Software
Houzz Logo Print
chilanlieu

Kitchen floor plan help

27 days ago

The kitchen keeps me up at night. I want a peninsula but can’t figure out where to put it. Currently by the front door, there is a coat closet I am having cut back to 3’ long, but that means it’ll jut out in kitchen 5 feet due to kitchen coming out of exterior wall 2’ more than living area. If I put peninsula on stove side, it could work but even with 6” of wall added to 26” counter, it’ll protrude 4” into the
hallway for a 3’ peninsula. Plus it transitions from 26” counters to 36” when it flips stove side, which feels weird to me. Speaking of the hallway, I was originally going to put a stacked laundry center in the small closet in the hallway. Is there any other place you can see it going? Please help me see the light. Any and all constructive feedback welcome.

Comments (6)

  • 27 days ago

    The after demo floor plan doesn't make sense to me. Why not completely eliminate closet and L shaped wall then go from there? Does this pinisula need water,drain or electric? Will it serve as a bar,food prep or other? Have you considered building it then adding casters to raise it 1" above flooe? You could move it around until you choose perminate place and take it off casters. You could also build a mock-up if size is still a question in your mind.

  • 27 days ago

    I love the idea of having the fridge on that wall to keep the light through the window. I will talk to my contractor about that! You don’t think it is possible to do seating at that peninsula? Is it because it butts up against the door? I originally was putting the laundry stack by the 1/2 bath because plumbing is already there w/ gas due to water heater. Thoughts?

  • 26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

    I think seating at the peninsula would block that back hall. Maybe it would work if you got stools that slid completely under the counter. But then you'd need that top counter (by the back door hall) to be deeper, and that would shorten your leftmost counter where the sink is. I wouldn't want to cramp the space by the sink.

    re: the washer and dryer near the half bath: that would mean taking space from either the half bath and BR2 closet, or from your dining space, yes? Either way, I don't love have the laundry intrude on your dining space. You have a nice corner there for benches or chairs and a table and it's right near the kitchen, so I'd want to leave that dining area as is.

    It might help you to draw this out on graph paper, to scale, with your furniture (or wished-for furniture) drawn in to scale.

  • 24 days ago

    I would do something like this. Is there a door at the end of the hallway next to the kitchen ? Either way, if there is a hallway, I would not remove the way. Having the wall also provides additional storage. You can also create arch or a simple square opening in the hallway, if that is necessary.









  • 23 days ago

    Your trusses or joists, which way do they go? Should be across the space and the post you show should not be necessary. A contractor is not a structural engineer. Remove the wall and closet. You then can configure a functional kitchen with an island. All drawer base cabs. You won't need uncomfortable seating with a dining table with normal height chairs right there. I'd cut the wall bryween the kitchen and the powder room back some.