Software
Houzz Logo Print
mikischmal

Bathroom tile dilemma

6 months ago

Remodeling guest bath. vanity is black with White marble top, white sink and champagne gold faucets/all metal items. walls are an off white of some sort, the shower wall tile, already purchased, will be 10”x2” white stacked vertically and white toilet. tile #1 is floor tile, already layed. #2 tile considering for the shower wall insets.

does #2 work with overall look even tho its different from floor tile?

thank you for input.


Tile #1 floor tile


tile #2


Comments (21)

  • 6 months ago

    No, the two don't work well together. Use a plain tile instead.

    Miki Schmal thanked apple_pie_order
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    I agree with apple_pie_order. That's a flooring tile, and IMO it would only work in a shower niche if you also had it on your floor. Does your white shower wall tile come in smaller sizes? That might work nicely for your niches.

    Miki Schmal thanked amystoller
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    I think that the black and white basketweave mosaic tile is a more classic looking tile - I don't think it works well with the more contemporary black and white floor tile OR being used in a shower niche where the shower walls are a 2x10 tile installed in a vertical stacked pattern which creates a more contemporary/modern looking shower.

    You also need to think about the size of the mosaic that will be used on the back of the niche so that the size of the niche is large enough to not result in odd cuts on the back wall.

    Will the shower niche be sized to work with the tile on the walls = the top/bottom/sides of the niche line up with grout lines on the wall tile? It much nicer when the niche size is planned for the tile size used on the walls.

    In the last two bathroom renovations that I've had completed at my home, I ran the wall tile through the niches instead of adding a different mosaic tile on the back. It makes the niche blend in better with the walls + shampoo/conditioner bottles will block most of the mosaic tile on the back wall anyway = why spend extra $ for mosaic tile?

    Examples:

    Notice how the top/sides/bottom of the two niches are perfectly lined up with the grout lines on the wall tile + the herringbone mosaic tile inside the niche is perfectly lined up in the center with the grout line that runs between the two tiles that run above/between/below the two niches:



    In the photo below, the top and bottom of each of the three niches are lined up with the grout lines (the sides couldn't be lined up since the tile was set in a running bond pattern with 1/3 offset for LFT tiles).



    I prefer niches that are made like the one below vs. the separate niches in the examples above - notice that the top/bottom of the niche line up with the grout lines + the shelves that have been added also line up with the grout lines.



    A pro does this by either a lot of planning prior to starting the project OR by making an oversized frame for the niche -

    In this photo below, the tile pro has marked where the framing is behind the waterproof wall boards - when the tile is installed up to once course below where the niche will be located, the tile pro will cut out the opening for the niche so that it lines up with the tile correctly (he/she can add some extra wall board along the top/bottom/sides if needed in order to end up with the exact size niche needed to match grout lines.



    Notice the difference when a niche hasn't been custom sized for the field tile installed on the walls:

    The niche below could have easily been designed to have full tiles along the top/bottom/sides instead of all the cuts that were made.



    This example below has several other issues re: how the niche has been tiled - I just added it for you to see how it looks less professional when the grout lines don't match (the bottom matches - but the sides and top don't = the side tiles barely had to be cut + it would look much nicer if there weren't all those little pieces along the top of the niche.



    Miki Schmal thanked dani_m08
  • 6 months ago

    No, the basket weave tile does not look good with the floor tile. The floor tilenis very bossy, plus you have other pronounced black and white elements in the room. A plain white niche tile similar to the shower wall tile will look more sophisticated.

    Miki Schmal thanked Kendrah
  • 6 months ago

    Your post is very helpful Beth. What works well about 6 tiles in Beth's bathroom is the large expanse of the room, very minimal grout lines, having the warm wood ceiling breaking up the chunks of black and white, and the layers of textures - from plants, greenery, to a fluffy chair. In a smaller space, with all black and white hard surfaces, I think your result will be quite different.


    I'm not against mixing and matching patterns. But it has to be done really skillfully. The graphic black and white chevron Beth used in her nice would look much better than the intricate basket weave. The black herringbone with white groutlines that she suggested also looks good. These along with your floor and white stacked tiles will be very playful. Nothing about the basketweave you chose feels very playful.





    Miki Schmal thanked Kendrah
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    ^^^^ @Beth H. : I also believe that a bathroom doesn't have to be limited to three types of tile (or to only two as has been repeated on many posts) in order to look aesthetically pleasing (or to have a harmonious design). You were the one who told me that you thought that I could install an accent tile (that I loved) on the wall behind my vanity - even though I would have more than three different tiles in my bathroom.

    Your bathroom doesn't look busy/cluttered at all. Your bathroom feels thoughtfully designed and has as a cohesive, upscale look. However, not many people have your talented eye! It's similar to having the talent to mix different patterns/stripes in the same room - and not having it turn into chaos!

    I think that the mosaic tile that OP selected for the niche looks more traditional in style vs. a vertical stacked wall tile - and feel like it doesn't work well with the floor tile. I think that there are better options to use for the niche - as Beth demonstrated by the mosaics posted in her comment.

