Software
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

Paint recs for windowless kids bath?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all, I am about to paint my kids' (now teens) bath. I would love some recommendations. I originally just painted ceiling, trim, and walls all BM chantilly lace (due to design fatigue). But after living with the color for over a year now, it feels a little sterile/dingy. I would love to get your recommendations for a color that will make the bath still be bright and airy, but fresh and more youthful? It is only an 8x5 bath with no windows.


Would you go with a more contrasty white? or a real color? we would like to keep the ceiling and trim colors BM chantilly lace. Thank you for your help!!!


Here is what we have right now. We only need to paint two tiny wall segments. The vanity wall has white subway tile all the way to ceiling.

Also, please excuse my kids' mess!!





Comments (26)

  • 2 years ago

    This would be fun!


    michoumonster thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • 2 years ago

    I love blue or blue-green in bathrooms, but because of the small wall area you have to paint, I think a strong color would not coexist with all the tile well. I think you need a more carefully chosen white. I can't tell from pictures exactly what that would be, but I suggest you look at warmer whites since Chantilly Lace seems cold to you. You may not be able to keep the trim CL if you move to a warmer white, but only sampling will tell. You may not have to go too warm. You're looking for something a little warmer that is compatible with the vanity top and the wall tile. Get chips for all the whites and then move to larger samples after you've found a couple contenders. Maybe BM Cloud White? A white with a touch of gray would go with the CL better. But too much gray will dim the room. If you're not sure after collecting chips, post another picture that shows the chips or (better yet) larger samples next to the existing surfaces for people to comment on.

    michoumonster thanked kandrewspa
  • 2 years ago

    if you are leaving the ciling and trim, I'd choose a vivid color, yellow or orange like your towel choices. It's only paint, have some fun... the kids will be gone too soon, then repaint when your interests/style changes.

    michoumonster thanked Lyn Nielson
  • 2 years ago

    Home Interiors, thank you for the inspo! those color combinations are great! very fun and youthful. I will look for a few SW colors to sample. we might even be able to get away with just using a sample can on our wall (it is a very small space).


    kandrewspa, yes I think you are right in that my issue is the BM chantilly lace lacks warmth. Also, not sure, but we had it color matched at SW, so maybe it is not quite right? I think the brightness of white paint is great for a bath space, but just need something to make it feel more homey. thanks for the suggestions. I will try to sample a few warmer whites to see if that helps.


    Lyn Nielson, that is great advice! yes I agree it is just paint and it is a small wall, so we definitely can go a little more bold and fun.


    i will ask my kids which way they are leaning color-wise. thank you everyone!

  • 2 years ago

    Love the colorful wall idea - the right coral could be fun

    michoumonster thanked la_la Girl
  • 2 years ago

    SW Rainwashed

    michoumonster thanked RedRyder
  • michoumonster thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • 2 years ago

    Windowless bath? Is there roof above? consider a solar tube. We put one in our windowless hall bath and it was wonderful.

    michoumonster thanked bpath
  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    A bold yellow, orange, green or blue would work just great in your room. The small amount of wall space is a perfect contrast to the white trim and tile. Love your toilet paper holder!


    Family Fun · More Info


    madison-historic-master-bathroom-remodel · More Info


    Open Floor Plan Home Remodel- Naperville, IL · More Info


    My work: Shinglestyle beach house · More Info


    michoumonster thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I think that tic tac art on the wall is very fun......!

    You made a black and white bath......

    I doubt a color on the walls changes much, that is easily a towel issue, forever changing.

    I'd take the tic tac further since it is such a limited wall area.

    Peel and stick / Spoonflower

    xoxoxoxo for what it's worth : )

    Bright is a function of electricity.....





    michoumonster thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 years ago

    lalagirl, coral sounds fun.

    redryder, love the blues you posted.

    bpath, unfortunately we are not able to do a solatube in this bath. but glad to hear they are a good option!

    Diana Bier, thanks for all of the colorful inspo pics.

    Jan, wow, wallpaper is a great idea and I love your recs! Do you think wallpaper holds up in a bathroom?


  • 2 years ago

    Would not do peel and stick in a bathroom...prepasted yes…for a small bathroom used right now by kids.. paint is very easy and inexpensive way to have fun.

    michoumonster thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • 2 years ago

    How about a darker color like Iron Ore and then add some artwork with white and color in it. I like the yellow and orange towels so try something that includes those colors if you like them. Don't be afraid to go dark even in a small windowless room. The white will keep the focus.


    michoumonster thanked Emily
  • 2 years ago

    We used SW Antique White in our windowless guest bathroom that connects to the guest bedroom. Both have the same wall color. The bathroom is white & black, as well. The color gives just enough brightness without being an over-the-top yellow.



    michoumonster thanked User
  • 2 years ago

    Home Interiors, yes I agree paint might be less expensive and honestly, we dont want to spend a lot on the kids bath, so maybe i will play around with more art on the one wall. We don't have too much in there at the moment.


    Emily, thanks! i like that idea of a darker wall then bright art. I will def play around with that!


    nhb22, wow, your bath tile is very similar to ours. Thank you for sharing your pics and your color. It is very lovely!

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Honestly...... even with a deep charcoal paint? I think you get a "grown up" version of wow.....hang some really colorful art.. Use a towel color or two from the art. Bath mat same thing.

    I doubt for that little bit of wall the peel and stick wallpaper is a big project or big bucks. You have a couple changes before they are off to college? Assume you have a good fan in there : )

    michoumonster thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 years ago

    I adore Emily's deep charcoal idea. Don't be afraid to do dark in a small room. It will match the vanity hardware and bring out the dark dot in your basketweave tile. The basket weave feels like the odd person out in this otherwise contemporary bathroom. Having a dark charcoal wall will make the basketweave feel more at home and purposeful. It will make your door pop and seem like more of a color as well.



    michoumonster thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I was going to suggest a dark charcoal gray, but you had said you wanted bright. In any case, I painted a small powder room charcoal gray above white beadboard and it looks great--not dark or small at all. Also have a white tile floor with black accents like you do.

    michoumonster thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • michoumonster thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Would recommend picking a paint color closest to the wall tile. Since it is a small bathroom I don't think you really have the opportunity for lots of colors. Painting the walls the same tile color should make the bathroom seem more cohesive and maximize the visual space.

    michoumonster thanked Norwood Architects
  • 2 years ago

    Are your teens girls? When my kids were teens I painted their bathroom a vivid green color. They hated it because it cast a green light on their faces when they were putting on their makeup. I would stick with a white that goes with your tile or a light color that will not affect the overall light in the room.

    michoumonster thanked Melissa
  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Me? I'd go charcoal. : ) on the walls

    Love this: Yellow towels





    Like cats? I've used both on dark walls. Add whatever in towels!





    michoumonster thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Given there are only two walls to paint, I’m not sure how much of an impact it will have overall and it could make the room feel disjointed. I’d just use the same white as the tiles.

    Let each of them choose their favorite color and add towel hooks (which will be appreciated I‘m sure). Ask for their input for a fun poster.




    michoumonster thanked Maureen
  • 2 years ago

    Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful ideas!! I will see which ones my kids like. Thank you!!


  • 2 years ago

    Another vote for deep charcoal paint. That would look so sophisticated with the wood elements of the door and the coolest EVER toilet paper holder 👏🏼👏🏼. Bring in the color with the fun art shown above! Your teens will love how grownup but still fun it becomes.