Software
Houzz Logo Print
terezaza

countertop seam

2 months ago

Need honest thoughts and opinions on this Dekton Bromo countertop install a family member had done. Is the seam acceptable? Placement and direction of the pieces seem to be non ideal combined with possibly a bad fill. Need other opinions

Purchased through Costco who contracts with a very high end/well known countertop company.

Homeowner signed off on the CAD drawings which put the seam here in this location.

Comments (12)

  • 2 months ago

    Is it flat? Looks a little wonky, but are they 100% finished?

  • 2 months ago

    Direction of pattern is an issue, but they probably didn't want to pay for more slab material. They probably get charged by the sq.ft and didn't get an inch more of material. The fabricator will maximize the material he has in inventory to get the most profit and not the best looking job.

    I hope they are tiny people or only one person lives there, because that is a tight corner to prep,wash, cook and bake.

  • 2 months ago

    @millworkman yes they are finished. They are coming back today for backsplash measurement but countertop is “complete”

  • 2 months ago

    @chispa yes I agree the grain pattern is the issue... the change in direction is HARSH

  • 2 months ago

    Was the homeowner involved in the process of laying out the pieces? I spent an hour with our fabricator, going back and forth between the computer (with photos of our 3 slabs, and all the shapes we required), and looking at the slabs themselves. Together the expert and I came up with a template, that I signed off on.

    CAD drawings are not the same as what I did. I'd be interested to know exactly what they signed off on.

    teresa CL thanked AnnKH
  • 2 months ago

    @AnnKH - The homeowner was not given the opportunity to work with the fabricator on layout pieces. only the 2D Cad drawing showing where the seam would be.

  • 2 months ago

    yeah - my fabricator showed me what the counters would look like by using the template and the actual stone pictures so I could see EXACTLY what it would look like. (I had some bookmatching so that was critical) but unless they had the pictures and could see the grain clearly - this would be a hard thing to envision.

  • 2 months ago

    I would not be happy with that. It's not so much that a seam is there -- most of us have seams -- but the seam in combination with the abrupt change in direction make it looks like the countertop was cobbled together.

  • 2 months ago

    Why wouldn't they just make a straight seam instead of that odd curved one.

    Here is one of my corners. Pattern flows across the seam and they just did a simple butted straight seam.




  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    A color matched Sharpie will make that seam nearly disappear.




  • PRO
    2 months ago

    "Why wouldn't they just make a straight seam instead of that odd curved one."


    It's called a French Miter.

  • PRO
    28 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

    I’d be concerned about that seam too. From the photos, it looks quite visible, especially given the dark Dekton surface. Since the homeowner approved the CAD location, the placement itself may be expected, but the quality of the seam should still be clean and consistent.

    If this were soapstone, we’d approach the seam and finishing differently. We’ve been fabricating and installing stone countertops for 20+ years, and we also offer our The Original Soapstone Wax™ and The Original Soapstone Oil™ for maintaining a uniform, beautiful finish. Garden State Soapstone The Original Soapstone Wax™ and The Original Soapstone Oil™ .