Shop Products
ashley_kane12

Landscaping near driveway help

New build, first home. Our builder left the side of our driveway like this. It’s a drive under garage. Any ideas for landscaping?

There’s also another section maybe 4’ of grass from the driveway to this ditch. Is this something we should be concerned about with erosion?

• last month

Can you post pictures of the whole front of the house so we can see how things fit together?

• last month

If you aren't going to use the gravel area for extra parking, fill it with shrubs. I'd add shrubs or understory trees to the treeline, too. It will both stabilize the slope and hide it.

• last month

The rock wall appears to be a retaining wall and I wouldn't remove it. It's odd that they just thew a bit of gravel in front of it and didn't cover the whole area. Especially since they tossed some gravel over on the other side of the drive, for seemingly no reason. I would suggest either covering the whole area with gravel, or removing it and planting grass. I think the two bushes next to the steps were planted way too close and I would move them now while they're small. Is that gravel at the foot of the steps? I hope you're going to pour concrete there, or that could be a fall hazard for anyone coming down the steps. For erosion control, you could plant a ground cover, or add more gravel. Personally, I would rather have a ground cover. I don't know where you live, so I can't suggest any plants for landscaping.

• last month

What Sigrid said about that gravel space. We can’t see how the whole driveway area is set up, but from this narrow view that area looks like an “oops we don’t know what to do here and we don’t want to spend money on it so just pour gravel and go on.” Obviously the driveway itself isn’t gravel so this spot looks cheap. And I would imagine the wind would blow all kinds of leaves and debris in here so it will continuously look trashy.

That young shrub at the far right side next to the sidewalk is way too close to the sidewalk/steps. And is there a safety issue with the steps/dropoff above the graveled area? I’d want some kind of railing(s).

Maybe you need two tiers. See sample below.

• last month

Here are more photos for you, sorry about that!

• last month

And there’s some closer to the garage on this right side, doesn’t bother me as much bc water run-off.

• last month

We are located in NH re: planting suggestions. Thank you all so much!

• last month

Thanks for the new pictures. Your home is much more attractive than it looked in your first ones! It’s very nice in a beautiful setting.

Now I can see that there are TWO shrubs that are much too close to the sidewalk/steps. The first two you come to after you climb the first 3 steps.

These new views reinforce my feeling that this gravel spot is very much out of place at this otherwise nice property. I’d create a new lower level to the existing raised bed and completely do away with any gravel. Keeping the gravel contained (off the asphalt driveway) and debris-free looks like it’s going to be a PITA.

• last month

Maybe it's an aesthetics choice. For me, the no wall on the left, lawn flowing down to the drive and wide curved and welcoming first steps segment and landing fits as the entrance. The entire entrance and porch would look good in pavers. With an extended apron at the bottom.