Software
Houzz Logo Print
rpertu2

Living Room Help

13 years ago
Okay so as much as I would like think I am creative, I'm not!

I am really struggling trying to figure out what to do with the space between the couch and large chair. The space is about 40in by 50in. I am considering end tables on both sides of the couch, but I think it would create a more awkward space since the end tables would only reach a small portion of the side of the large chair.

As far as colors go. I really like neutrals, yellows, and blues for the space. I like light rugs, but I feel like that would be weird with a black coffee table and light carpet. On the other hand, I think it would be too dark if I get a dark rug with other dark furniture.

Should I add anything around the TV or put anything on the TV wall??

Thank you in advance!!! P.S. Nursing student budget!

Comments (37)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would suggest a tripod floor lamp for the corner. This lamp is $60 at Target. It will be height, and light into the space. I'd also suggest a round side table for the other side of the sofa. Your coffee table looks a bit wimpy next to the larger scale sofa. If you like the blues/yellows, how about toss pillows something like these? For a table lamp, a base of color would be stylish as well.
    Tripod Floor Lamp, Silver · More Info

    Latham Yellow Pillow, Set of 2 · More Info

    Hand Printed Linen Pillow - Branch, Blue/Yellow · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think a rug under the coffee table is a good idea. Something with color/pattern for the space would be nice. This style would add pattern and will complement the carpet.
    Safavieh Courtyard CY2961-3103 Blue Area Rug · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Darzy on the lamp. And on the coffee table, far too small for your large sofa and chair.
    Personally, rug on carpet... unless you have an enormous room, I don't see the point.
    So... a floor lamp between the sofa and chair, a larger coffee table and a table at the other end of the sofa with a table lamp on it.
    Also, art above the sofa would be good. And I would go for teal as an accent colour.
    I'll see if I can find you some examples.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with that idea, Darzy. My first thought was to pull the sofa away from the windows more, and
    angle that chair a bit so that it is easier to see the tv. Then I would also suggest a floor lamp in the
    corner and a table on the other end of the sofa. Love that rug, and pillows and a lamp for the table
    could add the color needed.
  • 13 years ago
    Sims collection is all about creating unique spaces with existing materials or economical options. My interest lies in turning the room around with what is already available in the house and recreating a look for less!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    A couple of different ideas:
    Maui Lamp, Floor Lamp · More Info

    Metropol Floor Lamp · More Info


    Stockholm Coffee Table, Walnut Veneer · More Info

    Civic Center Long Coffee Table · More Info


    (pillows from Pier1)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Why not try the chair at the other end of the couch to really open up the window and the entry to the room. LOVE the floor lamp suggestions and the pillows shown here, too. Sooooo many options with the basic you already have. Your carpet looks like it is in good shape, so save rug money.....you'll be buying plenty of books instead! Check craigslist and goodwill places and you might be surprised what you find for a buikier coffee table....you wanna put your feet up to totally relax at the end of the day with that game on!!! They may have lamps, too, BUT I have seen that lamp at Target and it is a great lamp!!!
  • 13 years ago
    If you're near an Ikea, you could have hours of fun shopping there. Good quality for great prices. Especially lighting.... they do have nice lamps for next to nothing...
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, you need accent colors and a cozier feel to the room since the couch, chairs, and TV setup are so large and dark.

    Ditto on that great tripod floor lamp for the corner. How about a large print above the couch in browns, turquoise, and orange? Here's a link to a wonderful art site with great prints: http://www.saatchionline.com/art/Painting-Acrylic-GeoHorizon-92/8619/1731276/view
    Or just put: "brown, orange, turquoise paintings prints" (or your favorite color combination) in the Google Images search engine and see if there's a large piece of art that you really like. Prints and posters don't cost a fortune. Artposters.com has a ton of them, and you can order them framed. Then have pillows, curtains, extra chair in a color from the art.

    Overstock has several upholstered accent chairs in orange, turquoise, or a brown and white cow print that don't take up a lot of space. Place one directly across from the club chair. Check Craigslist for a much longer coffee table. With a facing chair and longer coffee table, you'll have a cozy conversation group. Since you have a lot of brown in there, if you can find a clear coffee table--glass or acrylic--that would lighten the room.

    Since you're on a budget, eventual things to look for on Craigslist would be a console/buffet table where you can place your TV as well as a table lamp and/or bar. If you score a console table instead with no shelf below, add a couple ottomans in accent colors and store them below the table to pull out when company comes. Or get a wall unit of bookcases for that wall to accommodate your TV and books. Ikea has loads of them. Maybe you can find Ikea bookcases on Craigslist. Some curtains in white or an accent color might be something to add eventually. Also a geometric patterned area rug in brown and white, or your accent color in white. Overstock has good ones.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi rpertu, here are a couple of ideas you could use..
    1- Wall mounting the tv would give some space in the room and instead of a chunky console you could opt for a floating shelf available for less in ikea or amazon to keep your gadgets.
    2- mixing textures is also a good option. As you already have lots of brown and wood try glass coffee table which would look less bulky.
    3-A metal stool or table can be used as end table next to your loveseat, and you can have some indoor plant on that to give color in your room.
    4- You can have a tripod lamp for rustic look or a drop down lamp for a more contemporary look.
    5- Having a large mirror behind the couch would also give light and more space into the room.
    6- As you have a carpeted floor, I wouldn't get another rug, but instead have a color pallet of blue and yellow cushions on the couch and loveseat ( available for less at Marshall's or homegoods)

    Hope you liked my ideas and can use some:)
  • 13 years ago
    I agree my coffee table is too small. I plan to fix this issue. It was honestly just a quick cheap fix!

