Software
Houzz Logo Print
violetta_valery

Do you have to have art above your bed?

4 months ago

I don't want to put something up there just to fill up space. My off-white walls are pretty bland, though. Thanks.


Comments (19)

  • 4 months ago

    No. Those of us in earthquake country put the art on other walls, not over our heads.

  • 4 months ago

    Of course you don't have to. Do you like the way the room looks when you walk in. Textiles or some sort of wall baskets are also a possibility for something decorative if you want to fill a space.

  • 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

    Molding can have a big impact, but in a subtle way. If interested, no harm researching the different types of applications and see if any appeal to you.


  • 4 months ago

    No. you don't need to decorate every wall in the home either.

    When everything is 'Special' nothing is special.

  • 4 months ago

    Head board matters. I have a wedding quilt hanging over mine.

  • 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

    Yes. But it depends on the room. I did not in my previous home. I have a nine bedroom inn. There is art above the bed in 5 of the bedrooms. Can we see a picture of the room?

  • 4 months ago

    Yes. It’s an ink drawing from an artist friend. It’s not very heavy, but I also don’t live in earthquake country.

  • 4 months ago

    I live in an earthquake area and have art above my bed. Not remotely worried.

  • 4 months ago

    I don’t. I like to see the art from my bed, plus I live in earthquake country.

  • 4 months ago

    No,you do not need hard stuff hanging over your head.
    Art pieces will only able to be viewed when you enter the bedroom.
    Art is best hung across from the bed,so it meets your eye while you are at rest.
    Do try a tapestry or other soft item.
    Show us your solution.

  • 4 months ago

    I have a very large wreath over one of the beds in my guest room. The colors pick up the colors in the quilt, and the foliage works year round. I would post a photo, but I’m about 900 miles away 😉

  • 4 months ago

    I have a window behind my bed as no other place with a wall to put it but in other previous homes, I have never put anything hanging on the wall behind bed for safety reasons. I wouldn’t mine putting a tapestry type item though.

  • PRO
    4 months ago

    I will guess since we have no idea of your space. I like to see the art from my .bed,

  • PRO
    4 months ago

    @auntthelma, you may not be in earth quake territory, but how was you winter in Maine? We are still cleaning up on the Cape. What a mess.

  • 4 months ago

    I think what you choose should be what feels best. I too live in earthquake country but I have one of my favorite paintings--Nighthawks by Hopper--in an oversized canvas print over the bed. I see it all the time except when I am in bed. But I am in bed to sleep. I don't have any electronics in the room nor do I read in bed. So even if I had the print across from the bed I still wouldn't see it more than I do now.


    I had thought about a headboard for years when I did read in bed but then I got an upholstered one. About a year later I got rid of it. It just wasn't all that pleasant for me. Plus, extra cleaning.


    The art I now have I feel really makes the bed more beautiful because it's pretty plain. There are no decorative pillows because I dislike clutter, and the two vintage nightstands and lamps really set it off nicely.


    So . . . what do you like?

  • 4 months ago

    I live in earthquake country, and I have a window my bed against a window wall, with the glass covered by plantation shutters. I love this arrangement. In the guest room, I have an antique quilt hanging on the wall behind the bed.

  • PRO
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

    Rather a mystery meat with no picture of the room? You don't "have" to do much of anything anything other than pay taxes,: ) and the rest of your bills.

    Is this the same bedroom from last year, where you wanted free design software?

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6473746/easy-software-for-redecorating

    It's hard to crowd source opinion, without know what you are going for and what you now have. There's a difference between serene and peaceful, and it's opposite of "bland": )

  • 4 months ago

    I have a window. Even if you don't have a window, you can create a "fake" with curtains spanning the width of your bed.

  • 4 months ago

    Oncape, we had a lot of snow this winter. Spring chores are done, pruning, oiling the deck, sraering up the pond. Summer cant come soon enough!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County