Shop Products
dovari

Extra wide galley kitchen help needed, please

Hi, we just bought an older home in the northeast and are struggling to figure out a new, more user friendly layout. We are going to be taking out all the cabinets and the flooring. Just need to figure out how to use the space. Since my husband is an electrician, he can move the appliances wherever works best. Need a new place for the fridge because the right side door does not open all the way.

• 25 days ago

Congrats on your new home! People will be able to give you ideas if you post a 2D overhead layout showing all measurements for walls and doors, and indicating adjacent rooms. We'll also need to know if you are open to moving plumbing, walls, or anything else, and if there are things you want to keep (e.g. locations of appliances, etc.) What about the current layout feels awkward?

Here's a great place to start: Read Me First (click here)

ETA: Was posting at the same time as @anj_p

I'd consider putting the range on the same wall as the sink/DW and keeping the opposite wall as tall storage. You could also create an "L" countertop/base cabinet configuration between the kitchen and dining areas, with a couple of counter stools on the dining room side. On the storage wall, get a built-in fridge so it looks cleaner.

Something like this with the stools on the dining room side:

Lo-Hi Residence · More Info

• 25 days ago

NIce! Thanks

P.S. I'd also think about removing the window and door on the sun room side and putting in a slider instead.

• 25 days ago

I'd take out the wall and storage closet between the kitchen and living room. Also probably the small wall between the dining room and hall. Move the entrance or door to the sunroom all the way to the front corner. Take out the window between the sunroom and kitchen. Now you've got the walls for an L kitchen with the range on the sunroom wall. Induction with a hood. Switch the sink to a single 24" in a 24" sink base. That size is 21" interior width. It can be strap mounted. All lowers are wide drawers. Put the frig at the dining room end of that sink run. You now will have space for an island without seating if you want one. You'll need your husband to install good work zone task lighting. DMF recessed are designed by electricians. Home - DMF Lighting

• 25 days ago

I think I'd close up the window on sunroom wall...the passage to the sunroom is enough. I think I''d narrow the opening between kitchen and dining....with these two adjustments you can have a nice wide U shape kitchen using the long rear window wall and two shorter sides. Then I would create an opening between living room and kitchen...about between range and pantry ....you can have a coffee/ entertainment style set up over in lower left corner of kitchen...good relationship with dining room and living room both. .....get a couple configuration ideas and throw up your favorites. the wide galley which is really a traffic lane is something to redo for sure. dont rush w a plan.....you can miss doing the best for the space.

• 25 days ago

I like Sabrina’s L idea, especially as it could possibly give you the option of having a buffet/service area on the dining room side.

I’m wondering whether you wouldn’t get more out of having a narrow baking table in your space. I’m thinking of something utilitarian and not necessarily fixed to the floor, with shelves or drawers. You don’t have a ton of counter/prep space. An L will help, but a table might help more. One nice thing about an unfitted piece is that you can change it as your needs change, or as your style changes. Just make sure to choose something narrow (20” perhaps) so you have enough room to circulate, and you don’t want it to be a barrier between the sink and the stove, so don’t place it too close to the door.

I’ve made some tall pantries to the left of the range, and uppers and lowers to the right of it. These help define your cooking zone, and give you the option of placing your microwave, toaster, and coffee maker in that zone.

There are many styles of baking table to fit whatever your aesthetic. I prefer something you could work pastry on, like marble or soapstone, but if you are not a baker, you might prefer butcher block.

• 25 days ago

Your space could use a major upgrade in ambient and task lighting. Whether you stick to the basics, recessed and under cabinet lighting, or mix it up with decorative flush mount or articulated fixtures, it will eventually look like a warm, inviting space to cook. Luckily, your husband can do all of that, and give you a new panel if you need one.

• 25 days ago

Where are you flexible? Can windows, doors, and/or walls change, be moved, added, or even eliminated?

What is the "Storage" closet used for? If it's not already, could it be a pantry?

We really need more information. We need the actual measurements of your space, not an estimated size of the overall Kitchen. Without the actual measurements, everyone is guessing at what will/will not work/fit. They may be good guesses, but they're still guesses.

Taken from the Featured Answer of the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread (same link Anj_p referenced above):

Please post a fully-measured layout of the space under consideration . It can be either hand-drawn, computer generated, or drawn up with computer/app tools.

By "fully-measured", we mean a layout with the widths of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/door/doorway labeled. See a sample below. If something cannot be moved or changed, label it precisely on your layout (see post in sample) and tell us why it cannot be moved/changed -- we may have some ideas for you.

Regardless of how you draw it up (by hand, computer, etc.), please be sure all measurements are labeled. (Note: Computer generated layouts often lack key measurements and, sometimes, measure to/from things like the middle of a wall or the middle of a window. Neither are useful. Measure each item and the distances between each item.)