Software
Houzz Logo Print
doris_schmidt47

How to make kitchen less bland

last month

Designing a kitchen for a new house, liked the components I chose, but this AI rendering shows that it might be … boring.

How do I make it more interesting without adding jarring colors or a gaudier backsplash?

I like a clean, neutral aesthetic, but might have overdone it.

  • Important to note: Two 10-foot windows with lake and mountain views will provide visual interest.

Comments (31)

  • last month

    Curtains, dish towels, table cloths, greenery, artwork

  • last month

    I do not think it is bland at all except of course at this angle without the views as context. I would not want me kitchen to be the star in this scenerio. I would leave that to the view and probably why you bought or built this place. As well in this image the walls are exactly the same colour as the cabinets, go a tone darker or lighter to give a touch of contrast.

  • PRO
    last month

    A nice big bowl of real fruit you actually eat and done .Those cabinets should have gone to the ceiling, please do not put stuff up there .If it is not too late please make all the base cabinets drawers.

  • last month

    Pretty kitchen! - lighter counter stools with some texture would add interest

  • last month

    Did you consider more drawers versus lower cabinets? Drawers are very convenient!

    When you live in the kitchen, it will look more, well, lived in.

  • last month

    Don't do that end pantry as a walled/framed closet. Use pantry cabinets to make a pantry and you will get more space for storage.

  • last month

    You need some color in there somewhere. I'm not a fan of slab backsplashes {ducks for cover...} so instead I'd choose an interesting backsplash in a color -- soft or bold, depending on what you're going for. If you don't want to do that, then soft furnishings like kitchen towels rugs, etc and colorful fruit bowl, vases, etc for counter. And yes, take the cabinets to the ceiling if it's not too late for that.

  • last month

    I mean it’s AI. It gets it slightly wrong. Make cabinets go to ceiling and add drawers not cupboards. Once you are there have a plant on the counter and some colour dish towels. Lighter coloured stools and done. The view is the star and we can’t see it’s

  • last month

    "The view is the star and we can’t see it’s"


    ^^ This. We're just commenting on the one AI pic you showed. If you show us the view, the advice will be more tailored to your situation. Maybe bland is better or you need earthy tones not color because the view is so spectacular but none of us can see what you see without a pic.

  • last month

    I agree with la la girl on the stools. Maybe 2 pretty pendants over the island. But not necessary. It’s a nice kitchen.

  • last month

    Lots of different ways to add colour without renovating or making permanent changes....Put some colourful decorative items on top of the cabinets - coloured ceramic bowls or silk plants, etc. Change the upholstery on the kitchen stools (or change them entirely) to something with splashes of colour. Or, if you don't use them often, just add small throw pillows on a couple of them. The next time you're buying a small appliance for the kitchen (like a kettle, or a toaster), buy an interesting colour. Maybe add some floor cloths or mats that have colour in them - some come in very classic, subtle designs.

  • last month

    Only drawers on the bottom. You'll be glad you did them. The black island is rather stark. If you went with a softer color you could consider it for the hood.

    This looks llike no one lives there. Most of us have colorful appliances or bowls that hold fruit and these provide the color. I like that it's not messy..... :)

  • last month

    Ditch the boring counter matching backsplash. Go for colorful tile, instead.

    Install real wood floors, not the dull looking LVP in your AI photo.

    And, as others have suggested, bring the cabs to the ceiling.

  • last month

    I agree with cabinets to the ceiling, with glass doors. I also would have glass cabinet door left and right of hood for glassware. The hood enclosure is a bland slab,, I would hang art on i

  • last month

    Thanks for the input, everyone - you've put it all in perspective and given some good suggestions I plan to use! I would have liked to reply to individual comments, but couldn't figure out how.

  • last month

    If you want to reply to comments, just start a new comment and add @schdoris at the beginning of each individual comment. It will let each person know you have responded personally to them.

  • last month

    I mean or don’t reply to each comment. People mostly said the same thing. Post back with updates and further questions. Don’t start a new thread.

  • last month

    You are designing a new house so really think about the hard finishes - real wood floors or high quality engineered vs plastic floors? Real stone counters vs plastic counters? Cabinetry style and detailing, getting colors well coordinated? All of this after a rock solid floor plan that functions. Your AI image is ‘fine’ and would improve with contrasting counter stools but that is cart before the horse stuff. Think big picture then work down to the details. Posting your floor plan and showing real samples of hard finishes you are considering will get you the best advice.

