Software
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

OUCH! Part D Increases for 2027

18 hours ago
last modified: 18 hours ago

Got my Annual Notice of Change for 2027 today. Monthly premium is increasing from $52.50 to $98.30 and the deductible before anything is paid is going from $615 to $700. So, I'm out of pocket $1,879.60 before anything is covered.

I looked at my prescription costs for current YTD and I've spent $155.80 for medications. Not sure this is worth it for me to continue.

Comments (19)

  • 16 hours ago

    I agree...a big change can come in November. The power is in *our* hands!

    jrb451 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 16 hours ago

    Sometimes people confuse the difference between prepaid service policies and insurance policies.

    Most dental insurance plans are really prepaid plans. The typical coverage is that the annual "premium" provides two checkups/cleanings per year, radiographic images every year or two as your condition warrants, a fixed amount reimbursement allowance for treatments of cavities, an allowance for orthodontia, and fixed limits for other items. Not insurance because if you have an accident or unforseen major problem requiring other than normal maintenance procedures, you're on your own.

    Medical policies are a mix of prepayment for limited services and some degree of coverage (as olychick describes) for unforeseen major needs. Usually subject to a limit but usually an adequate one. The higher the co-pays and deductibles, the lower the premium. You pay for what coverage you want to have financially.

    It varies but many prescription policies are a little of both- but mostly not intended to cover "normal", recurring meds that people take. Thus starting out with a not-inconsequential deductible level first and then coverage when that's met, to protect against the greater costs of unforeseen needs. If you want a lower deductible ( and thus more of a prepaid services plan), the premium is higher.

  • 15 hours ago

    After October 15, you'll be able to compare plans and see if another plan fits your needs better. Go to Medicare.gov. Too early for the link, I think.

    jrb451 thanked sushipup2
  • 8 hours ago

    Bottom line it is expensve covering health costs for people who are not citizens. It's simple. Obamacare/socialized medicine is KILLING us. You are so right Annie, it is in our hands. Just remember you can't vote out communism.

  • 6 hours ago

    As far as I can tell at this point, my long time Medicare Part D says the premium increase is about $63/month and deductible from $130 to $300. That's an increase of over $1000/yr! And that doesn't include my cost for the one drug I take. I will be trying a cheaper drug, but the increase pretty much eats up most of the savings. I am already struggling and very few other options are available in my state. It's still too early to contact them.

    Also, let me just add, if you have Part D but you don't need the meds--don't cancel! You will need meds at some point in your life (unless you are extraordinarily fortunate) and the penalty for getting it again is large and increases monthly. Just look for the cheapest plan in your state.


    And arcy, you are so off in your comments that it's not worth attempting to correct you.

    jrb451 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • 4 hours ago

    " Bottom line it is expensve covering health costs for people who are not citizens. "

    It is expensive not covering it too, and those non-citizens also pay taxes. Shouldn't everyone who pays taxes be eligible to take advantage of the benefits those taxes pay for?

    " Just remember you can't vote out communism. "

    Remember, you can't vote out fascism either. Just sayin'

    jrb451 thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • 4 hours ago
    last modified: 4 hours ago

    To be fair, Arcy is right in a roundabout way about who pays. Federal spending is public money. US taxpayers funded that Part D insurer subsidy-and they also fund other federal health programs-including the limited federal share that can go to emergency care and other Medicaid dollars states spent. In other words, citizens pick up the federal tab in more than one place.

    Federal spending is public money...so US taxpayers fund that temporary Part D insurer subsidy the same way they fund other federal health programs. That extra help held premiums down AND it never showed up as a line on the bill for YOU to see (they hid it from you) AND it was always meant to be temporary-not permanent. Billions went to insurance companies so stand-alone drug plans would not look as expensive as the Inflation Reduction Act’s (thank you Sleepy Joe) had made them. I agree with the T administration for ending that extra subsidy . A plan that only looks cheap because Washington is quietly paying part of the bill is not a stable premium AND taxpayers should not keep floating these ridiculously expensive insurance companies. I have to say, this is one area I am disappointed in with T. I want him to scrap Obamacare or fix it. I do think it's in the works, but we should be seeing or hearing more about it by now.

    jrb451 thanked OllieJane
  • 3 hours ago

    I agree that we are all going to be paying more for less. I may be in the minority but if my paying more helps someone pay for their sick child to see a doctor Im ok with that. I am fortunately ok financially but I remember all too well the fear of not having enough money to make it through the month.

    jrb451 thanked satine100
  • 3 hours ago

    Got the news, too. Mine is up $37 - from $90.30 to 127. 30. My friends freak out when I tell them how much I pay for Plan D, but as mentioned above - at 73yrs. old who knows what medical issues I may have later and need expensive meds that a cheaper plan won't cover. Right now I take minimal meds, not costing me very much. I've had the same plan since I began Medicare at 65.


