Software
Houzz Logo Print
saller

help me decide if I should stain the handrail dark like the front door

last year

Or if I should leave natural like the new wood flooring going in.

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    last year

    What are the balusters?

  • last year

    I have the same question as Beverly + do you have more photos of the house?

  • PRO
    last year

    I'd paint railing and newel satin black paint the risers white, the ballusters white. Put a great runner on the stair, and match,........ nothing!



  • last year

    I think the trim out should be same same so match the door.

  • last year

    Can you stain the railing and posts to match the door? Then we’d need to know more information about your wall and base colors as then the railings could match the floor or be white or ??? More info needed

  • last year

    Do you mind sharing what your floors are? :)

  • last year

    Beverly, the balasters are white wood. Traditional.

  • last year

    La-la girl the floors are white oak rift and quarter sawn. Not finish yet but leaning towards leaving them natural.

  • last year

    Walls not painted yet but will be White Dove old formula. The new formula has more of a creamy yellow look which is similar to what we have now, but wanting to go more white. The baseboards will be White Dove old formula satin.

  • last year

    I’ll try to get mor pictures. Gotta run.

  • PRO
    last year

    I agree with Jan...



  • last year

    We are doing a whole house white oak rift and quarter sawn floor, kitchen, walk in pantry, laundry, storage and half bath. Also taking our small bedroom next to the master and making that a walk in closet/yoga room. Unfortunately the stairwell changes are out of our budget. I am just looking to get rid of the eighties golden oak color.

  • last year

    Here are more pics to show the stairwell and great room.

  • last year

    Kitchen and master

  • last year

    I agree with Jan, but instead of black I would match the color to the door.

  • PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

    This is a stair to the lower level. The curly cute colonial suits nothing you are doing everywhere else.

    You don't even need a view of the descending stair!

    I'd be busy with drywall and trim. I'd stop obsessing on a stain for a something that is out of sync with all else you are doing.

    What was here below ? Just like yours, just more orange than yours : ) and a lot more builder eighties than JUST the color of the wood stain.


    It suited nothing we did in the house, formerly 100% 1980 and a huge view of lake .

    LAKE HOME · More Info


    LAKE HOME · More Info



    lake home · More Info



    Interior Design Work · More Info


    Lake home · More Info


    LAKEHOME · More Info


    lake home · More Info


    LAKE HOME · More Info


  • last year

    Thanks Jan, I understand your viewpoint, but I really can’t see a closed in stairwell in our great room. It would remind me of a pony wall. I think it works fine in your case. Your style is much more modern than mine. I have quite a few traditional pieces that I will be using. It’s just going to be a thing for now. I think it bothers you more than me. Lol

  • PRO
    last year

    Showing the staircase with black handrail and newels with white balusters


    .

  • last year

    Lisedv Thank you for the visual. I think that could work.

  • PRO
    last year

    ^^


    As we said four days ago.......paint it black : )

    It's the "Non color" that works with everything.





  • last year

    " the balusters are white wood. Traditional. "


    What is "white wood"? Typically when I was in the lumber business, white wood was poplar, or similar. That will make a difference as generic white wood can be almost anything and may not stain well as white wood was typically always considered paint grade

  • PRO
    last year

    ^^

    He meant he had and orange toned oak banister and white PAINTED wood spindles

    The usual colonial builder thing: )

  • PRO
    last year

    Will chime in and in this case will vote for matching the front door. Will definitely NOT recommend white balusters (spindles)!

  • PRO
    last year

    Yes, back to the one of the 1st suggestions, just illustrated usin the OP's rooms.

  • last year

    Norwood Architects. So you would go all dark like the mahogany door?

  • last year

    Deciding on stain this morning.

  • last year

    AGAIN, what is "white wood"? Staining it will not match oak at all.

  • PRO
    last year

    You are NOT listening @ millworkman: )

    The stair was "cute white paint" with a stained railing and newel post.

    He was simply informing they were not.... iron


  • last year

    The left side is showing up a bit chalky here. I can’t get a good pic

  • last year

    Millworkman I should have said white painted wood. See pictures of staircase above.