Software
Houzz Logo Print
magnumpl

Tiled bathroom design

6 months ago

Hi. im remodeling my old bathroom and its ready to be tiled, however I cant decide on the design. Which optipn would you choose? Also, what tile size should I get?

Comments (6)

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    this is it? these are the only choices?

    the wood-look tile is over, so no to all of that

    This one did the wood look floor w/simple subway tile surround and a white quartz countertop


    Never mix real wood and fake wood next to each other.

    why are you choosing a butcher block countertop in the bathroom?


    One of the few bathroom w/a wood top that actually looks good. black tile floor and backsplash is the key here. Not marble

    (the wood and the marble just don't work together. if you want the wood countertop, do more of an earthy style tile)

    Something like this


    Or this


    are those marble tiles you've chosen real marble or porcelain? I would advise against using real marble in an everyday shower.

    Same bathroom layout showing a diff shower tile and floor tile

    this is a bit more contemporary w/the gray plank floor tile and a wood vanity/white top


    same bathroom layout like you have, diff style. No tub. makes the room appear larger


    same layout, diff style


    and this one. (Try Cloe tiles like this shower. behind the vanity, do plank molding)


    Is that the vanity you're using?

    If you really like the wood look tile, how about copying this design w/the wood vanity and a black quartz top?


    In the shower you could do a black shower floor and this white subway tile in a stacked patter


  • 6 months ago

    This is a kids/guest bathroom so I decided to put a tub.


    I will build a custom vanity. I have butcher block in my master bathroom for 10 years now and it's been holding great (I only treated if polycrylic twice), and its very easy to customize or replace if it wears.


    I will use porcelain tiles.


    I have brushed gold/bronze valves purchased alredy so need something that matches it.


    Lots of showrooms in my area actually combine marble and wood together. Is it outdated?


    The bathroom is small being just 8'x5' so Id want to stick with light colors.

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    if using real wood countertop, do not use faux-wood like tiles. they clash.

    instead of a poly, use Waterlox for the wood countertop. (or some type of of actual Marine varnish. Poly will crack, varnish will not)

    what you show here are diff styles. very modern toilet, gold hardware, the rich marble, and then we have a cheap butcher block countertop and a vanity that reminds me of the melamine 80's. Sorry. that's what I see.


    I like the marble, and the toilet,

    For sure NOT that countertop and vanity.

    this is a beautiful walnut wood top. much better


    and here's one in cherry


    I've done a desk top in cherry boards. it's not difficult.

    so much better looking than that butcher block.

    examples of styles w/wood countertops




    I like this look too:

    https://www.ourwelldesignedlife.com/post/our-wood-bathroom-countertop-6-months-later-how-s-it-holding-up


    Now, this ^would be nice for a kids bathroom. walnut top, painted white vanity, the vertical black shiplap, your gold hardware. I'd do a cool black matte tile for the surround and a terrazzo porcelain floor tile




    so would this. if you can build your own wood, float it.


    do a porcelain cement look tile on the floor instead of marble. or this black slate look tile.

    Pick one style or the other.

    If you can build the vanity, then build something like this, and top is w/stone, marble or quartz


    Use a nice White Oak.


    all of these will look great w/the gold hardware and the porcelain-marble tile.


    this is the 23x23 terrazzo (calcatta is the color) that would look so good w/your gold and the wood vanity. (Brezza on Wayfair)


    You like this combo w/the marble tile? this is Marin tile from Bedrosians


    https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/detail/marin-tile/?itemNo=100003178&queryid=26b8b3e523a9afd3c904d3b283c44775

    Check out all of the photos toward the bottom of the page. lots of diff colors and style



    to see the rest of their tiles,

    https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/list/decorative-tiles/

  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    I voted for your first option layout but I would not tile the wall opposite the vanity.

    I agree no wood grain tile. There is too much pattern overall.

    I would find something in the same color family but in a plain fired tile if you want the look with a wood counter.



  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    Beth H. has provided you with many great ideas in her above comments.

    I agree that pairing wood look and marble tiles do not work well together.

    My primary bathroom has charcoal slate 4x10 tiles installed in a herringbone pattern on the bathroom floor (slate is very durable and doesn't need much maintenance at all - as long as you don't purchase cheap slate from China - my slate is from Brazil an does not flake + is not slippery) + honed marble tiles on the shower walls + on the wall around the freestanding tub (installed up to 42" height). I also have a white oak vanity + a solid white quartz countertop.



    I also used the same tile in my laundry/mudroom:



    I added a pretty accent tile on my vanity wall -



    Bedrosian Cloe and Marin tiles look nice in a bathroom for kids/guests:

    Bedrosian Cloe white:

    I used Cloe white (in the 2.5x8 size) in one of my guest bathrooms (tub/shower combo surround). It is also available in a 5x5 size + is available in several colors. Cloe white has been a very popular tile selection for kitchen backsplashes + bathroom shower/tub surrounds.



    Bedrosian Cloe Baby Blue (it's not really baby blue - it's really pretty):



    Bedrosian Marin Aloe Green:



    Marin Misty Blue:



    Marin Midnight Tide:



    Bedrosian Marin has several different colors + different sizes/shapes of tiles.

    Luna Celdon:



    This Luna tile is available in nine different colorways.


    Luna Blue:



    There are so many tiles. I think that faux marble has been way overdone over the past several years. There are MANY great options for a kids (or guest) bathroom.

  • PRO
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

    1000s of choices why only those? I will give you my choices . 12 x24 porcelain tile in a nice neutral color you like use it on the bathroom floor and shower walls , matching grout and the same tile smaller for a shower floor. It keeps grout to a minimum and budget too. Makes changing wall color or accessories easy to change and avoids trends . FYI wood look tiles are dated, never fooled anyone and do not belong anywhere where you would not put real wood