Software
Houzz Logo Print
ed_ollie

Furniture & Kitchen Layout Ideas for a Georgian Revival in NC

last year

Built in 1886, this Georgian Revival style home is two and one-half stories tall. Five bays wide, it has a large enclosed English Boxwood garden. The house contains many interesting decorative details, such as the Chippendale style balustraded high slate hip roof. The house/floor plan was completely rebuilt in 1936; chimneys were moved and the front porch was removed. We love it and will move in later this summer. The Joseph-Howard house, as it is locally known, is part of the Goldsboro Historic District.

The symmetrical layout has amazing natural light in all the large rooms, but presents interesting challenges for layout of the kitchen and living room areas. Phase One will be attacking the first floor (living/dining room, kitchen, office and powder room). We plan to keep all original molding, but update and honor this historic home.

Houzz has been a wealth of knowledge in the past, so I’m eager to hear your thoughts about living room layout and kitchen layout, given the windows and doors that dominate the beautiful spaces. Thank you!

Comments (254)

  • 7 months ago

    Terrib962…we kept the cabinets and refurbished them. We chose not to do a white kitchen this time, with no regrets.

  • 7 months ago

    Please HOUZZ, write up an article on this house.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Ed, all of us who've been following you since you purchased the house know exactly what a great job you have done! You don't need to explain yourself to those who haven't even taken the time to read the discussion to know that your original white kitchen cabinets are now painted that luscious green!

  • 7 months ago

    Yes…love what you are doing inside, you have a great eye! Congrats on the historical designation and on shutters…tough choice, but house looks great either way. Shutters mean a lot of extra upkeep, don’t they?

  • 7 months ago

    Yes, shutters need some occasional TLC (painting, cleaning), but provide protection in times of storms or hurricanes. We love the clean look of them off. We’ll see.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Unlike some Houzzers, I love shutters. The fact that yours are functional/operable would lead me to re-install them. A contrasting color, like black or green, would look beautiful.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    My feelings is if shutters were original to the home then shutters should remain. I will assume these are "real shutters" and not "dummy Shutters" like so many modern homes have based on the age of the home. I think the home definitely has more presense with them on





  • 7 months ago

    The dark green shutters would be beautiful. With a dark green door, too.

  • 7 months ago

    I love shutters too but I watch This Old House on TV One weekend and behind their shutters was a bunch of bats when they took the shutters down I forgot if they were going to paint the house or what they took the shutters down and they spats just flew out

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Oh, that's frightening!

  • 7 months ago

    I shutter just thinking about it!

  • 7 months ago

    You, dear person, are really alert for so early in the morning! Your comment made me laugh out loud...

    Thank you, Ed, for bringing us along on your home's journey! 🏡

  • 7 months ago

    The only negative to shutters is that when the next owner buys it - many decades from now - there will be “shutter shadows” if they decide to remove them. Not your problem. Shutters enhance any stately center hall colonial. Go for it.

  • 7 months ago

    I guess the other thing to consider is… Are these the original shutters as someone has mentioned. If so, it seems a shame to discard them. The next owner might possibly want them.

  • 7 months ago

    These are the original shutters to the house which have been retained in storage.

  • PRO
    7 months ago

    Use the originals and proper hardware too. Wonderful look. The Historical folks might have requirements on this. The designation is nice, but it does come with certain requirements and approvals. Dark color would be beautiful and fit the era.

  • 7 months ago

    I also love the look of shutters, they serve a function as well, they are the original! What a treasure that is. Regardless of your personal preferences I hope you will preserve them, for the future. They would be a lovely historical enhancement.

  • 7 months ago

    Flo is right. You have an historic designation, which comes with rules. Using the original shutters will probably get a resounding “yes”.

  • 7 days ago

    Getting ready for fall!

  • PRO
    7 days ago

    Looking gorgeous!!

  • 7 days ago

    Artwork/walls coming next. Antique rugs left in the house have just been returned from cleaning…prepping likely for sale.

  • 7 days ago

    I may need one for my office, but turned out amazing.

  • PRO
    7 days ago

    Those are timeless and wow. What a blessing. I would hang onto those.

  • 6 days ago

    Love the rugs! And the dining room curtains make the room cheerful. It is coming together nicely. Thanks for keeping us in the loop with photos.

  • 6 days ago

    Thanks for both the encouragement and recommendations.

  • PRO
    6 days ago

    They are all just beautiful, but I personally am fond of #3 and #4. I'd use either of them in the dining room!

  • 6 days ago

    Well if you are selling and it is big enough, I need #2.

  • 6 days ago

    #1: 13.11 x 23.11

  • 6 days ago

    #2: 13.9 x 10.2

  • 6 days ago

    #3: 10.0 x 11.10

  • 6 days ago

    #4: 12.5 x 9.6

  • 6 days ago

    FissFiss: You can message me for details. Thx

  • 5 days ago

    Hi Ed, I can see my inbox, but being a Luddite, cannot figure out how to send you a message!

  • 5 days ago

    Stunning rugs…🥰

  • PRO
    5 days ago

    I suggest you get appraisals first then sell if you must. 😢

  • 5 days ago

    Already done…great recommendation Flo👊🏾

  • 5 days ago

    @ed ollie just read through all the comments quickly and wish I had seen this post sooner. What an amazing job you have done to preserve, maintain, and update this treasure. If only everyone viewed home ownership as a responsibility like you do. I also appreciate your use of color in the rooms instead of everything being some version of cream.

  • 4 days ago

    Does this mean you are looking to get different rugs for the house?

  • 3 days ago

    Yes. We already have some, but the dining room foyer/landing and guest bedroom remain.

  • 3 days ago

    Thank you @kl23

  • 3 days ago

    A little mulching and weeding at dusk.

  • 2 days ago

    I have had good luck with getting rugs on Etsy. Many are made-to-order so you can get specific colors you want. I can send you some names of good rug websites as well. In my opinion, a gorgeous rug can make a room look 100% better.

  • 2 days ago

    Sure, I’d love to see your ideas! The options are endless.

  • yesterday

    On Etsy, see if Craftsmanrugs is still posting. My master bedroom rug is from them. Also Luxeflooring,and Boho Rugs boutique.
    Every one of them came in a reasonable amount of time and are well made.
    My dining room rug is from Oriental Rug of Houston.

    This is the master bedroom. It’s way lighter in person.

  • yesterday

    This is from Oriental Rugs of Houston.

  • PRO
    yesterday

    Beautiful RedRyder. Rugs are so hard because big ones are very heavy. Colors on line are not trustworthy. So it’s hard. I would search local resources first to at least narrow the field somewhat. Get ideas on colors. Then go from there.

  • yesterday

    I bought my LR rug from etsy. I ordered a sample to see all the yarn colors first and you could custom the designs with your own color choices (I did not do that option).

  • yesterday

    Love statement rugs…those are stunning, RedRyder!

  • yesterday

    @liasch - The colors are much more muted than the photos. I don’t know why they photograph that way but the bedroom one is closer to pale blue and the dining room is a softer turquoise. It took a while to find what I wanted.

    Rug shopping is more marathon than sprint….

  • yesterday

    Your rugs are so pretty RedRyder!😍