Software
Houzz Logo Print
pixie42

Need help with house exterior

12 years ago
My husband says we live in a garage. Well...he's right. This is the front of our house. You can't even see the front door. But the front door needs help too. Because we are on a cul de sac we don't have much of a front. Because we also live on a lake, we've given our attention to the back. But now it's time to do something to the front and we don't know what. The previous owner removed some of the brick and put in river rock, which clashes in our opinion. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Comments (8)

  • 12 years ago
    I assume your front door is to the right of the garages? How much space do you have to the right of the garages? It looks perhaps as though the lot line is just to the right of the right-hand palm tree?
    pixie42 thanked mjlb
  • 12 years ago
    I love the brick / stone work. Use those tones and paint if you can't replace the garage and front doors and surrounding trim to mimic that brick / stone detail's color. Stain the concrete leading to the front door, it's easy! Can you replace the front door hardware with some dark mediteranian style hardware, I can't see light fixtures but consider updating those too!
    pixie42 thanked rnonwheels
  • 12 years ago
    Now I saw the photos showing the side/front walk to front double doors. Use COLOR on your entry doors!!! Pick one that gives a hint what will be seen in the interior. Update the handle, etc. Large cement area...what about an outdoor rug--natural/straw color with dark brown/colorful edging...find an old entertainment center/armoire (open doors and fill with cute old pots or paint some and put greenery/flowers in them--real ones!) and make it "rustic" with paint & sandpaper, etc...maybe find an old iron bench or church pew...put both along the wall. Something like that...make it welcoming since entrance is so hidden.
    pixie42 thanked Susan Nelson
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, front entry is to the right of the garage doors. Lighting is recessed can lights.
  • 12 years ago
    If you could add a couple of scounces on the long garage wall next to the front entrance walk, it would certainly change the appearance, too. Maybe flush mount lanterns to keep them close to wall. Spread them out.
    pixie42 thanked Susan Nelson
  • 12 years ago
    I would paint the garage doors to match the house so they don't seem as prominent. Then I would add two VERY large planters, with colorful plants, on either side of your entry path, as a natural marker to your front door. It may be safer to have a full-width landing in front of your entry doors. The concrete walkway isn't very attractive, so any kind of paver would enhance the entry. I would paint the doors a bright, cheery color, and add decorative exterior lanterns to flank the door.

    If you're considering big changes, you could eliminate the peak of the garage, and add a peak over the pathway entrance, but that is major work. Good luck!
    pixie42 thanked mjlb
  • 12 years ago
    wouldn't change the peak of the garage because of the expense, plus there is the peak over the upper porch on the left which kind of balances. Love the planter idea. I have some planters that are empty and we could move them around and see where they work best. My husband wants to change the garage doors. I've offered to paint them (I do faux finishes) but it's usually too hot when the weather is nice. I know, poor excuse. It's mostly because we keep waffling.