Software
Houzz Logo Print
cleconte63

Need help with decor of big empty wall!

13 years ago
Should I put shelving, or canvases?

Comments (38)

  • 13 years ago
    use this wall to pull in a large canvas with color!!
    Christine thanked hartmant22
  • 13 years ago
    Remove all the items above plus the small bookcase and focus attention on one great large canvas with lots of color. Try a grass cloth or sisal area rug to fill in the center of your sectional.
    Christine thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    For now, nothing on the ledge. Once you find a nice big colorful canvas for that wall, then find some things to go up there in the colors from the art.....in groups.
    Christine thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Fabulous painting or tryptych art work, Bookcases add architectual interest but do you need? aAre you a knidle person? Where is media/tv? items on shelf are un -related - try to have an understandable collection such as vases and bowls related through color and design
    Christine thanked Alicia Shearer Interior Design
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Get rid of the little shelf unit. Put some Big-A art on that wall.
    Christine thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 13 years ago
    I hang large rugs on my walls - usually Navajo or tribal. They fill up and warm up the space. If the rug is somewhat "fuzzy", just staple a piece of hook velcro to the wall and the rug will hang up just fine. It the rug isn't too "fuzzy", you can either staple it directly to the wall or sew washers to the rug and use nails in the wall to hang the washers on.
    Christine thanked pollmer
  • 13 years ago
    One large art piece will hang well on this great wall; or a gallery of pictures. Visit www.uttermost.com for great art and accessories. They have from original to reproduction and prints. Look for an art piece that has vibrant colors and that it incorporates some yellow color tones to bring out the yellow in your pillows.
    As for your plant shelf; take down the hour glass (can't tell what is behind the fan on the shelf); bring in some greenery to add a natural feel and group the remaining decorative items together. The key is to have items grouped from short to tall, and groups of three items work well. Good Luck and have fun. View the picture below. It is a different shelf configuration, but it shows some decorative elements.
    Christine thanked Denise Whitley
  • 13 years ago
    Depends on what you need. If you're short on storage, then I'd do shelves. If not, then could go with one big piece of art, or a gallery wall.[houzz=
    madebygirl · More Info
    ]
    Check out the article:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/a-gallery-wall-for-every-personality-stsetivw-vs~538039
    Christine thanked Anne
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you have a green thumb and don't mind climbing step stools I would put some plants on the top shelf. Then for the wall itself try wall decals. Here is a fun one http://dalidecals.com/Airplane-Landing-on-the-Runway-Wall-Decals-Graphics-Stickers.html though without seeing the rest of your home I have no idea if this is appropriate. However if you Google "wall decals" you will find plenty of sites and tons of designs both large and small for a fraction of what art will cost you.
    Christine thanked Patio Productions
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I am an artist, but I would still vote for art. =)

    Unless you need more storage.

    Feel free to look for inspiration.

    http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/
    Christine thanked Angelina Vick
  • 13 years ago
    I vote removing the top items as well. Here are a few ideas for you with varying costs. Large original art is my first choice. Second choice would do a budget painted frame..then enclose framed art inside. Or, (they look good now) a wall mural!
    Transitional Living Room View 2 · More Info

