Software
Houzz Logo Print
jackson1533

Exterior color palette help with Dutch colonial remodel

8 months ago

My wife and I are remodeling our cape into a Dutch colonial style (plan below). We need exterior advice! Here is the architectural plan:




Here is one idea of palette we have:



We are debating overall palette, whether or not to have shutters, and white vs. dark bronze window trim. Would love any input or ideas!

Comments (35)

  • 8 months ago

    When we were painting our 1920 house - I found this book super helpful


    House Colors: Exterior Color by Style of Architecture by Susan Hershman


    Doug thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    8 months ago



    Doug thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    Moved the dividing trim between the lap siding and shingles down.


    Doug thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    I love that style of home, and if I were using a different siding in that gable, I'd paint it the same white as the clapboard. I'd also use wider shutters on the double hung windows--they look too skimpy as is. A classic Dutch colonial look would use a green roof and green shutters, so you might consider that too.



    Doug thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

    With that style house using white window will give you much more flexibility for changing exterior colors down the road.

    I used brown/bronze windows, but my FL house is "Spanish" inspired, stucco, with barrel roof tile and the house will always look best in a range of off-white to beige colors.

    Don't limit your color palette for your traditional house style.

    Doug thanked chispa
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    Oh yes, what chispa said! Windows in any other color but white is going to look awful on a Dutch Colonial.

    Doug thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    Here are examples of Dutch Colonials for reference.







    Doug thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    Not a shutter to be seen so none on yours either . I kind of like the wood in the gable but I think it needs more on the entry to balance it so the pediment and the posts in the same wood . I would love to see that whole entry be made larger some day. maybe even a porch all across

  • PRO
    8 months ago

    Dutch Colonials VERY frequently have shutters! Where I live there are lots of Colonial Revival homes, and many are Dutch Colonials. Whether you install them is a personal preference, not a hard and fast design rule. Some folks here on Houzz don't like traditional design or shutters, so take their advice with a grain of salt.


    Oops, one shutter needs to be re-attached!








    Doug thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

    These are all such helpful responses, thank you! I do think we are leaning towards shutters but agree they should be the wider ones and NOT the plastic narrow/fake ones (that adorn our current house, lol).

    To @Patricia Colwell Consulting, I do think one day we'd love to add a porch. Unfortunately I think out of our budget for this go-round.

    To @chispa, thank you for the recommendation on sticking to white windows. I think that makes sense, and also eliminates some extra complication (and budget increases).

    To @PPF., it took me a few glances but I think I like your proposed rendering with the dividing trim lower than our current plan. Will request that change.

    My wife sent me this rendering today — not sure I'm sold on the gray shingles but think I do like the overall look.



  • 8 months ago



  • 8 months ago

    More Dutch Colonial color combinations.

    Doug thanked RedRyder
  • 8 months ago

    My friend has a 1924 Dutch Colonial in traditional soft white. Her shutters are deep (almost black) forest green. Her front door is black and her roof is dark gray. It’s lovely.
    This is similar to her house without the side addition.

    Doug thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    8 months ago

    I think a deeper color for the siding with bright white for the trim AND shutters if you decide to install them.


    Doug thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 8 months ago

    BM Nantucket Gray with a soft white trim works well for this style of house. The Nantucket Gray looks more khaki when used outside.

    Doug thanked chispa
  • 8 months ago

    I like your wife's rendering, but would nix the window box. They look great in pictures, but are hard to keep looking nice in practice. Use foundation shrubs, instead. And don't put asphalt in front of the house. If you need more parking, cars parked at an angle fit more cars.


    If you really want the extra parking space, put in pavers grass can grow through.


    Permeable Parking Pad · More Info


    Doug thanked Sigrid
  • 8 months ago

    Consider a Dutch Door for your side door, if you have one!

  • PRO
    8 months ago

    You may have to use Dutch Boy Paint?

  • 8 months ago

    Can you show a rendering of the porch with a flat roof? Or a hip roof? Can you show a rendering in Nantucket Gray as suggested?

  • 8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

    The back roofline got messed up but here'a an attempt at a Nantucket Gray rendering with a hip roof for the portico. I like the idea of a Dutch door for the side door!

    On parking, my wife is insistent we widen our driveway since right now it's long/narrow and we constantly play parking tetris (particularly annoying when guests come over). I do like the idea of pavers for the front but out of budget for now at least.



  • 5 months ago



    Framing is almost done so we are getting close to finalizing all this! This is a rendering of what we are thinking. Details:

    • Roof: Owens Corning Duration Driftwood
    • Siding: Hardie Plank Arctic White (smooth finish)
    • Shutters: dark green/almost black
    • Door: dark wood (probably fiberglass vs. real wood for durability)
    • Shingles: NuCedar Wool Skein (but struggling on color here, also considered natural shingle)

    Would love any last thoughts if you have any before we pull the trigger!

  • 5 months ago

    Nice! I don’t have a photo but my sister’s Dutch colonial is white (BM Swiss Coffee) with green shutters (BM Tarrytown Green). Looks great!

    Doug thanked chloebud
  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Your tan siding shingles are a nice soft color so I would look at soft green shutters to go with them like BM Cedar Path. We plan on using it and the painted sample looks great outdoors.



    Just to show the color for shutters. NOT to suggest green trim.


  • PRO
    5 months ago

    White shingles/clapboard, green shutters and a green roof is a classic look for a Dutch colonial.


  • 5 months ago

    The OP asked for last thoughts but I guess they just wanted confirmation.

    Doug thanked tracefloyd
  • 4 months ago

    Thanks everyone! I really like the suggestions on greens and we are going to incorporate into the shutters. Siding will be Hardie Cobble Stone (so more of a cream/beige) rather than Arctic White. Here's a current look at the outside since the main framing is done.




  • 4 months ago

    It will be gorgeous, whether it’s creamy beige or white.

    Doug thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    4 months ago

    I just love your home!!! It's a classic and a breath of fresh air after seeing all the hobbled together modern farmhouses with ugly black windows that people are building these days.

    Doug thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Doug thanked Design Fan (NE z7a)
  • 4 months ago

    She did! Our wires got crossed

  • 4 months ago

    Thank you @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC! We were desperate to not do the white and black monochromatic "modern farmhouse" look that is seemingly multiplying all over the place.

  • PRO
    4 months ago

    And I predict will not stand the test of time!

  • 4 months ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC - Except on real farmhouses….

  • PRO
    4 months ago

    Haha yes!!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert