Software
Houzz Logo Print
eld61

Share your whimsy!

22 hours ago
last modified: 22 hours ago

I love miniatures.

Here is one of quite a few I have sprinkled about my home. All have stories and are special to me.

Inside my dining room cabinet:



Each piece was a gift to me.

Comments (29)

  • 22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

    I like little birds. My hutch has little birds spring and summer. Here is a corner of my hutch. I used to collect miniature rabbits, but as you know they multiply amazingly.


    eld61 thanked ladypat1
  • 21 hours ago
    last modified: 21 hours ago

    I’m not sure if this is whimsy or not. It’s not miniature.

    I live in the middle of nowhere down a long driveway. There is a lot of room for visitors to park. However, everybody seemed to want to park right in front of the house next to a flower bed.

    I bought a full sized, working parking meter and set it in the flower bed. LOL, nobody parks there any more. Even delivery guys avoid it. I’ve seen them drive up and then back away to another spot.



    Sorry, I could only find a late winter picture. Occasionally, I empty it and there’s always a few coins in it.

    eta This is it from the porch side.



  • 21 hours ago

    I have several pieces of repurposed art. This one is called ”Photo Drama”.


    eld61 thanked jrb451
  • 21 hours ago

    jrb, I think your home must be a very interesting place! I’m still thinking about all those LPs you have.

    eld61 thanked roxsolid
  • 21 hours ago
    last modified: 20 hours ago

    Definitely not as pretty or decorative as ladypat’s and eld’s miniatures but here is a miniature in my beach holiday glass. I pick up things from beaches whenever I visit, and put them in a glass on my bathroom windowsill. It’s an ongoing thing. I toss them every so often.

    My latest find was a water baby.



    eld61 thanked roxsolid
  • 20 hours ago
    last modified: 20 hours ago

    Such fun. All whimsical! Very special when it brings memories back when you look at it.

  • 20 hours ago
    last modified: 19 hours ago

    Eld, I like your whimsy. Wish we could ’ like’ original posts.

    eld61 thanked petalique
  • 19 hours ago



    eld61 thanked petalique
  • 19 hours ago

    I love miniatures and other whimsical items. I'm not at home now so I cannot post any pictures.

    eld61 thanked Fun2BHere
  • 19 hours ago

    @jrb451 I was wondering what the term was for that type of sculpture. I had an acquaintance that used to make many interesting pieces.


    I had and have some odd pieces (like numeric keypads, old bathroom scales -for parts, other old ball parts that I put aside to donate to anyone doing that ”industrial parts” artwork, but didn’t know the term for it.


    I thought of mounting an old mobile phone or handset onto a bird nest box. That never came to fruition — turns out birds use burner phones.

    eld61 thanked petalique
  • 19 hours ago
    last modified: 19 hours ago

    I collect coffee cups. i try to find one from every place we visit but I’m picky, I only buy coffee cups I will use.

    I also have a huge collection of holiday cups including Valentines, Halloween and of course Christmas.

    They make me smile each morning when I decide which cup to use for the day.




    eld61 thanked theresafic
  • 19 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

    I’ve posted these before…mini veggies, fruits, beverages and cookbooks. The Silver Palate Desserts book is just 3x3.25 inches.




    Trio of platters, clock and book. Book is 2.25x3 inches.


    eld61 thanked chloebud
  • 18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

    Has anyone ever watched videos of miniature kitchens that work and produce real mini food? There are lots of videos…pretty amazing!


    eld61 thanked chloebud
  • 18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

    I love whimsy and miniatures, too! Chloe, your miniature cookbooks are adorable.

    Last year for my birthday, DS2 gave me this little tree made of twisted wire, on a stone base, with bench and swing. He had tucked light green tissue paper among the branches, and stuck pink map pins in, as blossoms (or fruitriot, but it was springtime so I choose blossoms lol). Ever since, I add or rotate little miniatures I have, with my mood or the seasons. Started with a little frog magnet from the refrigerator. Changing with the seasons. So when DS1 and DGF went to Scotland recently and asked what they could bring back, I asked for a wee highland sheep. And here she is! (the ducky in a captain’s hat is from a conference I went to this summer, he has now gone into hibernation till spring along with the birds, one is a pin. and the Eiffel Tower I picked up when I was an hour early for a concert so I went to the nearby French Bakery till my fellow ringers arrived. There was a little basket of Eiffel Towers at the counter. Couldn’t resist.)

    Anyway, it lives on our kitchen table. DH will sometimes add a tiny vase of flowers from outside. sorry for poor photo, it’s from a quick text to the DGF showing the sheep in its new pasture.





    eld61 thanked bpath
  • 18 hours ago

    I just received these from my MIL. My first cat gift since switching to team cat.




  • 18 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

    Cloe meanwhile further down the cabinet….

    Great minds think alike

  • 18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

    @petalique, I think the more correct term is ”assemblage art”. I knew “repurposed“ didn’t seem right when I posted earlier. I’ve always been a fan and have pieces inside and out. Here’s a couple more.

    Gladys the Preying Mantis.


    Tesla Pistol


    A toilet bowl float Fish used for a Wren’s nest


  • 18 hours ago

    Excellent, jrb!

  • 17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

    Thanks @jrb451

    This stuff is really fun! (Says someone with more broken pieces and parts than things which work — well, somedays it can feel this way.)


    PS I like blue pots also. One can never have too many.

    eld61 thanked petalique
  • 17 hours ago

    I don't do whimsy. We have few ornaments. Partly for aesthetics and partly for our aversion to dusting. Anything we do have has a history in the family. I don't want to acquire any more stuff.

    eld61 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

    eld, love those!👍🏻

    More videos…



  • 17 hours ago


    Senior year #1DD had the role of Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors. A few years later a retailer had a line of monster succulents we collected in rememberance. It makes for a fun Halloween display for her.

    eld61 thanked arcy_gw
  • 17 hours ago

    Albert guarding the kitchen timers:



    eld61 thanked lucillle
  • 17 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago



    Once upon a time my father rescued these two dwarves from the trash pick up in his neighborhood. The grand children LOVED them. Years later my folks dowsized. I have an extensive shade garden. They were passed to me. I thought they needed a home so we found a super cheap house on Marketplace and did our best to create the cottage from the movie. This is how we killed time during COVID lock downs. FF a few years and now I have grand daughters who love to come play.

    eld61 thanked arcy_gw
  • 16 hours ago

    theresafic That's my souvenir of choice too!!! Everyone always knows what's goign on this month by the cup that sits in my Keurig !

  • 15 hours ago

    Yes, its a cheap, silly hobby only for me.

  • 13 hours ago

    Arcy, my son was the dentist!

    My dear friend has a whimsy foyer table. The display changes constantly, but always whimsical, whatever my friend and her artistic daughter find or make.

  • 13 hours ago


    2010 I finished my 1st touring bicycle ride. ST. Augustine FL to San Diego CA. 64 days. The next morning at a sweet little coffee shop I saw these chickens in the pastry case. I asked if they were for sale and the young man said no his Mom had made them back home in El Salvador . I said they were wonderful and wished they were for sale. He smiled and said ” no”. Two days later before catching the train back to AL , my home then, I went back and said I still thought they were the most artistic and precious chickens . He thought about it and said , ” you can have them.”. I said I wanted to pay for them , he waited and said ,” $10 ?”. I think of him and his Mom and how much these chickens have meant to me and hope that he and his Mom are ok.


    The chicks are 1” tall. They are tiny pinecones.


    My grands have loved them. They hold them and give gentle pecking kisses. c

    eld61 thanked Still trailing