Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladderclimber

Fun topic: composting made easy

3 days ago

This is longish so skip if not interested. 🙏


I have composted for a number of years. I started with all the sod I dug up to make all the big gardens in our back area. I stacked the pieces and layered them with grass cuttings and leaves. They made a huge rectangle 4 ft tall. A year later it was about 18” tall! I smoothed it out and covered it with heavy duty organic composting paper and left it another year. It has been a perennial bed for 3 Springs now.


I continued to use leaves and some grass clippings but it is better for the lawn to leave the clippings. There is a myth that they make thatch but that isn’t true. I grind the leaves and they go in my beds.


I have been reducing the number of wire surrounds I use for composting. I have been concentrating on kitchen scraps . I have one big round wire cage now after putting all the soil in the other 2 out into the beds. I recently started a new improved way to compost scraps.


I had a 5 gal bucket that I filled and then emptied and buried under dirt and some leaves in the wire cage . But it takes too long to break down.


We have a LOT of peelings and scraps each day. About 2 gallons a week. Enter the new improved rapid breakdown system. DH fills a quart plastic lidded container with everything that is allowed : coffee grounds, tea leaves , veg and fruit peelings etc . He empties it into the gallon bucket on the porch outside the back door. No more smelly 5 gallon bucket that weighs a ton!


Two x a week I use my food processor to mulch the gallon of scraps into a slurry with water added as needed. I hollow out a place in the top of the wire cage and bury this .


It breaks down so fast , the huge worms are so happy and it smells wonderful! Orange and coffee and tea leaves are very fragrant!


Here are some pictures :







I put it back into the bucket to carry it out back.



here’s the big bin 4ft across and 3ft high :









Results of compost! Giant sedums😊



Hope this helpful for those who think it is too much work.They say you can actually just dig random deepish holes in your gardens and bury the slurry because its not attractive to pests as it isnt stinky. I haven’t tried that as we have very determined pesky squirrels and a groundhog and skunks! c

Comments (18)

  • 3 days ago

    I really appreciate this post, C, thank you. I’ve always wanted to do this, and have tried other methods, but get impatient or lazy or overwhelmed or all of the above. This seems very doable for us.

    Great inspiration. 💚

    Still trailing thanked Jilly
  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    Thanks for laying out your exact methodology. I have very few food scraps and what I do have gets added to the green waste that is collected by the city. I keep the waste I create in a small container in the freezer in between trash days. I don't have any grass, so no clippings and all but one of my trees are evergreen, so no leaves.

    I've always been afraid to try to compost at my house because I don't want to attract rats, but now I don't even have a place for a compost pile.

    I thought for a while that I might buy one of those countertop dessicating appliances, but again, I realized I don't have enough food waste for it to be useful.

    Still trailing thanked Fun2BHere
  • 2 days ago

    C, have you tried either leaving the leaves or raking them into a pile or piles, possibly hidden from view? Grinding or mulching the leaves will destroy any insects or any pupae that may be overwintering on the underside of the leaves or hidden under the leaves (otherwise known as spring bird food or butterflies, moths, etc. which also become bird food.

    Still trailing thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 2 days ago

    I don't have a yard anymore, and it's still a bit counterintuitive for me to throw away kitchen scraps. When we had a yard, I had a bin from our city; they're given out for free, and vermin proof (well except for cockroaches). I was gratified to learn the new owners of our house kept the bin.

    Before that, I used hardware cloth cylinders - that has much smaller openings.

    Do you use a dedicated food processor?


    Still trailing thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • 2 days ago

    I know a few people who compost and they always end up keeping some in the fridge as a stopgap...

    Still trailing thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 2 days ago

    always end up keeping some in the fridge as a stopgap...


    Why do they do that? Just curious.

    Still trailing thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 2 days ago

    @carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10 no it’s all clean from the fridge/ sink/ cutting board into the bucket. Just dish soap for everything as clean up.


    Stop gap for …? @mtnrdredux_gw


    @cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) I don’t mow over to grind anymore. I only did it once a few years ago and it was too much work and loud! I only have 3 trees and 2 are quite small leaves/ small trees. I just rake the leaves that get on the grass back into the beds underneath . The plants are extremely happy!


