore cotton balls (warmest of these colors, with a yellow creamy undertone), white dove (has some grey in it, but doesn't look grey), swiss coffee (a sophisticated and cozy white), and simply white (also a yellow undertone, but this color famous for never showing as yellow - it's just a pretty, bright, & warm white).

Regardless of whether you choose to use one color throughout, do not look at your color samples squished together like that - it's almost impossible to one color from another, and you can't see how each color will look on its own. You should also put each sample on a larger white piece of paper before you put on the wall, so that your current wall color doesn't affect how you see the sample color.

*every grey will have green or violet undertones, and the undertones can be more pronounced in a north facing room

Krupa Shukla thanked lara1812
  • 2 months ago

Kandrewspa - I tried drift of mist. It felt too light with greenish undertones. I like the undertones of agreeable gray. I just got 50% agreeable gray . I will check it out.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Gray paint in north-facing rooms might push me to reach for sharp objects. I'd be looking for inspiration from the area rug colors. Please post images of the rugs.

Do you really have such a traditional home combined with such modern seating? If your home is open concept, I'd consider white for the walls and then invest in large impactful art for the walls.

One thing to consider is that all those yellow walls must be primed white before any paint is applied to your walls. Yellow tends to bleed through. It has to be primed over.

Krupa Shukla thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 2 months ago

Jck910 - I know what you mean. I posted more pics. I thought anout this. i am thinking if sofa blends, i will accent wall with bricks. or put blue paintings like shown in pictures. Tall 3 panels blue paintings. If i do accent, it might be too dark. I am thinking accent celing using dark color in squares.

• 2 months ago

Lara1812 - I hear you. My husband likes grays. I dont mind white. Anything color that makes warm and lighter. i will look into these colors.

• 2 months ago

• 2 months ago

Sabrina Alfin Interiors - Thank you. That pictures look beautiful. Do you know SW equivalent if that color. This color reminds of crushed ice. Any thoughts?

Will these color go with brown dinung and sofa. i have these in adjacent rooms. I wad thinking of obe color that does with all furniture - Gray sofa and brown sofa

• 2 months ago

Sabrina Alfin Interiors - The sofa is warm gray.

• 2 months ago

BeverlyFLADeziner - Thank you. I posted pic of rug. There is some warm gray and white. Also what white is in those pictures? Any recommendation on warm whites?

• 2 months ago

Agreeable gray shows green in low light. You have low light. Your room, may look very dark and dreary with agreeable gray. I would, however get a nice sample of the Marilyns Dress, mentioned above. It could just be what you are looking for.

Krupa Shukla thanked cat_ky
  • 2 months ago

Is it possible to reply to the specific person who replied? or comment is the only way to write down thoughts. may be a silly question.

• 2 months ago

Cat_ky - Thanks. I have brown stairs and brown dining. will this color go with it? I think I have to keep same since dining room is visible from living room. so hoping to get color that meets both room.

• 2 months ago

If you use the @ symbol before the name you can sometimes tag the person... Otherwise just type their name in your message

@Krupa Shukla

You have a beautiful home. I can understand not liking the yellow. The yellow on your walls is making the gray look all wrong. But I think the light in your space is not going to make the gray shades you have chosen bright enough. I would find a color you like that will help your sofa to stand out but work with your painting choice and rug.

If gray is a must have you thought of Pale Oak? It's a greige color that can look gray sometimes and other times light beige. It is great in north facing rooms. I use Balboa Mist similar to Pale Oak and love love love it.

another photo of pale oak on walls

and on the ceiling is a fabulous gray also recommended by Benjamin Moore for north facing rooms... Chelsea Gray HC-168

If you have ruled out gray. There are many options you could do that would play off your blues

Swiss Coffee is another great color that can lift a space.

Fossil Creek Dining Room · More Info

Blue painted cofferred ceiling.. HC-145 Ben Moore with Metallic Glaze walls are Hush by Benjamin Moore

Greenwich Showcase House · More Info

Krupa Shukla thanked Boxerpal
  • 2 months ago

@Boxerpal. Thank you! I dont have to use gray. I dont like grayish look. I think the beige color will blend with beige floors. And sofa being gray and other furniture being brown, I am looking for warm grays.