    Miki Schmal thanked dani_m08
  • 6 months ago

    Just my opinion, but I've never understood highlighting a shower niche. It might work best in a guest bath as there are likely not a bunch of products in the niche all the time, but why highlight shampoo bottles? But since it's not my house, lol, if you want to do a contrasting niche, here's one that has some of the same elements you're working with.

    Perhaps your niche in the small hex tile that's on the main floor of this bathroom.


    Black and White Master Bathroom · More Info


    Here's the hex tile in a niche.


    Vintage Black and White Bathroom · More Info


    Here's a nice penny tile, white with black grout. I love penny tile but black with white grout might look to heavy in your shower unless you are going with a darker grout on the shower wall with the white vertical tile. If the tile is white with a white/light grout, I'd go with the white tile and black grout as shown here.


    Master Bathroom Remodel (Kekic) · More Info


    Be sure to share the final product with us when you're done.

    Miki Schmal thanked tozmo1
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    For what it's worth, while I still think a plain white tile (either your shower wall tile or a smaller version of it if available) would be easiest to make "fit," I also like all the other alternatives presented so far. I like plain white best because your floor tile is such a star. But plain black would pick up on the black in the floor tile nicely. You have a lot of nice options; the basketweave (a classic pattern on its own merits) just isn't in the same league as anything folks here have suggested.


    For context: I have basketweave tile (with lower contrast) in the niche of my primary bath. The same tile is used on my bathroom floor, including the shower floor. So it's not that I don't like basketweave. I just think you can do better in the lovely shower you have planned, which is very different from mine. (Not that I don't think mine is lovely! It's just a whole 'nother look.)

    Miki Schmal thanked amystoller
  • PRO
    6 months ago

    Too much going on. Choose a simple white tile for the walls

    Miki Schmal thanked CAGE Design Build
  • PRO
    6 months ago

    If you want contrast I think using a small white penny round or herringbone on the back of the niche and framing it with black pencil would look nicer





    more contrast you could do black





    I think the basketweave will be busy and is it the same white? In your photos it doesht look as pure white as your floor tile is.




    Miki Schmal thanked Design Interior South
  • PRO
    6 months ago

    Oops the back didnt post





    Miki Schmal thanked Design Interior South
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Design Interior,

    could you do this one


    but use the gold Schluter jolly as the edging around the niche?

    OR, try the white grout instead of the black grout.


    and I did find one w/the basket weave, but it's the black marble set on the bias


    **(odd place for the drain. I'm assuming this floor slants backward toward this corner???)

    Here;s the Nero Marquina basket weave (and the tiler did a fab job placing this niche perfectly.


    Except, I would have placed a shelf 1/4 or 2/3rds to give extra space for small items. no one has 3' tall shampoo bottles!)




    Miki, this is the cheaper version made w/ porcelain or ceramic.


    Design interior, make sure to inset the small shelf too. If you can


    I like how they did the inside surround in the marble

    another option is to use the same floor tile in the niche.


    Solid tiles on the sides/top/bottom w/no grout lines, on the inside of the niche .

    Miki, the penny round is equally nice. just make SURE you properly position it and measure it so you get the full tiles all around the niche, with no sliver cuts.


    this one was perfectly measured

    examples of poorly done niches w/sliver cut tiles






    Miki Schmal thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Nope...continue on with the 10”x2” white stacked vertically. You can do better than an "off white of some sort", for the walls.




    Miki Schmal thanked oncape
  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    The drain postition really isnt instrumental in showing what the shampoo niche looks like! These are renderngs , nothing more.

    Here is Beths request.



    My choice still remains white with black pencil frame. No contrasting grout.

    Miki Schmal thanked Design Interior South
  • 6 months ago

    I think the patterns compete to much. I would use the same white as the walls so you don't see the niche, black so it contrasts and matches other elements in the room, OR do the design with the floor tiles in the middle of Beth H's post (the flower thing). I think that is gorgeous!

    Miki Schmal thanked hollywaterfall
  • 6 months ago

    What do you have on your shower floor, rangerm? Marshmallow Peeps?

    Miki Schmal thanked amystoller
  • 6 months ago

    Hopefully you have funds to hire a house cleaner to clean all that tile and glass shower door. . .

    Miki Schmal thanked terrib962
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    I DO have a housekeeper but this is one of our guest baths; not a great deal of use. Also, the glass shower door is only one panel, not a large amount of glass to squeegee and clean.

  • 6 months ago

    Keeping the tile and glass clean is super easy. I have this shower shelf with glass/tile wiper in my shower. Use it every time I take a shower, top to bottom. Takes about one minute, tile and door look brand new after 3 years. https://www.keuco.com/en_sa/katalog/products/14659370000-config/#14659370000

  • 6 months ago

    I keep a small squeegee in my shower niche—the one with the basketweave tile!

  • 6 months ago

    This will be a lovely bathroom. You could repeat an aspect of the black and white marble top as the shower niche shelf and then tile the back wall in white herringbone tile for interest. The marble shelf would look best if it were mostly white (in my opinion) and keep the tile in the niche white or you could choose a tone from the marble shelf in glass or textured if you like. So many tile options!