Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karennitsch

Question on the block wall which is beautiful.

karennitsch
10 years ago
Are there any concerns on the stability of the glass block wall. We are considering one but are concerned if someone slipped and fell into it.
How is it anchored? The blocks appear to be 12 x 12x 4. Thank you for your time. krn1944@aol.com
Tub-Less · More Info

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Innovate Building Solutions
    10 years ago
    Since glass block shower walls are either 3 7/8" thick or 3 1/8" thick they would provide much more stability for someone falling into them than a 1/4" or even a 1/2" thick glass. In addition the walls are anchored into the side as well. The glass block walls are usually grouted and with a new "vinyl stacking" process actually have more stability than the old ways of doing glass blocks (check out the image below and the web link for more information).

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/glass-block-shower
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Good point DreamBuilders! The new systems (like the image above) are actually more sturdy than the old block by block method and there is also no wire running through the courses that can rust down the road. Another benefit is with the vinyl stacking system the grout joints are only 1/8" vs. the block by block that ranges from 1/4" to 1/2".
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    Ooh, I like this very much. I wasn't aware that you could purchase a modular system instead of individual blocks. Any ideas where to find the systems in the US?
  • PRO
    DreamBuilders Home Remodeling
    10 years ago
    In Sacramento, Sierra Glass Block carries this. They could probably advise you where to purchase this in your location.
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    Thanks, DreamBuilders!
    Innovative Building Solutions, thank you for the info on the size of the blocks and the images to show how they attach.
    Have you ever seen someone color the grout and have it still look ok? And can these be used on curbless showers?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Zannej - with the system we have you can use any color of grout (we recommend using urethane grout..although sanded grout will work as well). I'll include a link to our site where you can find our modular system (we can prefabricate these sections and ship them to you as well):

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/glass-block-shower
  • zannej
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I like the gallery on your site.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Excellent Zannej - there are some fun things you can do with glass blocks!
  • Sofia Foo
    9 years ago
    so disrespectful to use buddha like statue to decorate the toilet...
  • zannej
    9 years ago
    The buddha statue isn't on the toilet-- its on the vanity. I don't see how that is "disrespectful". I highly doubt that Siddhartha Guatama would really have cared if someone put a statute of him in a bathroom.
  • Sofia Foo
    9 years ago
    it is in d toilet or washroom. ah well. I am a buddhist. so it's only me.
    imagine undressing n doing your business in d same area with buddha.
    n I defunitely wouldn't put d figure or jesus or mother mary in my washroom....
  • zannej
    9 years ago
    It can be weird what some people find to be disrespectful-- I know in some cultures, children are named "Jesus" as a sign of respect, but I've met Christians who find that "extremely disrespectful".
    I think the important thing to take into consideration is the intent. If the Buddha had been put in a jar of urine, then I could see that being disrespectful. I think the point in this case was to make the room more serene. For some people a bathroom is not just a place to eliminate waste, it is their sanctuary where they go to relax.