Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abyczkowski

Help with quality sofa

Anne Byczkowski
10 years ago
I found this Jonathan Louis sofa that I really like, it's comfortable enough for my boyfriend and in our price range. Does anyone have experience with the quality of Jonathan Louis sofas? I don't want to throw away money on something that won't last but we have to stay under $1,000. Preferably something we can go see in person. Please let me know if you think this is a good buy.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    I am currently paying in the neighborhood of $1100 to $1300 each for comfortable chairs that are a "nice" quality. That price reflects a 40% discount off list (suggested retail price). I've heard of Johnathan Louis, but I've not specified them for my projects. I would suggest you may want to look for your piece within the parameters of "consigned" furniture. The older pieces are well built and the recovering of them would not be more than the average cost of a sofa "ensemble" today, in a variety of qualities. If you can only afford $1000 today, then I also would recommend you might want to save another $1,000 before you make your purchase. If you don't require your upholstery to live much beyond 7 years, then by all means, buy what you like and know your investment is costing you only $147.00 per year.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Oh,my! I think you are doing just fine with that price in mind for a good sofa! We have paid less than that and have been very happy for a long time, too. Do not feel like you are compromising, either. I am sorry that I cannot help you more with the brand or another suggestion for your area.
  • Debp
    10 years ago
    If you like it, it's comfortable and it fits in your budget, then by all means buy it. There is lots of time for you to buy more expensive furniture. Sometimes your style changes and its nice to be able to purchase something new and not feel guilty about wanting to replace an expensive piece of furniture.
  • Anne Byczkowski
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all of your help! I know that I'm getting mid-range furniture at best for the price, but unfortunately that's the most we can spend at this point and have a lot of other things we need to get for our place.
    The frame is solid wood--hardwood and pine. It does not have the 8 way hand tied springs and says the cushions are made of high resiliency foam. I'm not looking for this to last 10 years, but am more concerned about it still looking and feeling good after a couple years.
  • Anne Byczkowski
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just a thought on this...the full price of this sectional is $1100, so would that put it in a better category of quality?
  • kenttaylor
    6 years ago

I purchased 2 Jonathan Louis sofas from Macy’s. I really liked the style, I loved the color, and I thought they were great. They were just under $1000, each. Not exorbitant, but not cheap either.

They were delivered a few weeks later, and looked awesome. The after a couple weeks the buttons started popping off of the cushions. The heads were separating from the bases. Discouraging to say the least. We kept trying to put them back, but it got worse and worse. To the point we could not even sit on them without one popping off.

I called Macy’s to speak with the woman who sold them to us, and she looked it up and said they had been having many complaints about the same thing from other customers, she ordered new cushions “from different manufacturing location” and she assured me it would be better. New cushions came, and after a few weeks the same exact story. Buttons popping off. So we tried to resolve it ourselves by twisting them on, over and over, even trying super glue! Nothing worked.

I called Macy’s again, and she informed me unfortunately as I was a couple months over one year, they no longer could help but I should call Jonathan Louis Intl. directly. Which I did! I spoke with Cythia Valdes in customer service, and told her the experience I had had with the buttons. She explained to me that was a “fabric issue” which they did not cover after one year. (Conveniently for them, of course) They do have a 4 year warranty for manufacturing, but I was told that the buttons falling apart for the ENTIRE life of the couches was definitely not a manufacturing issue. It was fabric. Not satisfied with that answer she then passed me along to her supervisor Brandee Reyes who basically said the same. I asked several time to explain how this was a fabric issue, and not a manufacturing issue and she, of course, had no plausible explanation. She ignored me asking every time, because as we all are aware and any person with an IQ higher than a Triscuit Cracker has the common sense to know that this is ABSOLUTELY a manufacturing & quality control problem. One that Jonathan Louis refused to stand behind. So now my $1000 sofas look like $99 Discount Store POS sofas, after a couple months.

I guess the next time I am heading to JoyBird.com At least they stand behind their products!

• Anne Byczkowski
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your furniture. I ended up purchasing this sectional and did not experience the same problems. It stood up well to daily use including a 60 lb dog and was passed on to a friend when I moved and is still going strong.
  • jharrell64
    6 years ago

hmmm. I put off buying a sofa from JoyBird and instead purchased Jonathan Louis sofa and save about $1000. I'm feeling a little insecure right now and thinking about canceling the sale because it hasn't been delivered.

• mimi2300us
    6 years ago
    For the ones that bought a (Jonathon Louis) sofa from Macy’s. Do you remember the name of the specific sofa that you purchased? I’m looking at several and was wondering which ones you would recommend or which ones to avoid. Thanks!
  • rhonred66
    6 years ago
    I purchased a Jonathon Louis sectional from Kittle’s. I loved the look after seeming it in a million dollar home at Home a Rama but the quality is terrible. The fabric pilled And the cushions look terrible. The sectional is less than a year old. At 6 months, I contacted Kittle’s and they sent a technician to shave the fabric. There was no warranty on the product. I am now buying a complete new family room
  • feelingblessed1s
    6 years ago

Might I suggest to anyone looking for honest feedback, Google the manufacturer name and the words “problems,” or “complaints.” You might be surprised by the feedback. I wish we had done that prior to purchasing our JL sectional.

• aklambert67
    5 years ago

I purchased a large Jonathan Louis sectional 3 years ago and I love it. Cushions still have their shape, no indents or loss of firmness and it's used daily and gets a lot of wear. It cleans easily as well, I just use water mixed with fabric cleaner and use a cloth to spot treat when needed. Also vacuum it daily. I have 2 cats and a dog and it's held up really well. Still looks like it did when I purchased it. I like that I can flip and rotate cushions to keep the wear even. For me, it was well worth the 2k I paid for it and am very happy with it.

• Justine Simpson
    5 years ago

May I point out that if you google "problems" "complaints" that is all you are going to get. You will not even see the positive reviews like the one immediately following the suggestion to google complaints. As a Designer who has worked in high quality furniture stores, I can tell you that while the quality of Jonathan Louis is not exactly "Family Friendly" as far as the ware & tear of children and dogs jumping around on it, the price point is very "Family Friendly". Jonathan Louis offers a variety of very stylish pieces and is built well "for the price point." You get out of it what you put into it. Take care of it. Dust, vacuum. rotate the cushions and fluff the pillows. If the sofa is being flopped on, on a daily basis, it is going to show the stress of that. As with anything, you need to weigh your priorities between price point and quality. Jonathan Louis is definitely and happy medium between the two.

• jillfaherty31
    5 years ago

i bought my jonathan Louis ”custom” sofas and they’re falling apart within 2 weeks...they’re junk. Pretty to look at but cant be used....just look, don’t touch!

• neitz
    2 years ago

Any chance you could weigh in several years later and tell us what you decided? Did you buy the Jonathan Lewis and how did it hold up?

• Thelma Gros
    last year

I have a Jonathan Louis sectional I bought 5 years ago (the Leonardo? I think?) and it’s still my favorite couch ever. The cushions are well made, reversible and removable, the fabric is lovely and soft, and it’s large enough for 3 teens to sleep on it comfortably (and they often do)! No issues with stains at all. I’m considering a jonathan Louis Radley sofa from Macys based on some great reviews from neighbors. Hope to have the same experience!