Software
Houzz Logo Print
hobbitmom

Scotland here I come!

yesterday

All systems checked and re-checked; take off is a go!

Two weeks of castles and kilts, bag pipes and misty bogs!

I've packed plenty of rain gear, and good boots.

For several days, we will be near Balmoral Castle, but the royals may be staying there, so the roster of tours can be shortened. Rumour has it that sometimes they come to town to just chat with folks. WOW! I'll have to work on my curtsey!!

Comments (15)

  • yesterday

    I will be in Scotland in May.

    please let us know what you see and do, and the do’s and don’ts

    hobbitmom thanked theresafic
  • yesterday

    My son and GF were just there in August! I don’t know if it’s needed now, but a mosquito net hat to cover face and neck was a necessity against the midges.

    Have a great trip! We head to Yorkshire week after next, keep us posted on the weather?

    hobbitmom thanked bpath
  • yesterday

    Safe travels!

    hobbitmom thanked roxsolid
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    I was there several years ago. As we are a golfing family, the highlight for me was a visit to the Old Course at St Andrews and having my picture taken on the Swilcan Bridge. And we also visited the University of St Andrews which was very interesting. Prince William and Katherine attended school there.

    Oh - I should mention this: it came as a great surprise to me that sometimes we had to pay to use a restroom!

    hobbitmom thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • yesterday

    Safe travels, have fun and take lots of pictures to share!!

    hobbitmom thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • yesterday

    What fun. My best friend is there right now and said they have had perfectly beautiful weather.

    hobbitmom thanked Fun2BHere
  • yesterday

    Have a safe and good time.

    hobbitmom thanked lily316
  • yesterday

    Lucky you! Have fun!!

    hobbitmom thanked porkchop_z5b_MI
  • 19 hours ago

    Oh lucky you. I was there several years ago and would jump at a chance to go back.

    hobbitmom thanked dedtired
  • 18 hours ago

    How exciting! Have a wonderful trip and I hope you’ll find the time to share some photos. Lucky you!

    hobbitmom thanked petalique
  • 17 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

    It may be totally different now but when I was working a lot in mid UK, some of the best weather ever was in mid September to early October. No rain except maybe a drizzle a part of one day. Same with one trip to Scotland in September. I wish you a fabulous time. Some of the best little shops are off High Street in Edinburgh, including a small shop for tartans.

  • 8 hours ago

    We were there last August. No rain, no midges were fought while we hiked and toured, it was an unusual year! Each night as he dropped us off our tour guide would say "Tomorrow come dressed for RAIN ya never get two days, three days, four days in Scotland without rain." WE DID!! We timed our trip to see the 75th Royal Tattoo. In 75 years it has only been cancelled once due to weather --and our night to go was the ONE night!!!! (due to WIND) #2 DD is a piper and was devastated. We sat in our quaint Airbnb FLAT sipping wine and watching the previous year on TV. DD got her Sporran, and other accoutrements for her uniform in Edinburgh. We were on our own for meals and the advise to have reservations is not just a suggestion. Our tours often got back too late to hit our reservations and it was a lot of walking to find a place to eat!!






  • 7 hours ago

    Enjoy!!

  • 7 hours ago

    Bon voyage!!

    Can't wait to see some photos.