With beige floors, can I still use beige? Will it go with gray sofa?

Pale oak looks beauitful! I will surely check this.

• 2 months ago

If you have a chance, check out BM Pale Oak SW Accessible Beige. These are both beautiful greige colors and very flexible for decorating with grays and warm woods.

Krupa Shukla thanked jackowskib
  • 2 months ago

I agree with the comment that you need not use the exact same color paint in every room. Rather, the colors should complement each other and perhaps look like they match when indeed they are actually different paint colors.

Krupa Shukla thanked Yvonne Martin
  • 2 months ago

@ jackowskib I tried acessible beige I think it is bit dark and beige. It gives yellowish look with warm floors. Might reconsider this.

I will checkout Pale oak. Thank you!

• 2 months ago

Yes, the Marilyns dress will go with your brown stairs etc. I suggested white for your kitchen on the other post. I am not a lover of white walls, but, in your kitchen, I think, white walls would work nicely, however, the Marilyns dress, may go well in there with your darker blue accents, and island.

• 2 months ago

You could prime just the wall behind the sofa with white primer. Then tacking up samples of paint colors will not be affected as much by the yellow tones of the current paint.

• 2 months ago

Did you buy the rug with the striking big blue and gray swirls?

• 2 months ago

@Krupa

You wrote

With beige floors, can I still use beige? Will it go with gray sofa?

Yes, of course you can use beige with a gray sofa. The important piece is do they have similar tones. A warm gray and a warm beige, a cool gray and a cool beige. The lighter you go on wall color the easier it is to work with. Soft layering of colors.

Here are some examples of cool and warm balancing together.

classic gray and beige

Great Room · More Info

gray owl BM is a great option too Check out the ceiling.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Krupa Shukla thanked Boxerpal
  • 2 months ago

@apple_pie_order

Yes, we got the rug. I hear you about yellow tones affecting colors. Thanks!

• 2 months ago

@Boxerpal. Tried today classic gray and pale okay. Both look nice! Leaning towards pale oak. Yet to observe in sunlight. You think pale oak will go with marble bathroom? I saw few pics online people using pale oak in marble bathrooms. Not sure though because of warmth. Then again it has hint of gray. Classic gray would be better with marble? Thanks!

• 2 months ago

@Krupa Another option... Is Balboa Mist BM. this is my go to and I have marble. It is slightly darker than Pale Oak. I think you should stay with Pale Oak just wanted you to see it does go with some marbles. Mine has a mix of gray and taupe and beige and lots of white.

Found this fantastic youtube that talks about why pale oak is so popular and gives you an another option. Strand of Pearls... Check it out.

Balboa Mist is my go too.

• 2 months ago

Are you planning to include the kitchen with this paint update? I notice you have a different thread on that topic.

Krupa Shukla thanked jackowskib
  • 2 months ago

@Boxerpal. I have bathroom with marble like tiles having browns, grays and lot of white. I have tried balboa mist and pale oak there there. Unable to decide. May be pale oak. I have seen pictures of balboa mist and white marble, but not pale oak.

I prefer pale oak because it is lighter and I think goes well with warm light floor. But since the same warm light floor is in bedroom which is connected to bathroom having marble like tiles, I am thinking will pale oak with marble having grays and browns? Not many online pictures for this.

Also, if you get chance please see related post about my kitchen. I have counterop with very faint grey veins (no brown). will pale oak look good with that kind of counterop? Kitchen is relatively dark with less windows. I think Balboa mist is too dark for kitchen. May be classic gray vs. pale oak gor kitchen. Thanks.

• 2 months ago

@jackowskib yes, I posted two diferent discussions. So far liking pale oak for living room with light floors and gray/blue sofa. I found similar pictures online.

Kitchen (relativel dark) not sure. Pale oak vs. classic gray. Will pale oak (in future) go as island color with white countertop. I have no problem with kitchen walls as pale oak, not sure about island. May be classic gray goes better as island color and walls. Pure white trim, pure white celing and classic gray wall and kitchen. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.