Software
Houzz Logo Print
sylwia2783

need help with living room

12 years ago
any ideas and thoughts

Comments (111)

  • 12 years ago
    Margo, after Sylwia said she'd welcome having someone design the whole room for her I saw no thread where you offered to help her and she accepted. Given this, I think it would have been polite to thank Genevieve for her input and then tell her (and the rest of us) that off line you and Sylwia had established a design contract and that further input from others is unwelcome. It's really quite unpleasant to log on to houzz and see people treating each other with unnecessary rudeness. Does that make sense?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI Paula Kates- first if you go up and read the posts

    Sylwia asks --Margo what are your suggestions for new furniture to this room? I'm open to all ideas...

    The next post under it Sylwia says-- if anyone can design this room with new furniture and decorate it, I will be more than happy:)

    I took this as an open invitation to make suggestions. Myself and everyone, it is in dilemmas. There is NO contract. This is an open forum.

    As far as Genevieve- there was definitely no rudeness , it was a inside joke. I like Genivieve and she often gives advice and photos I like. Even when we don't agree (like medicine cabinets ') we have not had any conflict. The remark was a jab at people who don't read the full dilemma and just make comments not knowing what has transpired in the thread. That happens all the time.

    I really don't like to open up my notifications and be called out as being rude when all I did was try to help Sylwia. She asked for my help?? What was I supposed to do ignore her. That would be rude.

    I hope this clear things up and makes sense and hope you have the courtesy to reply.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If we're telling each other how to behave on Houzz, you owe Margo an apology, Paula Kates.
    It's not up to you to police anyone. If you don't like a thread or aren't getting the attention you're looking for, move on. It is not necessary for anyone to state acceptance. The OPs post is a request for help and open to any member of Houzz to contribute with or without acknowledging other Houzzers. If Margo did have a contract with the OP it's none of your business.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Maquire!!

    I also would like to know Genivieve how you took my comment. I often state things with what I think is humorous . If it was not taken that way, then I will make a public apology.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Margo, it was funny. Genivieve usually reads the posts and I think she read most of this one before she posted but she missed your sofa suggestion. (Why would she think you'd put the patterned throw on Sylwias sofas?) You were joking with her that she missed an important post and the throw on the floral sofa wasn't what you were suggesting. No need to apologize.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the big clue that Margo's comment was in jest is that she ended her post to Genevieve with LOL.

    man, is there some kind of radiation coming off these computer screens that is infecting people with some kind of evil-wicked-mean and nasty disease?? This forum is supposed to be a pleasant pastime - read: a fun hobby - for all concerned. Please, please let's keep it that way!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well said Karemore!
  • 12 years ago
    And why why why are people picking on Margo? Margo, you know we all love you all to pieces! You know that, right? I'm just so upset at all this nonsense - a few are wrecking it for the rest of us.
  • 12 years ago
    Margo, you don't need to explain yourself. It was obvious Sylwia addressed you and then also asked for anyone to design the room. And you obliged. And contract? Lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Margo, if it was an inside joke then I'm sure you'll understand my sense of displeasure upon reading your above seemingly rude remark as I am no "insider." Nevertheless, I do apologize for creating further distraction from the topic by mistaking an insider joke for blatant rudeness; but please note that until you posted explaining the "insider joke" as such, none of us outsiders had enough information to "get it.".

    Upon reflection, perhaps if we don't want to insult potential customers, new designers or vendors maybe insider jokes posing as rude remarks might be best kept on the inside (wherever that might be) rather than out here as "[t]his is an open forum."