    I have my big wire homemade bin behind DH’s office/ shed it is blocked from view by a very large Corten Steel decorative panel. I have 5 of them as decorations so it all looks nice.

  • 2 days ago

    Thanks for the pictorial. I’d like to do this next year in Ct (we leave in 2 1/2 weeks for Fl). Longwood uses its’ fallen leaves as compost. They call it leaf mold. i think the ”runoff” was ”compost tea”

    Still trailing thanked jojoco
  • 2 days ago

    @jojoco I called the ” dregs” when I washed out the 5 gallon bucket compost tea and always dumped it straight on a flower bed. It was ” odiferous” to say the least but the plants love it.


    I am always looking for ways to shorten the process without diminishing the return. This composting is the ultimate!


    My leaves are all small and soft. I have to contend with the neighbor across the street who has a Magnolia tree. Huge coarse leaves. I used to try to deal with them but I now “sweep and dump “ , they go back under her huge tree. I pick the flowers as compensation 😊. c

  • yesterday

    My DH fishes, and he used to have a worm bin in his shop. We save scraps, and I did exactly as you do (on a smaller scale) with the blender. We called it worm smoothies. Smoothie FOR the worms, not containing worms!


    Now we have a compost heap outside, so we throw scraps in whole. I don't know if he has revived the worm population or not.

    Still trailing thanked aok27502
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    At both our places, my friends compost in bins that the town provides. Inveitably either their countertop bin or the outdoor bin are overflowing, so they start keeping scraps in a small bag in the fridge. I guess if they were really composting, ie themselves, there is always room!

  • yesterday

    Haha you had me on the smoothies lol! I have tons of worms . I always feel badly when I am digging and they get cut up.

  • yesterday

    I would love to compost, as I produce a lot of scraps, coffee grinds and eggshells. A neighbor a few doors down who’s a prolific gardener said she tried it once and it attracted rodents. I live on a small lot in an urban area, and I’d hate to be responsible for a neighborhood infestation.

    Still trailing thanked Feathers11
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    Bury it in a wire compost bin . See the attached link. She was doing something wrong. I have plenty of varmints in our area and never once has either my bucket or bin been invaded.

    The wrong sorts of foods or not burying it in the bin. I don’t have hardware wire just vinyl coated 3” squares wire. Cardboard underneath. That is it.

    Please don’t let her experience stop you. She is not a good example. 🙏c



    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+prevent+rodents+in+a+wire+bin+compist+pile&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS1149US1149&oq=how+to+prevent+rodents+in+a+wire+bin+compist+pile&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKABMgcIAhAAGO8FMgcIAxAAGO8FMgoIBBAAGIAEGKIEMgcIBRAAGO8FMgoIBhAAGIAEGKIEMgcIBxAhGI8CMgcICBAhGI8CMgcICRAhGI8C0gEJMjE0NzBqMGo3qAIZsAIB4gMEGAEgX_EF3k0YAyeGF4E&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&source=chrome.ob&ie=UTF-8#lfId=ChxjMe


  • yesterday

    Thank you for the link!

    Still trailing thanked Feathers11
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    FWIW, there is a Soil, Compost & Mulch forum here with helpful info...

    Still trailing thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • yesterday

    When we left our last house, the realtor told us to remove the compost bin and raised beds befroe we put it on the market. We tried different methods at this house and they all failed until we got the same square wire bin we thought was too large for this space. The wire bins seem to work the best of all. We put yard waste, coffee, tea, fruit and veggie peels and scraps, but they say not to put meat or fatty things in the bin or it can cause foul odors and will attract rodents.

    Still trailing thanked lascatx
  • yesterday

    @lascatx yes it is well documented that any fatty proteins etc are NOT for home compost.


    There is commercial compostable which is completely different and is subjected to high heat to aid breakdown.


    I assume , wrongly I guess, that people read about this before they begin. Anyway it is so simple and fulfilling to see the amazing black soil appear magically from carrot scraps etc.


    I hope I have encouraged a few new composters 🙏 c