Software
Houzz Logo Print
lord_of_the_tacos

1928 room that has accumulated about a century of competing decisions

9 days ago
last modified: 4 days ago

I'm losing my mind here. I've done the plaster repair and fairly vanilla paint. This old living room desperately needs some design advice.

The light fixture.

9' ceilings. The current nightmare has this giant bronze plated fixure that just dominates the room. It's gaudy and it's too big, hanging down uncomfortably into personal space.

I really am struggling to land on a fixture.

The windows.

9' ceilings. Window case is 41" wide. The problem is the wall space on either side of the window is not symetrical and off balance; the door side of the window is 19", the wall adjacent to the other side that space is 4" - soooo, I'm thinking no curtains?

I'm sort of a minimalist, so I'm okay with some art and a decent light fixture.

What type of fixture works for this room, glass, smaller brass chandelier ?

Would curtains be bad?

Thanks!






The room dimensions are 17'10" x 15'3", 9' ceilings.



Comments (33)

  • 9 days ago

    What style are you looking for? I agree that fixture completely overwhelms the space. I would skip the curtains and stick with roman blinds or something textured.

  • 9 days ago

    What kind of sun does the window in the first pic get? Do you need the privacy. If it gets any sun at all and you don't need 100% of the window covered, I'd go with a big, bushy plant. An elephant ear will cover a lot of window, fill your corner and be inexpensive and get big enough fast. Then, you can keep the existing blinds.


    This one's outdoors, but you they thrive inside, too. They come in plain green and some exotic colors --- look up Waikiki.


    Lemont Landscaping At Cog Hill · More Info


  • 9 days ago

    Since it’s a 9’ ceiling I would look for a ”semi flush” light fixture online ( Lumens,Lamp’s + , etc. ) I’m a Roman shade fan.

  • 9 days ago

    Here’s one that works well with your traditional home and high ceilings.

  • 9 days ago

    Plantation shutters are a good choice for windows such as yours.

  • 9 days ago

    I dislike plantation shutters, because I like having my blinds/shades fully open to expose the whole view/light coming through the window, unless the sun is coming through at that particular time of day or it is nighttime. I find plantation shutters claustrophobic.

    I like to use Hunter Douglass Duette shades with the bottom-up/top-down feature for maximum flexibility.

    You can also do stationary drape panels to add color/pattern.

  • 9 days ago

    The PS were already in place. Thanks for your comments.

  • 9 days ago

    Thanks @Emily! I wonder what you think about green glass or smoked glass…lol.

  • 9 days ago

    Everything has its place. 😀

  • 9 days ago

    A scale drawing with doors, windows and correct measurements would go a long way towards helping us give good advice

  • 9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

    Is the window shown in the room with the fireplace? Are there curtain panel on other windows? I think a rod across the entire width with just one stack to the left could work and would be appropriate to the age of the room. I see the window has hardware that indicates a skinny rod hung from the casings at one time. Sheers I imagine but wouldn't have to be. A roman shade done in the same fabric as other panels in the room is also a great idea. I would agree with the flush mount fxture but over all I am not a fan of ceiling fixtures in a livingroom.

    Lord oftheTacos thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

    I too dislike plantion shutters but what else do you want to change ? IMO the TV belongs beside the FP at the proper viewing level but the rest is a mystery. Toscale plans are IMO a must usually and some clue as to your style which we need to understand

  • 8 days ago

    I agree that we are not getting the full picture of the room. id like to see the room from the doorway by the fireplace. tvs above fireplaces are a no-no imo, even though there are 1000’s of pics of them being positioned there. The tv is too high for comfortable viewing.

  • PRO
    8 days ago

    I’d definitely go with a glass chandelier rather than another heavy bronze fixture. With 9-foot ceilings, I’d look for something visually lighter and more refined, with a relatively compact drop, so it adds character without dominating the room.

    Since the house is from 1928, I wouldn’t necessarily try to make everything minimalist. A beautiful traditional piece can work surprisingly well in a cleaner modern setting. I recently put together a video about five classic luxury pieces that have survived changing design trends, including Murano-style glass chandeliers. It might give you a few ideas for the direction:
    https://youtu.be/PoZYuVMbVXQ

  • PRO
    7 days ago

    I never think the age of the house drives decor and this is a pic of a 1905 House LR where I actually added back trim and original ceiling design . My decor will never be traditional and IMO does not need to be in any home . Your style is what makes it your home. But we need to understand your style and we need to see the whole room


  • 7 days ago

    Another vote for top down bottom up shades. I like woven - comes in white as well as various natural tones. And I do like the fixture Emily posted

  • 6 days ago

    This room is an embarassment of riches! How fabulous to have such a gorgeous space with those high ceilings and interesting details. As mentioned below, I wouldn't stick with a "minimalist" approach in such a feature-rich, 1928 space. Be a bit bolder and find a style that you like. The twenties brought in the arabesque. Why not draw the eye up to those lovely high ceilings with a vintage chandelier? (Look at curtains as an opportunity to soften the space and bring in color.)

