Software
Houzz Logo Print
marjies

14 years ago
Hi.. New here. Any suggestions for window / decor color for a small apartment, painted the usual "apartment white" that has to be left painted white (off white)? How do you add color and warmth without overpowering the wall color, and without minimizing the appearance of the space? Thank you for any suggestions, especially with window treatments, area rugs.

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    How about a very neutral wall color that adds warmth without claustrophia, like Ben Moore's Crisp Khaki/234. Bright white trim looks so nice with it. Then add your color in the pieces that you can take with you when or if you move. How about a piece of furniture in a bright color, like red or blue? I see them in home stores, catalogs, etc. Then choose some drapes that either blend with your wall color (but add some nice trim to customize them), or pull some of that bright color through the space. A generous size accent rug really makes it feel like a finished space. Good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi marjies, basically any color will work with white walls, just be sure you add a few accessories in the room with the same color tones to continue the flow for the entire space.

  • 14 years ago
    Thank you all for those replies. That gave me some ideas. I saw some drapes that are in the red family... sort of copperish... with gold designs. I was afraid that color would be too heavy against the white walls. What do you think?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    As long as you add some warm colors to accessorize the room they should balance the more 'hot' red drapes.



  • 14 years ago
    thank you David.. i love those photos! are you an interior designer? I'm new here so please forgive me... thank you for your comments and photos. Espeicallly the red drape photo...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You're welcome marjies, I am a residential designer with an architectural degree, so mostly dealing with spatial and exterior design, but I like interior decorating as well.
  • 14 years ago
    that is awesome David! I knew it was something! :-)
    thank you again. I have yet another dilemma now--we have wood floors, which I love.. similar to the color in the 1st photo you sent me. Our landlord is requiring us to carpet at least 60% of the floors.. in the high traffic areas they said. I do not like runners and throw rugs here and there...have to figure the type of carpet and placement and size... not all excited about this one. The space is only about 24 x 28 and makes up the living room and dining area. I'm still trying to figure out room color, seeing how the walls are that apartment off white. Drapes i like are the red with gold designs. Sofa is chocolate brown faux-leather. I am so bad at this decorating things..and I'm such a fan of DIY and HGTV! :-)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi again marjies, sounds like you have a tough landlord !!!

    Here's another picture closer to what you've described.

    It's best to have 2 large area rugs to define your living and dining area, they could even be the same style to keep things simple, especially if your furniture match.

    You should get other people's input as well, so good luck with your decorating and post pictures to let us know how your place turns out !!!


  • 14 years ago
    Hi! Would you happen to know the shade of white on the walls in the pic with the purple drapes? Thanks!
  • 14 years ago
    Meant to say the pic with the purple drapes and purple rug. The colorbof the wall in that pic. Thanks!