    So, I'm considering finally dropping my land line to help with the increase. That would mean $77 more in savings (my land line bill increased $5 just recently). I know land lines are a whole other topic of discussion.

    jrb451 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • 3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

    Of course I don’t have a problem helping a sick child. I do have a problem with pretending Obamacare is the only way to do it, or that it does it well. And, before the ACA-remember CHIP? Along with Medicaid, CHIP already covered low-income kids, if I remember correctly. After the ACA, a lot of middle-class working people still can’t afford their premiums and deductibles. Also, the marketplace plans cut the number of in-network doctors and hospitals to keep premiums from getting even higher! Which means the people in the middle got squeezed or let them out entirely-just so Washington could claim coverage numbers went up. Paying more for less is not the same thing as making sure a child sees a doctor. The only thing good that came out of ACA was to cover pre-existing conditions-which could be implemented with a new plan...whenever that may be UGH!

  • 3 hours ago

    Wouldn’t the $5000 promised payment go a long way in helping?

    jrb451 thanked roxsolid
  • 3 hours ago

    Satine, well said. I too remember the lean days, an awful feeling. Glad to help where I can. Helping those in need pulls us all up.

    As far as I know the federal government gets its money through taxes and treasury bonds, so yes, we pay for all kinds of programs. I can think of quite a few things Id rather get rid of than healthcare.

    I never come close to hitting my decuctible for Part D. However, I may need it some day. I think of it as car or home insurance. Im covered if the need arises.

    jrb451 thanked dedtired
  • 2 hours ago

    Regardless of who is at the helm, prices of all ilk, will never come down. Corporate greed will always protect its own, and will not allow that to happen!

    jrb451 thanked Love stone homes
  • 2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

    Illegal immigrants are eligible for federally funded medical? Please tell me how, I need to help some illegals navigate this.

  • 2 hours ago

    Your figures don't add up unless your rates are elevated for either a high Income Related surcharge, late enrollment penalties or you picked a high buck plan. $34.50 is the national average for a stand alone Part D plan, so what's up?

    People can vote in November for the illusion of more free stuff, and then pay a federal value added tax on everything else they buy if that is what they want, but it's going to add up to a hell of a lot more than $34.50 a month. And if they get their wish I hope they can afford a bag of snicker bars waiting for medical treatment, like Canadians are waiting now.


    Think of the money you'll save waiting nearly a year to get a prescription to even buy drugs when treatment does start. I can't believe the number of people on the waiting list for surgery or treatment who died before their number was called, it's big....really really big. Take that number and multiply it by 10 to match the U.S. population and it would dwarf the deaths from Covid during it's peak each year. If this is what you want to vote for, good luck in the future.


  • 1 hour ago

    " waiting for medical treatment, like Canadians are waiting now."

    Huh. I waited about 3 months for my total knee replacement, while a friend of mine in Maryland waited over 6 months for her gynecological surgery. I'm not denying that Canadians often wait for surgeries (a friend is getting a hip replaced after 10 months), but it's a lie to pretend that Americans also don't also often wait for surgery or specialist medical appointments.

    " Think of the money you'll save waiting nearly a year to get a prescription to even buy drugs when treatment does start. "

    Why do you think you can't get prescription meds while you wait for a procedure? What bizarro world are you living in?

    "I can't believe the number of people on the waiting list for surgery or treatment who died before their number was called, it's big....really really big. "

    Please share the details on that - I'd love to know.

  • 1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

    True, cdn healthcare sucks. Yet, it ranks neck in neck with usa health care. Both systems are horrid!

    Taiwan, South Korea..and many more rank way above both USA and Canada.

    These countries all offer a successful Universal health care system. .

    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/rankings/health

    https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world

    jrb451 thanked Love stone homes
  • 9 minutes ago

    " True, cdn healthcare sucks. "

    Canadian healthcare is pretty bloody good. I'd put it at about a 7/10.

    What have been your experiences with Canadian health care that make you say it sucks? The World Population Review you linked lists it 4th in the world.