    Lord oftheTacos thanked apb0
  • 6 days ago

    Try to honor the house’s with your lighting. Many modern fixtures will work in your historic home.

  • 6 days ago

    Or these:

  • 6 days ago

    Deep brass, milk glass shades, restored antique chandeliers - all will enhance your home’s age.

    Lord oftheTacos thanked RedRyder
  • 4 days ago

    Consider the window by the door…could you replace the glass to match the door there? Also are all those interior doors necessarily needed?

  • 4 days ago

    The bricks on the floor could also be painted to match the tiles of the fire place…small details like this can add to the flow of the room…leaving more “space” to add “interesting features

  • 4 days ago

    One of the walls could have a collage of family photos or art

  • 4 days ago

    What a gorgeous room! I’’m really not a fan of a center light fixture (even if it’s flush-mount.

    I’d either just cap it, or put a plain ceiling fan (w/no lights!) in its place. Then add a few canned lights.

    Hunter Douglas shades for those beautiful windows. I have the PowerView Duolight shades throughout my home (even on some interior French doors!) and they’re wonderful...no curtains needed.

    Have fun decorating your space; I’m sure it will be lovely!

    Lord oftheTacos thanked MaryBocaTX
  • 4 days ago

    Plantation shutters can be angled and work amazingly well. So easy to maintain.

  • 4 days ago

    Thank you, Everyone, for the kind comments, all really helpful.


    I really would like to add curtains but the asymnetricl windows/walls make that impossible unless I do a single panel...I can't get there.


    Somone used ai (thank you, Emily) and this inspired me to give that a try (attached here). The curtain across the doors helps calm my anxiety that ai is taking over the world, helpful tool but folks like you all cannot be replaced!


    I'm going to look at some roman shades for a little color and maybe a modern and smaller chanderlier (thank you Red Ryder).


    I also ordered a frame tv with lovely 3" frame, olive green/gold.


    I'll send some updates soon, appreciate all the comments!


  • 3 days ago

    It’s nice that you are doing a glass chandelier. I had created a couple of renderings with your room the other day. I used glass/crystal chandelier, smoked glass, green glass. I like the idea of leaning into a vintage/classic chandelier style.


    Your tv is way too high for comfortable viewing. If you are keeping it over the fireplace, you really need a mount. mantelmount.com


    Amazon also carries the mount.



  • 3 days ago

    Hi Lord of the Tacos, Wow, what a beautiful room! I've always had an affinity for old homes, the older the better. Your home looks to be in great shape for nearly being a centenarian! Instead of top/bottom rise shades, would you consider the blinds with sheers attached?

    https://cdn.blindster.com/site/product/llfzss120/color/lf003001-product-swatch-9.jpg A blind/sheer the size need for your window will cost about $90, but it won't be motorized--you don't need motorized anyway because they are well within reach. The sheer part of the shades will mimic the drapes, and the blinds part will give you various levels of privacy.


    The chandelier you chose looks fabulous--very much styled towards the age of your home. Just one thing to be aware of--- when you are watching television with the light on, the glare from the light will show up on the tv screen. Also, the lights will shine down and be in your peripheral vision. There was a photo of a drum shade light posted earlier. Something like that will not cast a glare on the television, and if there is a diffuser on the underneath side of the drum shade, it will stop any glare in your peripheral vision.


    Good luck, and don't forget to come back and post photos :-)

  • 3 days ago

    I'm guessing those two windows are on either side of the french door. Why don't you view them as a set of three and do one curtain panel over each one hung high up to emphasize the height of the ceiling and mimic the height of the french door.

    I would change the light fixture to something that does not hang as far down. Use "regal" colors to go with your brown sofa. Wine red/burgandy, navy blues, dark greens, etc.

  • 3 days ago

    I have seem much uglier hanging lights. The modern crazy looking ones are worse. Go for something simple that does not hang down much - even a very inexpensive fixture could work and then make your room lighting with nice traditional style lamps on tables.

  • 3 days ago

    The fixture is not ugly, it is just too large for the room and too large for most homes - it is more of a foyer light or even dining room, but in smaller scale.

  • 3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

    If you want curtains I was able to do it in my bedroom and hall with a similar setup and a rad! it is not perfect but it looks ok in my opinion.