Software
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Time to Get Rid of the Wolf

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've rebuilt my Wolf DF waay too many times to remember...it's a design flaw. This is Gen 1 of their DF. It has served it's useful Expensive Out of Warranty Repair life. Like a German car, great while under, expensive once out....

The design flaw is that the gaskets that is on this unit relative to the design.....they don't last and to service it, well read below

I swore if I was going to require this rebuild again, out she goes.

I'm sticking to my decision on this and probably should have done it earlier.

Gaskets if not all parts are all MAP priced..

I spend easily 500+ as when I redo it, I go all in.

$300 bux in gaskets, then you add the ignitors and spark modules.

I do it all since in order to do 1, you end up breaking all the gaskets on this thing....so I might replace every thing I can while breaking $300 in gaskets.


The cost being posted in just parts. I've got a a solid 5hrs of repair time as I while I have it broken down, I will clean the top pan 100% and seating the O Rings and Gaskets - some take a little finessing to do as it doesn't just sit on the burner cap as you put it back on and need to -fudge- with it slowly and and more often than not, relift it, reseat the O ring, etc until you know you're making good contact and the O Ring is in in the milled position of the Burner Cap.


---

A little side story. One year, I called SZ. I was just asking the tech=CS rep, do I have the correct PN for XYZ or has anything subsequented it (thinking a revision to a better part/material), etc. The rep asked why - I explainted to him the POS stove I have and that I rebuild the entire thing every time I touch it. He asks if I could forward him a copy of the parts receipt I paid on my previous repair..... I DID NOT ask for antyhing or was expecting anything....but he replies back to my email and lets me know he's cut out a check for the parts paid on it's previous repair

Comments (7)

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You can pick induction now. Bosch or Electrolux to look at.


  • 2 years ago

    It's been a loooong time since I've looked at the Induction Offereings. Last time, it was a Gaggan.

    I do like the *knobs* in this pic but I'm still 50% using my copper . The wifey prefers the stainless - mainly as she doesn't have to worry about ### the tin, and she can scrub on it 50 different ways without thinking she has #$$#@ my copper stash.

  • 2 years ago

    Bosch has timers.

  • 2 years ago

    10 Piece 5 Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set | All-Clad This is copper core. D3 is more than adequate because induction allows the very quick change in heat. And control. Imo you won't need copper.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Other things to deal with....like maybe new stove = new redesign with induction:counterop , redesign of kitchen, etc....

    I bit the bullet and ordered the parts to overhaul it once again. And paid a Kings fee ransom - deeeziner appliances = deeziner parts pricing. What weighed less than 1 lb shipped via Ground, I paid deeziner shipping rates of $34 via ground.

    I woudn't be griping if I was asking this to be shipped Next Day Air Red Eye......just hate how it's so expensive, even on the huge markup on shipping

    Just hate paying MAP on cheap inferior parts that don't last and now to add insult to this constant 3 1/2 -4 year repair cycle, is MAP shipping fee schedule

    For the *masses* who may have a repair appliance guy out to this level or repair, I could only imagine...

    This entails removing burner top, which breaks all the gaskets on the burners.

    So I end up refreshing the whole thing (new gaskets and ignitors on all burners and new spark modules to boot)

  • 2 years ago

    The good thing is you've got a fixed time frame for your full redesign. You can take the time to get a more functional kitchen with good lower wide drawer cabinet storage, wide counter work zones and well positioned no shadow lighting. 4 years should be plenty. Get on the email list for All-Clad Factory seconds Sales. The best deals are at BF.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    AC is over-rated....

    Not going to knock them

    They were my 1st cookware set till my cookware set evolved into what it is today

    It's a terrible hobby. I probably have like 7 households worth...

    For Copper.....it's a good mix of 3mm stuff

    My Stainless of Preference is primarily Demeyere....thicker Aluminum Core

    I like the No Rivets as well

    Not a fan of Cast Iron at all and have 2 Field CI. I've used it twice that are now $450 paperweights. I only bought them to catch up with the Jonses only to remind myself how much I dislike Cast Iron and it's so over-rated.

    If I had to get a induction capable copper, it would be Falk but the copper is only 1.9mm of copper in the induction capable line. Still ALOT better than then less than 1mm thick copper in the All Clad Copper Core Line