Software
Houzz Logo Print
chilanlieu

Bathroom & Closet floor plan help

last month

This is my first floor plan for my home. It is currently to a 2-bed, 1.5 bath home with 1276 sq feet. I
have posted the original floor plan and proposed floor plan I have drawn up. The only walls I am moving are for the middle section of the home where a jack-and-Jill bathroom with 2 small closets were. I am relocating the plumbing to make the one bath smaller and an en-suite for my daughter’s bathroom. The closet space will be the primary walk-in closet (7’ wide’) and primary bathroom is being built where the current little closet in the room lives. Any feedback here? I posed measurements separately. Should both bathrooms butt up against one another and I go for a closet along the short wall of primary bedroom? Please help. I am a little lost trying to make this home feel luminous, yet manageable as I cannot increase square footage. Thank you!!

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    last month
    last modified: last month

    You have two posts on the same home. One asking about the kitchen peninsula and now this one. Delete the kitchen post.

    Every wall and window and opening needs a dimension. Each and every , and nobody cares square feet.



    This below is NO



    This is no.......unless a pocket door entry and two sinks on a 60" vanity is absurd, and that is DESPITE what you see on the internet.




  • last month

    Hi @Jan. Thanks. I had to split the post into 2 (kitchen and bath) because of the limit on picture uploads. I want to provide what info I can. Thanks for your input. The 60” vanity has been purchased, sadly…so that’s done. But do you have any feedback besides ‘NO’?

  • 29 days ago

    The concept has merit. A professional would keep Bath2 to 5' wide and standard U.S. layout, which will also eliminate a need for a bumpout into the Sunroom. The Master Bath around 6' max width as you have it to keep the Master a reasonable size in comparison to Bed2.

    The graphic square in the Sunroom closet would indicate either an air handler or W/D. An air handler may need to stay, if W/D it appears to have been eliminated from the house.

    I mention professional because in the U.S. adding a full bath changes your tax assessment and a professional should be hired to run it through permit.

  • 29 days ago

    Primary bathroom - why is there a sliver of unused space? You should move the wall back so that the shower ends against it vs. leaving this sliver of space. Should have it as part of the primary bedroom instead. Also, you shouldn't have bought a two sink vanity - however, it's already purchased - unless you are able to return it or sell it, you will just have to learn to live with hardly any countertop space in here.


    The door is a problem - as Jan already pointed out above - you need to make it a pocket door. Currently, if someone is using the sink against the wall, and the other person who uses this bathroom walks into the bathroom - the door will hit the person at the sink (or be blocked by the person).



    The second bathroom off your daughter's room has too much wasted space. The layout also seems awkward. Your sunroom/study is too narrow - it would be better to add this space back into that room.


    As 3onthetree has commented above, you'd be better off to make the bathroom the standard 5 x 8 layout:




    However, as 3onthetree has also pointed out - it appears that you have eliminated your air handler when you took that space + the linen closet next to it to use in order to change your floor plan from 1.5 to 2.5 baths.


    If I was building this house, I'd add a scaled floor plan that includes dimensions for every wall/window/door/doorway/fireplace/etc. You can post it in a comment. There seems to be some wasted space in this layout - and at 1276 sf, you don't have the luxury to have wasted space (many people don't have that luxury).


    If you take a little time and effort in order to provide all of the dimension needed, people will be able to help improve your floor plan quite a bit. The time it takes to make a scaled plan that includes all needed dimensions is a small amount of time/effort compared to the amount of $$$ you will be spending to build this home. I wish I could have used Houzz when I built my house so I could have asked for input from all of the pros + knowledgeable non-pros on here.

  • 23 days ago

    Thank you for all your advice. I drew the door dimensions as well as some missing ones on these images. I am removing the air handler and closet and making guys a walk-in closet for primary bedroom. There is NO CLOSET currently. I will add pics with measurements for the other rooms as separate drawings. The sunroom is a quirky room flooded with beautiful light but it is oddly wide. I thought of using it as an office/green house. I’m moving the W/D into the guest 1/2 bath (where the water heater was) and bumping out the closet into the dining room by 12” to fit it. That will make it in the middle of the home and away from the bedrooms, but only spot I can find to put it.

    Primary bath—I didn’t want. Too large of a shower, but think 5’ to turn around in a bathroom is quite tight. My bath is currently 5’, so I thought adding one ,ore foot would be nicer. I’d rather have a smaller shower, but was cautioned it could look ‘cheap’ not to go wall to wall, so I a, expanding shower to 6’ but worry about it being cold. I do not have experience with such a large shower.

    Second bath - I cannot move the north or south wall, so it cannot expand to 8’ long, hence the weird square shape. I did include a 30x54” tub to save on space and 36” vanity!

    Also posting a floorplan of my kitchen as I have no idea if it is usable how I’ve created a little peninsula but don’t think it is….was going to put a little 18” table that folds out to 30” instead. I need a place for people to sit while I cook.

    Thank you all for your help!

  • 22 days ago

    I apologize, the program keeps resetting the 32” door on the south wall of bedroom leading to the closet to 2’7.5”. I have locked it to 2’6”. It leads to the walk-in closet.

    And here is a floorplan of the kitchen. Thank you all!

  • 21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

    Study /Sunroom

    This space is only slightly larger than 7' , and it must act as a hallway; thus, you can't really have furniture in this space. I'd give up using it as "a room" -- I can see two ways to use the space:

    - Did you say your daughter's room needs a closet? I figure you're stealing it for the kitchen? Carve a reach-in closet out of the sunroom. This'll also provide her with acoustical privacy from the hallway.

    - Build bookshelves in the sunroom /against your daughter's wall. Floor to ceiling bookshelves could give you incredible storage.

    Bathroom thoughts

    - A 5' wide bathroom will feel average /not cramped. 5' wide is average.

    - I have no love for the J&J sketch -- I like a good J&J, but they are seldom good. This one is cramped and haphazard, and it just doesn't look like it'll work.

    - Your master bathroom vanity isn't large enough to support duplicate sinks, and they are not "expected" in houses of this size. Definitely downsize this to a single sink, which will allow you a stack of drawers for each spouse -- or you could bump the sink to the left or right and have nice wide drawers. Note that you have no other storage in this bathroom.

    - Run the shower wall-to-wall -- no, it won't look cheap at all. OR add a skinny 12" shelf stack at the foot of the shower, which would fit folded towels "just right" or to add baskets to hide extra toiletries. You could even have space for a hamper on the bottom /shelves up above. I can't get a picture to copy, but here's a website that shows something that could work in your bathroom: https://www.homestoriesatoz.com/tutorials/how-to-build-bathroom-shelves-next-to-shower.html

    - Note that you have no storage in your daughter's bathroom either -- and her vanity is too small to really give you any drawer storage. The best you could do is to add a small freestanding cabinet outside her bathroom door to hold towels and extra toiletries.

    - In both bathrooms, as they are both small, keep your water items all in one wall. What you propose for your daughter's bathroom is a mess because you're trying to have the toilet on one wall /the sink on another. Dani drew you a simple, classic 3-piece bath -- that's your answer. It's cheaper to keep all your water in one wall, and it provides fewer spaces for leaks. Most importantly, it leaves you a nice walking aisle.

    - If you could run all water items in both bathrooms in the same wall, it'd be a money-saver.

    - Do not even think about pocket doors for bathrooms -- they're great for spots where the door is almost always left open (laundries, pantries), but they're not heavy-duty enough for doors that're opened /closed multiple times a day. The question isn't Will it break? It's When will it break? And when that happens, you'll likely need a pro to fix it.

    Master bedroom

    - Move the bed to the opposite wall /away from the bathroom. This'll make the bed quieter, and it'll better balance the space. It'll give you a full wall (shared with the bathroom) for a dresser, bookshelves, a desk, or whatever else you might want.

    Kitchen

    - The kitchen proposal looks good. The only thing I'd consider is swapping the dishwasher and the trash. Running the water "around the corner" is a common thing in U-shaped kitchens, and it won't crowd the dishwasher. You'll need a 3-4" filler between the dishwasher and the corner (to allow for the drawer handles on the 90-degree cabinet) and to allow the dishwasher space to open.

  • 21 days ago

    For the kitchen, I’d move the trash to the immediate right of the sink. I’d then void that corner so you could either fit a larger bank of drawers to the left of the range or on both sides of range. That cabinet run should go right up to the doorway. Then you can put a Le Mans or super Susan to the left of the dishwasher. I would be very tempted to use some or all of that hall closet in the kitchen as a pantry.

  • 17 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

    I'm new at this, so please forgive my novice wonderings. Did that double sink cabinet come with the top already cut? Would i be possible to keep just the right-hand sink and somehow turn the place where the left-had sink is into either a cabinet or maybe just open shelves for towels and such? If that is possible, you might also be able to put shelves up on the wall there for storage, or a shallow medicine cabinet, leltting you have a nice mirror with better lighting? And if you put storage beside the end of the shower (and I don't like a bathroom that the standard size either), she'll have lots of storage.

  • 17 days ago

    I lived in an apartment that was about the same size as this house and the master bathroom had a 60” vanity with 2 sinks and it was totally fine. I didn’t do makeup there, but otherwise plenty of space. Make sure to do two recessed medicine cabinets above the sinks.