Software
Houzz Logo Print
tacorocket913

Please help me decide glossy or matte tile

23 hours ago
last modified: 23 hours ago

My new kitchen will be gutted soon and my small, windowless MCM kitchen is getting Ikea Havstorp beige slab cabinets and a polished quartz countertop (Silestone Calacatta Jadira). I've chosen a moss green subway tile for the backsplash and I'm at odds as to whether it should be glossy or matte. My instinct says glossy, but I've read that it could be overwhelming with so much light reflection. Could I please have your opinions?






Comments (23)

  • PRO
    21 hours ago

    If you want to stay true to MCM you do matte. That said original MCM homes often times had only a 4" lip of the formica or Wilsonart counters and painted walls or they had the same formica or Wilsonart taken up the wall.

  • 10 hours ago

    Pick the backsplash AFTER the cabinets and tops are all installed and the walls painted. Picking it now is the surest way to be disappointed.

  • 10 hours ago

    There is no rush to choose these tiles now as they will be installed last after everything is in and done so I would wait then buy a few more tiles and try them in the room but my first instinct is matte.

  • PRO
    9 hours ago

    Can you post photos of your kitchen? That will help everyone give you the best answer.

  • PRO
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

    MCM often had glossy tile , I do like the green but not really with the counter and why beige cabinets ?

  • PRO
    9 hours ago

    A glossy finish tile is not overwhelming in light reflection; go with your gut choice.

  • 9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

    The cabinets are greige slab. Isnt that a typical MCM choice? The counter has a thin green vein. Can you say more about yoir comments? @Patricia Colwell Consulting

  • 9 hours ago


    this is the kitchen as it is right now @Norwood Architects

  • PRO
    9 hours ago

    I kind of see the green in the counter now I do like the green it is the greige cabinet color I guess throws me off. It could I think mimic a pale wood tone so if you love it that is all that really matters . I did this original 1956 MCM kitchen in gray high gloss and the owners loved it



    tacorocket913 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting that is beautiful. My kitchen is tiny and windowless so i was trying to keep things as bright as possible but not white. there is a light grey option for the cabinets but greige seemed a bit more neutral

  • 7 hours ago

    If the space has no windows then you shouldn't get glare on the glossy tiles.

    I chose matte/honed tiles for my backsplash because I had a 10 ft wide x 5 ft high triple window on the sink wall and I had a lot of glare with the polished quartzite counters and any polished tiles I tested.

  • 7 hours ago

    Can you remove that wall or make it a half wall for more light.

  • 6 hours ago

    From experience, hold off choosing the backsplash until the end. When we were installing our tiles….hated the look and luckily were able to return. I don’t think glare is an issue in that area, but test both (tape a few of each to wall) and compare during the day and when the lights are on. Wouldn’t hurt to test other tiles also and keep in mind the flooring as well.




    tacorocket913 thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    5 hours ago

    I don’t care for the cabinet color with the other finishes.

  • 5 hours ago

    @Design Interior South what would you choose instead?


  • 5 hours ago

    No windows means task, ambient and possibly decorative 3500k led lighting should get some design effort. 4" recessedand undercab at least. And the color of white you have, 3500k for example, will greatly affect how everything looks. A workzone counter space should get a minimum 450 lumens at the surface. No shadowing.

  • 5 hours ago

    seems that the cabinet choice is polarizing. here's a pic in daylight of everything together. if you don't like the beige/greige/, what would you choose instead?


  • 4 hours ago

    +........consideration for white appliances.

  • PRO
    4 hours ago

    I would choose Ikeas Sinarp in Oak. Bring overhead lighting in. If you can remove the angled wall a small island




    if you cant remove the wall




    tacorocket913 thanked Design Interior South
  • 4 hours ago

    @Design Interior South these are beautiful. not sure how i missed them before.


  • 3 hours ago

    @Design Interior South what would you think about sinarp on the bottom and white vallstena on the top? i thought about this weeks ago but felt it would be too much for the small space

  • PRO
    2 hours ago

    It can certainly be done, but it would not really be true to authentic MCM architecture. In a space that small i would stick with one finish.