Software
Houzz Logo Print
hammerschmidt413

Finalizing exterior selections

10 months ago

We are finalizing our exterior selections and would love any feedback on our options!!




Comments (16)

  • 10 months ago

    Have your architect make you some colored renderings of all sides of the house with your actual exterior selections. My architect sent the files out to a company that specialized in colored renderings and charged us around $700. Worth the price.


    Why painted brick? I think painted smooth stucco would be better with stone.


    I hope you love what you are choosing, because it won't be that easy to "update" or change up the house a few years down the road. The Fossil window color will be quite limiting for any exterior color changes down the road.

    D H thanked chispa
  • PRO
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    What about the rest of the exterior?

    Do not paint brick.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    The style of your house lends itself to ONE material on all elevations.

    I dropped the gable ridge down, and removed the over garage dormer. If you really need the space and light there, suggest a proper gable roofed dormer(s) that work with the architecture.

    I'd try to eliminate the front facing garage dormer, and simplify the windows. As is the house seems somewhat lopsided.



    D H thanked PPF.
  • 10 months ago

    Chispa - I will ask about colored renderings, very good idea. The community we are building in has a very stringent architectural design board that does not typically approve stucco. I liked the idea of a smooth stucco-and-stone pairing. I appreciate the comments!


    PPF - Thanks for your feedback. We plan to have a small reading room off our bonus room over the garage with a window there. How would you recommend simplifying the windows? One of our asks was lots of light.

  • 10 months ago

    Gutters aren't a design element. While the gutters will fade into the roof, make sure your downspouts match the siding colors, as much as possible.

    D H thanked Sigrid
  • 10 months ago

    Yes, you definitely don't want dark brown downspout "stripes" on your light colored exterior walls.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Chinese menu options where you pick 1 of everything is just too much materials. Eliminate, simplify, and unify.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Too many materials and colors overall.

  • 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    Go with two, roof and siding, match the window trim with the roof color.



    Do not add anything else. The house, already, has way too much going on.

    Ask your architect if he/she (1837-1901?) has come back to the future, but this is now, living in the 21st century. Mistakes happen, although at a price.

    Follow the exterior design, for interior.

    https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/victorian-living-room-ideas-and-designs-phbr1-bp~t_10272~s_30445

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Never make exterior design decisions based upon one elevation. Put as much design effort into the sides and rear of your home as you do the front. It is a home, not a Hollywood set.

    D H thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    10 months ago

    I often wonder about the design aesthetic of these HOAs. Your HOA doesn't allow stucco, but it does allow both stone and brick siding, different colors (one lighter than the other) on the homes? For that reason alone, I would never buy or build a home in a community with an HOA.

  • 10 months ago

    Can you share what the HOA restrictions and requirements are? Some of the comments are irrelevant if parts of this are out of your control. Other than them unlikely to go for stuff what other parameters are there? I assume you now own the lot and are invested in the build so unlikely to abandon the plans after all.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Ask yourself, "Does this front elevation make my rear elevation look bad?"

  • 9 months ago

    I appreciate all the feedback. we have scaled back on the stone to only the center portion where the front door is. My husband and i asked for the additional stone on the rendering i posted.

  • PRO
    9 months ago

    What about the rest of the Hollywood set?