    Hollywood Regency Living Room · More Info

    Makena Beach Wall Mural · More Info

    Old Giant Wall Mural 8-520 by Komar · More Info
    Christine thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Art will bring interest to your space. Most contributors to this discussion agree with that. However, it is your space and your decision. If you decide on art, you can check out our page for art and color ideas. Enjoy!... Raisa
    Christine thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Can the sofa be rotated around so that its back is against the wall or is there a reason (ie. tv viewing) that it is in this position? It seems to be blocking visual flow.
    Christine thanked Super Organizing Solutions
  • 13 years ago
    Find one large painting that you love and want to look at every day for the rest of your life.
    Christine thanked groveraxle
  • 13 years ago
    Oh yeah, and take the stuff down from the ledge.
    Christine thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If it clears, why not move the curio cabinet to that wall and add some art around it.
    Christine thanked Super Organizing Solutions
  • 13 years ago
    Paint that wall a nice bronze and add a decal like this only $88 and a gallon of paint;)
    Trees Vinyl Wall Decal by Cool Graphicss · More Info
    Christine thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you everyone for all your recommendations! I can see the consensus is to put a piece of art that has a wow factor! And thank you for your recommendations about he pieces on the top shelf. I agree that grouping will look better. I have attached a panoramic view of the room so you also have a better understanding of why the couch is the way it is. Please excuse the baby stuff :)
  • 13 years ago
    I was also thinking decals as Margo suggested. Some are really, really cool looking.
    Christine thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Are you interested in drapery? Looks like you need some to soften windows and cozy up the space.
    Christine thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    lucky you! great ideas! my preferences are: tumbling plants to 'frame' big-A art; wall decals on vibrant wall colour; exceptional carpet. i have used all of them with great success. your panoramic shows you already have lovely, big art-- do you want 'matchy' ? you have great architectural details would you like to enhance them? do you want to 'cozy' the space or make it feel vast? e.g. an interesting colour on the window wall continuing around both corners above the shelf will cozy the space; wall decals that continue to above the shelf will enhance the ceiling height; you can add symmetry treating both walls in a similar manner, etc
    Christine thanked kathleen currie
  • 13 years ago
    that wall is crying out for a wood wall treatment.....reclaimed wood running either vertically or horizontally in staggered lengths would add warmth, texture and history to the room. Check with your local salvage or reclaimed lumber yard for wood options. Some blogs/folks will suggest using old pallet wood, but beware: most are treated with nasty chemicals to keep away pests and you don't want that in your house!
    Christine thanked midcenturymamma
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Giving you a few visual ideas.

    =)
    Christine thanked Angelina Vick
  • 13 years ago
    I would get rid of the small bookcase and do a large gallery wall. A big piece of art on that wall will be too matchy with the art on the other wall and it looks like you have family photos to display. Maybe a mixture of colored frames to bring in more color (navy, wood, creams) and a mixture of family photos and other art. Then add patterned fabric shades in tans, yellows and blues on the windows. Throw a splash of red in there too. Can you turn the coffee table the other way? Great room!
    Christine thanked Renee
  • 13 years ago
    Add a Horizontal art piece with contrast to existing colors. red like an Obey design....

    Vine plant, not the ones with leafs but twig like looking....
    Christine thanked panazza1
  • 13 years ago
    Also the vine plant should be placed on the left side and extend to the right and drop right above the switches. Vine should hang off the edge of the ledge.
    Christine thanked panazza1
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Grover...I just reread your post.

    For the rest of your life? Wow...that's a big commitment. I think finding art that I really love right now is good enough for me. I change...I know the art I love will change too.

    I do agree with the "find art you love" part. =)
    Christine thanked Angelina Vick
  • 13 years ago
    Find more on Google. OBEY...
    Christine thanked panazza1
  • 13 years ago
    Thought I would share how the pot shelf in my living room looks. I don't particularly like them bare but also not too cluttered. :)
    Christine thanked unwantedadvice
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What a beautiful home and thanks for sharing more of it with us. I have to agree that some things look nice up there, too and you have done a nice job with the darker colors up there. And now that we see that big piece on the other wall, which is perfect, yup.......a gallery wall makes more sense.
    Christine thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Depends on your style. If you prefer minimalist, go with the "one large canvas," idea. However, this wall is large enough that you could go for an eclectic mix of shelves and interesting and differently shaped wall hangings, photos, artwork, etc. Good luck! I hope you post your final choice.
    Christine thanked 87seablue
  • 13 years ago
    Something else to consider: will people try to walk by that side of the sofa and knock everything off the shelves?
  • 13 years ago
    That is a perfect wall for a photo wallpaper mural... I personally love close-up flower murals but I have a very modern home. They have so many to choose from or you can even give them any image and they will make a custom one. Any canvas you were thinking of you could do a wall mural of instead that would fit the entire wall. The prices vary depending on the company, if you do a google search and find one at a high end store that you like you could then shop around for prices.. Ebay and aliexpress have lots of stores that make them with great prices. Well thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the wall, especially being a free standing wall like that ~ it would look fabulous!
    Christine thanked Jessica Brunelle
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Jessica, Here is one idea. It is popular now to mix frames, frame styles and shapes, sizes. Here is a sample. You can go online to Pottery Barn, IKEA, Williams Sonoma, etc... and home good stores to buy frames. Then frame your own photos and artwork!...

    http://www.houzz.com/projects/79580/Delaware-Place
    Christine thanked Arlene Awarda Architect
  • 10 years ago

    I would definitely go with grouping, (family pictures, ) or canvasses (3 small ones) or one big piece of art