    My sincere apologies to sylwia2783 for getting sidetracked. Please forgive. :)
  • 12 years ago
    If you could afford it, I'd paint the living room a warmer brown tone and switch the coffee table for an ottoman. It won't be long before you baby will be crawling then running (walking is just a break from crawling) and with an ottoman you'll have less to worry about with accidental bumps and bruises. I personally love hard wood floors and could see a shag area rug in the middle.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    With all due respect Paula Kates I am not on here looking for a potential customer. I just do this as design is a passion. Kind of a woulda , coulda, shoulda thing. I also like to have fun while I am doing this. After all, there is no compensation except the satisfaction of helping someone. I repeat, I was making suggestions to Sylwia per request from me as well as ANYONE. You start this attack on me through Sylwia's thread and then apologize to her like you are some goody two shoes... get off your high horse and have some fun. BTW, why don't you find out someone's budget before you post such expensive things?
  • 12 years ago
    @Paula Kates, I reiterate - the clue that it was a joke was when Margo said LOL. How can you mistake that for a nasty comment?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Paula, what kind of apology is that? How about not calling people out on a forum you've been on for all of 10 minutes? You're not a Pro, no one would ask you for business and you certainly have no authority to tell anyone here how to conduct themselves. If you can't be sincere with an apology, don't bother.
    Anyone with a hot temper and no sense of humor won't find clients here. You poor dear, you must be thrilled with the attention you're finally getting. #childish
  • 12 years ago
    Sylvia, I also apologize for these nasty sidebars. To help you make sense of it, there have been a few of these highly critical posts coming onto various threads, especially this last week, and as you can see, it really really spoils the fun of us Houzzers. We are all, I think, truly interested in getting our passion for design and home improvement out there and are trying to do some good and have fun while doing so. After all, no one is getting paid to do this, so the motivation is clearly just the love of being able to help others. I see by the length of this thread that you are receiving lots of ideas and advice, and I hope that can continue without further interruption.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sylwia, I know you love the table from cymax. It's a great media table at a good price. You need to get it. Your husband will be so happy to have his TV in the room. On Houzz you'll get lots of opinions, it can be hard to weed through them all, but in the end all that matters is that you and your husband are happy. It's your home and you've made it very nice. Trust your good instincts.
    Buy the TV stand, then put it together and take another picture for us. We can help you find a vase, a little picture and candle for it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree with Maquire, If you start with the table and repost a picture we can start fresh. It will be a new dawn, and a new day...
  • 12 years ago
    Why is everyone so cranky today? This is suppose to be fun. Everyone is welcome, there are no contracts. Homeowner, takes a little from each post. Or nothing. Everyone is invited to respond. You do not have to be a pro. Some of the best advice come from non professional. There is a lot of teasing. And nothing should be taken personal.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nancy how do you always find the corners where someone is misbehaving?
  • 12 years ago
    Must be the full moon! :)
  • 12 years ago
    Lol, just lucky I guess.
  • 12 years ago
    Why Travis - I am in awe, you actually read a thread LOL (inside joke'))))))
  • 12 years ago
    Hello everyone. It's a long time since I checked in on this thread -- Sylwia I'm really glad you are considering changing the sofa and chairs, it gives you so much more freedom to make the room beautiful. Much has happened since my early tentative fiddling :-). I'm really looking forward to seeing you post a picture showing progress so far. And yes, I've been reading the thread, with fascination. Slap, whap, crash. Yo, sisters! I hope you're all cuddled in a night's peaceful sleep.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd like to just say that I love the things that Margo posted for you sylwia, I hope some of them are inspiring for you. Seems like they're all in the colors you love, but just a bit more updated and slightly less fussy, which is a great way to simplify your room. Great suggestions, not so great distractions. Full moon is right :)
  • 12 years ago
    Everyone, fyi, Sylwia has two other open design dilemmas going on, one for dining room adjacent to this LR, and another for her family room/breezeway area. In that discussion she does post some absolutely lovely inspiration pictures with colors and styles that she admires. They are beautiful! If anyone wants to out her colors/style preferences, search for "We need help to design breezeway" and the pix are about 2/3 of the way down, there are 10 of them. And yes, you may also note a pathetic looking hand-drawn room layout, obviously I am no professional but do love to play house! :) I'd be interested for anyone else to comment on these other rooms as this sweet young family seems to be struggling with pulling it all together, and you long-time Houzzers seem to have a lot of skill and good ideas between you. I am just a newbie!
  • 12 years ago
    You're also one of the nicest commenters we've seen, how pleasant to hear from someone so normal. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Lots of good advise here, didn't read them all but I do agree about the pillows ( get rid of them). If you already have a family room with the television, how about putting one of the wall mounted fireplaces on the wall facing the sofa? It would add warmth to that room.. Also ditch the plant, it is way too large.
  • 12 years ago
    Ninva, hi I like your comments and tips... also need your advices for a small room i have. Can i write you on email about it? Thank you!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Lydia,

    If you start a new discussion and post a photo of the rooms, and the post a link in this discussion I'll be able to pick it up. Regards, Ninva
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think it's your set up I think the lighting is positioned wrong and doesn't do anything for the nice things you have in the room. If you have spot lights shine on picture and walls to brighten up the space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think it needs a mural.
  • 12 years ago
    WOW- this post dredged up a lot of old memories LOL
    Slywia- did you ever get new furniture??
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe a change of window dressing that separates itself from the couch/loveseat. Maybe a pull up pleated shade in an almond color and a valance with some colors of the rest of the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Yoooo HOOOO Slywia.....any updates?
  • 11 years ago
    How the heck did you dig this one up, Margo? LOL the good old days!
  • 11 years ago

    I am still waiting Slywia?

  • 11 years ago
    Time to brush off the cobwebs, Margo - I don't think she's coming back:)

    What a gong show this one was lol.
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, this was back in the day when getting told off was actually fun;))

  • 11 years ago
    Ah, it was the Summer Of Love!
  • 11 years ago

    Memories.... pressed between the pages;)

  • 11 years ago

    Hello Margo!

  • 11 years ago

    Whooo HOOO Genevieve- wow- this is spectacular *waving* I feel like we are off to a Houzz reunion *clapping*;)

  • 11 years ago
    Isn't it "memories wipe the corners of my eyes.......misty water-colored memories of the way we were"? LOLOLOLOL. Or, are you making some reference to scrapbooking?

    Hey, Genevieve, my fellow Canadian! Have you put away the snow shovel yet?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Nice to see you :)

    Karemore , we had more snow tonight ,the shovel is still by the door ,it will be a while yet until we see the grass and the Daffodils.

  • 11 years ago

    Hayleydaniels just started a thread about someone dredging up all these old dilemma's from 2013, lol. I fessed up it was me and more to continue...why that kind of post just puts fire under me.....;))

  • 11 years ago

    Go ahead Margo. Have fun! I'll have to check some of them out.

  • 11 years ago
    Genevieve, I swear - you MUST move to the Okanagan! I saw peony buds poking through the ground yesterday - it was heaven! You easterners have really taken a beating this winter, that's for sure. The daffodils will be a very welcome sight!

    Margo, I can't believe Hayley would do that.....was it old posts in general, or just the ones you dredged up? She's a good sport - go easy on her!
  • 11 years ago
    Hayley, you really should check a couple of them out. When I read back through them, I couldn't believe some of the wacky stuff that was going in back then!
  • 11 years ago

    I will dream of the Okanagan's peony Karemore , over here the only plant that has some buds is my 25 years old Christmas cactus indoor :)

    i wish you all a very good night .

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would replace the brown love-seat with a comfy cozy chair and a half with a matching ottoman if there is enough leg room.If not, then a chair and a half would be much better and more up to date.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz