Software
Houzz Logo Print
sheila

Help me add more color to my bedroom

2 years ago

The painting above the bed is new, it’s by Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes. I’m hoping it will inspire a more colorful scheme for my bedroom. Any and all suggestions for paint, bedding, carpet, small objects, etc. are welcome. The windows face north and the sliding glass door opens onto a covered patio, so this room doesn’t get a lot of light, please help me brighten it up!

Comments (37)

  • Sheila Rowan thanked Lyn Nielson
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Such a fabulous piece of art hung there is sad. IMO where the TV is , is where that art should be the TV ceiling mounted since you love art in the space . Somwe needs to be hung a bit lower like the 2 at the entry . I lke the teal you have so then add that colr for a nice coverlet add a bright yellow throw at the end of the beed and 2 king size pillows in some nice textured covers in one more color from the art Then the drapes in a nice linen weave in really pale teal

    Sheila Rowan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 2 years ago

    Thanks, Patricia Colwell Consulting, I especially like your teal and yellow suggestions. But I also like having the painting over the bed, because I see it whenever I enter the room or walk by in the hallway; if it were over the dresser then I would only be able to see it from the bed, and nobody else would see it at all. Maybe the solution would be to get a Frame TV for that spot. Or maybe I should try to make a gallery wall around the TV?

  • 2 years ago

    I think the problem is the wall color. In the photos, it looks a little muddy and dull and is not a great backdrop for your colorful things. I think a crisp color with some saturation would brighten the room considerably. Something like the green in your bathroom.

    Sheila Rowan thanked deegw
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Bingo! Thank you, deegw, I think you are quite right about the wimpy-looking walls and I will be looking for a more saturated color to liven them up. Maybe I should try to repeat the color of the pool that can be seen through the slding glass door?

    I think you may also be right about the lack of pattern (I couldn't figure out how to attach this response to your second comment) . There is no small or medium scale pattern in the room. Although I'm not a maximalist, I'm thinking maybe a leopard print throw at the foot of the bed.

  • 2 years ago

    I'm going to play devil's advocate here. You have a subtle, beautiful room. All of your artwork is incredible, well hung, well placed, and goes with your wall color, the soft pinks, and the rest of the room. Loud accent colors and maximalism isn't going to make your room feel sunnier, it is just going to feel louder. The new art above your bed is wonderful. And it is quite alright to have it be the brightest thing in this very calm and tranquil room.


    There are actually some very subtle colors in the new painting, in addition to all the brights. I'd take away the bright pillows. Leave the teal foot stool. Get a bed cover to fold at the end of your bed with just a dash of color to nod to the new painting.


    The real issue here is your lighting? Can you show us what your overhead lighting looks like?






    Sheila Rowan thanked Kendrah
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You could get a headboard slipcover or get whatever fabric you like and DIY one. You could bring some color in with the drapes; maybe pick up on the purple/plum of your pillow.


    ETA:








    Sheila Rowan thanked freedomplace1
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    The livelier the wall color is, the less lively the painting will be.

    Sheila Rowan thanked User
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Some inspirational photos. I think a great ceiling light fixture would add a lot to the room. A muted be substantial wall color would be great. Perhaps a rechargeable art light over this art would help highlight the art and provide additional ambient lighting. These lights have come a long way and I really like the ones we have.

    Sheila Rowan thanked Flo Mangan
  • 2 years ago

    Can you move your outdoor black seating to the other end of your pool so you get a much longer view of the outdoors? That would lend more light and color to the interior.


    I like how the colors of the coverlet "talk" to the paintings. The white room makes the colors more vibrant. You don't need a lot of little bits of color around the room.

    South Melbourne Family Home · More Info


    Get a wider foot-of-the bed bench in a color from the painting. This one is from Wayfair.


    Sheila Rowan thanked housegal200
  • 2 years ago

    I would get a beautiful white comforter. I would keep the settee the lovely turquoise shade. Maybe some billowy sheer white curtains. I would keep your accent pillows as they are. The painting is enough color for the room in addition to the settee and the accent pillows. Looks nice.

    Sheila Rowan thanked Cara Fidler
  • 2 years ago

    Question: What color are the walls? They look grayish. A bright white would better set off the painting and colors you may add. You could also get a white headboard slipcover to further hightlight the art work. Amazon has headboard slipcovers in all sizes.

    Sheila Rowan thanked housegal200
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Thanks Kendrah, you are right about the painting having some neutral colors. I love the photo of the throw, do you know where to get it? The ceiling has a fan, which I would like to keep. But I certainly could add some different lamps on the side tables


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I think your room looks great, and I like a lot of ideas others have suggested for a few tweaks.

    One thing that stood out to me is how much livelier and more colorful your view outside could be:



    I like the outdoor furniture, but would add pretty pots with colorful plants — on the table, around the seating area, etc. Maybe a colorful throw pillow or two.

    Look at the difference on this porch with beautiful annuals:


    Maybe a citrus tree in a pot?



    Tons of inspiration out there … I just think it would make a nice difference on the inside, too, especially repeating colors.

    Sheila Rowan thanked Jilly
  • 2 years ago

    Thanks, freedomplace1, the color of the headboard bothers me too. But it would be hard to slipcover because the sides and foot of the bed are upholstered also. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a new bed?

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks AiFL, I know that brighter walls would make the painting look less intense, but maybe that is a good thing, because right now the rest of the room is too bland?


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The headboard doesn’t have to match the rest of the bed. The ‘Matchy-Matchy Bed Police’ will not be showing up at your house. :) And the existing headboard doesn’t “bother” me - but it is just another way to add color. Please do not get another bed!! 😳

    If you want to put another color on the headboard, and it would bother you that it doesn't match the rest of the bed, try an oversized comforter. Something plush with loft would look nice.




    Sheila Rowan thanked freedomplace1
  • 2 years ago

    Hi Jilly!! Nice to see you!! You’ve been hiding out (and I don’t blame you!! :))

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks Flo Mangan, the room has a modern white ceiling fan which I would like to keep for hot weather, but I could certainly change the lamps on the bedside tables, and put brighter bulbs in the hanging light to the left of the bed.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Thanks housegal200, I think I can rearrange the patio furniture to get better sightlines, great idea. I love that coverlet, wish I could find a similar one in my colors. I also like your idea of making the bench wider, and maybe a little lower as well.

    I just saw your question about wall color. They are light green now, I am thinking to change to the light aqua found in the painting, but white could work as well.

  • 2 years ago

    Hi, Freedom! 😁😘

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks, Cara Fidler. Great minds think alike, I already have the sheer white curtains, and I have a white duvet cover that I could use. But then what would you do about the wall color?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Thanks, Jilly, you are right, there is certainly room for improvement in the view outside. I plan to rearrange the patio furniture to create a longer sightline, and I will put some yellow and hot pink flowering plants on the tables to pick up those colors in the painting. My pots are mostly neutral colors, due to an unfortunate mismatch in the colors of the paving and the pool tile, but I think abundant blooms can make up for that.

    Look what you inspired! A round dark wood coffee table will be coming in two weeks


  • 2 years ago

    Thanks freedomplace1, you just solved my upholstered bed problem! The headboard covers on Amazon are all solid color; do you know anywhere I can get one with a small-scale pattern instead?

  • 2 years ago

    @Sheila: You might not want a patterned headboard slipcover because it will complete with the painting a little too closely. Art work stands out most against solid colors.

    Sheila Rowan thanked housegal200
  • 2 years ago

    I'm thinking a very small scale, subdued pattern such as houndstooth that will blend in with whatever wall color I finally choose.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Sheila, that looks great, what a difference! I didn’t even think of doing a different furniture arrangement … good call, you nailed it. :)

    Sheila Rowan thanked Jilly
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Hi Sheila,

    As I mentioned in my first comment up thread, you can get any fabric you want and DIY one. You can basically just wrap the fabric around the headboard and secure it. Or any tailor/seamstress should be able to sew one for you. If you have a local drycleaner, there may be a tailor on the premises who would be willing to do it. It should be pretty simple to sew. You can also check Etsy.com. There are people on there who sell headboard slipcovers, and many sellers do custom work. You can also search Google for ”patterned headboard slipcovers.”



    ETA:


    https://katyelliottcom.wordpress.com/2021/03/31/no-sew-diy-headboard/#:~:text=Make%20sure%20your%20fabric%20is,Tuck%20behind%20the%20headboard.

    Sheila Rowan thanked freedomplace1
  • 2 years ago

    The quilt is from schoolhouse.


    How many bulbs can your ceiling fan take and do you have the brightest and highest watts possible? Playing with bulbs or a fan that can take more bulbs could dramatically change the feeling of light in this space.


    Brainstorm for bedside lighting - You don't want lamps to block the nice natural light you have coming in from your windows. Could you suspend clear glass pendents over the bedside tables that you use for general room illumination - hang them higher than a lamp height, probably in the uppder square region of your shutters. And then get very small reading sconces that hang just at the outer edge of your bed for reading/task light?


    I'm really not a fan of cats, but man yours are so cute!



    Sheila Rowan thanked Kendrah
  • 2 years ago

    This is just one example of one Seller on Etsy and they have a number of nice pattern options on this one. None of these may be what you are looking for, but they may be for someone else who sees this. But the whole idea is - there is a ton of stuff out there. And you can also get any fabric on the planet that you want and make your own.




    Sheila Rowan thanked freedomplace1
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    These ceiling fans (and wall fans) are also made in Brazil and are available in similar vibrant colors.


    Vent Betina in Esmerelda (Green)



    Brisa 2000 in Aqua Marinha (Light Blue)



    Duplo Dinamico in Ametista (Purple)



    Michelle Parede Wall Fans in Esmerelda (Green)


    By: Bestoutdoorceilingfans.com

    (indoor & outdoor fans)


    Sheila Rowan thanked Fireplace Treatments
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    That headboard slipcover seller is on eBay - not Etsy. I was just trying to find them on Etsy and it was not easy! :)



    ETA:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/403607095853?


    Sheila Rowan thanked freedomplace1
  • 2 years ago

    Those fans are cool! But I would just paint what I have before I shelled out over two grand for one lol

    Sheila Rowan thanked justcallmepool
  • 2 years ago

    I really like the fans, especially the purple one. But I think I should decide on wall and bedding colors and treatments before I get too carried away with other ideas. Since this room has a tray ceiling, I wonder whether I could use color(s) other than white for the ceiling?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago



    Kendrah, I didn’t know Schoolhouse had such nice bedding But I’ve also been looking at Marimekko and I wonder how this print would look with the painting? It would hopefully blend in with the sisal rug, but if the two beiges don't play well together, I could replace the rug, which is old and stained anyway.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    These colored fans would look even better with a tray ceiling. And, they are from Brazil, which really does compliment the artwork.

    Sheila Rowan thanked Fireplace Treatments