  • PRO
    29 days ago

    Jumping in on the hood, since a couple of you already clocked it (Lisa and RedRyder are right, that slab reads flat).


    Here's the thing though: in a clean neutral kitchen like yours, the hood is actually your best shot at adding interest without touching color or the backsplash at all. A custom metal range hood brings in warmth and texture through the material itself, so you get a real focal point without anything getting loud or busy. You can play with the shape or some small detailing to give the eye something to catch. A hood like that becomes more of an architectural piece, the kind that carries the room quietly.


    Worth raising with your designer or builder while the walls are still open. Happy to talk design and finishes if it's helpful.

  • 28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

    Are you set on your choices; ie: does the island have to work with the adjoining room? When you mentioned your view of a lake and mountains, I thought of what wood could do in creating more warmth and a connection to the outside. Maybe consider a different backsplash and adding pendants.


  • PRO
    28 days ago

    OP where are you and why ask if you do not want to get answers and answer our questions 12 days a long time to not check back

  • 28 days ago

    I have been reading and considering the comments, but yours is the first one to give me a "reply" option. There's also no option to edit my own post to respond there. I never had this problem before and I assume it's user error, but can't figure it out!


    Anyway, I made some changes that made a big difference: All bottom cabinets and the range hood are getting the same "maple smoke" stain as the island; top cabinets will be painted SW White Flour.


    I realized the main problem was the beige cabinets, which my designer suggested but I just couldn't force myself to like.

    I'm pretty happy with it now; it opens to the living area and provides, a warm, clean backdrop for that.

  • 28 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

    Love the two-tone direction you decided on! SW White Flour is such a lovely, soft warm white that won't feel stark. Just a quick tip as you move forward with the build: make sure to test your under-cabinet lighting temperature (3000K is usually the sweet spot) so it brings out the rich undertones of the maple smoke stain while keeping the upper cabinets looking crisp. Would love to see the final photos when it's done! I'd also like to recommend this website-it has a lot of interesting offers that you might like.

  • PRO
    28 days ago

    I find the veining of the backsplash distracting. Will suggest instead of using the same material as the countertop that you consider a plain, solid color tile instead. Also, instead of the veined countertop perhaps an all white color might work better. You can introduce more color, pattern and texture with artwork and accessories.

  • 27 days ago

    I've been sort of obsessing about that too. I really love the taj so keeping the counter, but wondered if the backsplash would be too much.


    The designer feels strongly that the same backsplash as the counter is the way to go ... but she's also the one who suggested the beige cabinets! More discussions ahead.


    Note: I seem to have a "reply" option only for the last comment in the thread at any given time.

  • 24 days ago

    It looks very similar to our kitchen and we love it. For color - throw in a few colored rugs; a colored bowel on island; colored tea pot on gas oven; could add a few cabinets with glass doors and that gives you the opportunity to put some color behind them. We purchased our house with the ”taj mahal” quartzite and we’ve grown to absolutely love it. One small change that made a big difference - added brass knobs and door pulls which really dressed up the kitchen. Hope that helps but our kitchen is not ”boring” - nor is yours. It’s elegant in its simplicity. We love your dark island with white cabinets - we have the same thing. Last - we did add some dark beams on the ceiling above the island which pulled everything together.

  • PRO
    24 days ago

    Something to consider is a tile backsplash. I have been told repeatedly by experts quartz behind a stove is not a good idea. They say it will yellow.

  • 23 days ago

    Fabric covered stools will add some color to this beautiful kitchen.
    Here are some ideas.

  • 23 days ago

    Or textured ones.

  • PRO
    22 days ago

    I think one of the easiest ways to give this kitchen more personality would be through the lighting. You already have a clean, neutral base, so you don’t necessarily need to add lots of decorative elements. A distinctive designer pendant light could become a strong focal point and add exactly the character the room is currently missing.

    I recently put together a video showing 8 very different designer pendant lights in actual interiors. They vary quite a lot in shape and style, and it really shows how much a single statement light can change the character of a room. It might give you some ideas:

    https://youtu.be/nKEcEzpYHhk