    I thought about moving the chair to the other side, but I thought it would make the entryway and dining room too enclosed.

    My goal is to put a small ottoman bench on the wall where I put the box with shoes. I want to use that area to store and put on my shoes. The closet located right by the entry door is used for cleaning supplies.

    The only reason why I considered a rug was for color, but I guess I can use pillows and wall art for that!
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the chevron print "fun" style. I was even considering purple and yellow/gold color accents since I go to LSU, but would that be a bit too much? Ha!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What about using your dining bench for a coffee table?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ikat Pillow Purple By ginette1223 · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Eyelash Yellow and Teal 20-inch Pillow with Feather-down Insert · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest round lamp tables on both sides of couch, break up all the straight angles of upholstered pieces. And yes pull in some color with pillows and artwork. You can still get a rectangular coffee table, everything does not have to match. :)
  • 13 years ago
    So should I shift the couch and chair further away from the window? What would I do with extra 1-2feet behind the chair between the chair back and window?
  • 13 years ago
    I wouldn't move anything as far as couch and chair go. You are on a budget and the room is already small!
  • 13 years ago
    What about putting the chair in the corner and sliding the couch over?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the angles of the couch and chair, so I still wouldn't move them. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Plus you don't have a lot of space down the wall from your couch and you still want to put something on that short wall for putting shoes on and off. I like your doggie!
  • 13 years ago
    The orientation of your couch and chair are fine. A comfy chair by the window with a nearby lamp will be a cozy spot for you to study. I'd like to vote again for that fabulous tripod lamp.

    You should be able to find a much longer coffee table, clear if possible, via Craigslist.

    Apologies for my previous orange and turquoise accent suggestions for large art work when you mentioned you like yellow, blue, and brown. So just Google those colors + abstract landscape or seascape and see comes up in Google Images. You'll want a big, horizontal print to balance the couch.

    Your idea of a storage ottoman bench for your shoes is great! Pick one out in one of the colors from whatever art or pillows you choose. Overstock has loads of them in all different colors. Here's a link to one in a beautiful sky blue: m/Home-Garden/TRIBECCA-HOME-Swayne-Blue-Storage-Ottoman-with-Mini-Foot-Stool/5947444/product.html?searchidx=2

    You can pull the ottoman in for seating when you have company. See if you can find a long, skinny mirror to go above the ottoman on that wall. Thrift shops and Craigslist always have affordable mirrors. A mirror will reflect whatever art you pick.

    I agree with the other posters, including myself upthread :), that some kind of long, narrow piece--Ikea-type bookcase system or skinny console table across the facing wall would add a lot to your room. Have fun with all this.
  • 13 years ago
    P.S. I'm having trouble downloading images, but here's an interesting print in your favorite colors from Artposters.com
    http://www.artposters.com/showprint.aspx?pid=265207#.UjJAq-ArzzJ
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't suggest going all out yellow and purple but you can have splashes of both colours by adding accent pillows. Mauve (instead of purple) and grey would look nice with your couch.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Replacing your coffee table with a silver and glass one would update your couch and lighten up the space (there's alot of brown).
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thanks for sharing the rest of the room and the chair just cannot move, can it?! BUT maybe still try to ANGLE it just a bit toward the tv to break up the right angles there. THAT will also help get rid of the BOX you are trying to fill where there where the two pieces meet.
  • 13 years ago
    You could find a fun small chair/bench to put to the right of the TV for extra seating. I think your furniture placement is good. Ideally, you could find a nice large square table for the corner and some type of table at the left end of the sofa. Yes, go for small accent colors with pillows and a nicely framed poster that reflects an interest you have or colors you prefer. Best to you!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I definitely suggest adding a rug to define the space and add some colour albeit neutral.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi again, You have a GREAT wall in your DR! Anyone in your family make quilts or anything? You could go that big with something on that wall.
  • 13 years ago
    Again, I say, round lamp tables!!!!! :):):)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A small storage ottoman for your shoes! The woven one would bring in some texture.
  • 13 years ago
    For the "Shoe Wall" I had something like this bench in mind with an entry way storage unit. The reason why I would put it on the shoe wall and not the wall next to entry door is because it is somewhat angled, so it would fit well (I wanted a unit that I could put my phone on hang my purse, nurse bag, coat, etc.)

    I was thinking of a mirror next to the entry door maybe?

    For the dining room wall I was considering doing a wall collage of some short? Maybe a mixture of my initials and fleur de lis?

    Should I get a wider tv unit or just to floating shelves/book cases? Maybe just wall mount the tv?
  • 13 years ago
    Lydia where did you find the curtains with the circles?
  • 13 years ago
    Get rid of that little table an something more artistic can transform your room. I also agree that pillows are needed. Look at these coffee tables. I think the sofas are ok.
  • 13 years ago
    Also a big plant in the corner can enjoy the big window light. Plants make a big statement and are not to expensive.
    Look at this lamp that hangs over a sofa.