Software
Houzz Logo Print
quixoticpandora

Modernize or embrace the original style (also what is it)?

2 years ago

First home for us and over the next few years we plan to make many updates. I want consistency throughout and for it to generally appeal for resale/rent in the longer term. So I'd like to decide the style now and use that as a guide for future projects. Here's the debate - can we go more modern with the right changes or would it be better to embrace the original style more? I also have no idea what style home this actually is. Help!



Comments (8)

  • 2 years ago

    It looks as though it started out as a ranch. Do you know if there were any additions? It is a simple facade.

    I think you can take off the shutters, since the other windows don't have them. I would update the lanscaping along the foudation.

    What were you think of doing?

    quixoticpandora thanked houssaon
  • 2 years ago

    @houssaon good questions! I'll look into past additions. I definitely want to widen the porch columns, do some real landscaping (thinking something like this), big debates are changing the windows (including removing shutters) and painting. I'm less sure about the paint given the unusual roof color.


  • 2 years ago

    I like your current color. A light sage would work. Some color options with your roof.

    Waterstone Residence · More Info


    Contemporary Farmhouse Style - Haddonfield, NJ · More Info


    quixoticpandora thanked houssaon
  • 2 years ago

    What a nice house!! Congratulations!🎉🍾🏠 I would box the posts and live in it for a bit to see how functional it is for you. Construction is still expensive, but the price of lumbar is dropping, so maybe things will settle down soon. The roof is a big part of the exterior of a home, so don’t do any major color changes until it’s time for a new roof.

    quixoticpandora thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 2 years ago

    I would leave it the color it is. It goes well with the brownish roof color. Definitely make those columns bigger. You can just create a box around them, and leave the originals inside the box. I rather like the shutters on the front. There are none on the upper back, and it looks a bit plain compared to the upper part of the front.. Also like the picture you posted of landscaping. The house itself looks very nice and needs very little done on exterior, so the posts and landscaping is where I would put the money.

    quixoticpandora thanked cat_ky
  • 2 years ago

    When I saw this pic it reminded me of how your exterior could lean towards this style too with some updates.

    quixoticpandora thanked Emily
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I wouldn't spend extra money to upate the ouside to "modern farmhouse". Unless you are selling in 2-3 years that trend will be over and you'll be back with a "dated house". Updating the column and items like that are a good idea, It's correcting the proportions and that's always a plus. I really like your home and see some great landscaping opportunities like in the pic you posted. Back yard is also begging for a covered area but that may not be a necessity depending on how your house sits.


    Edit to add - I wouldn't update to modern farmhouse even if you were selling soonish. Money is better spent else wear but them I'm also already tired of the trend.

    quixoticpandora thanked aziline